Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Re: Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Bowdlerising Factory

Post by Tessa K » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:31 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:59 pm
Well, we fundamentally disagree.

You think if a child is constantly hearing racist comments, fiction will reinforce those views.

I think if a child is constantly hearing racist comments, fiction can break the child free from those views because it creates new societies for the child to inhabit.

And when a black child reads the protagonist using racist words, innate sense of right and wrong is strong enough for the child to react against the protagonist and gain a stronger sense of self and reinforced sense of right and wrong.
Maybe we should ask a POC rather than making assumptions

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:54 pm

lpm wrote:
And when a black child reads the protagonist using racist words, innate sense of right and wrong is strong enough for the child to react against the protagonist and gain a stronger sense of self and reinforced sense of right and wrong.
That sounds useful. What's the right amount of of racism for a 8 year old black kid to encounter in their books for this effect to work? Do we need more racism?
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:31 pm
Maybe we should ask a POC rather than making assumptions
I have got the impression from reading what POC have to say on things like this that positive role models are preferred to casual racism.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:55 pm

lpm wrote:
Well, we fundamentally disagree.

You think if a child is constantly hearing racist comments, fiction will reinforce those views.

I think if a child is constantly hearing racist comments, fiction can break the child free from those views because it creates new societies for the child to inhabit.

Alternatively it could be as described by the people in EPD's links.

The is reasonable evidence that official approval or disapproval of acts or lifestyles has an impact on the attitudes of people who are not actively campaigning on them. Kids who come across bigotry aimed at them are just as likely to appreciate a place where it isn't as to somehow develop Inner strength from bullies getting more ammunition against them.

You could make the same argument that you are making for keeping background bigotry in books in favour of page 3, or showing Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson on primetime TV.

The culture warriors are against removing it in part because it provides cover for their views.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:41 pm

lpm wrote:
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", so let's keep making our kids' lives miserable.
I don't think that is a good argument.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:01 pm

You're all reacting like Dahl etc is packed with bigotry. Which is nonsense. Anyone got examples of what they want removed?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:02 pm

jaap wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:41 pm
lpm wrote:
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", so let's keep making our kids' lives miserable.
What doesn't kill you can leave you scarred, damaged and fearful.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:33 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:01 pm
You're all reacting like Dahl etc is packed with bigotry. Which is nonsense. Anyone got examples of what they want removed?
I thought we'd moved on to talking more generally.

I'm just going to go and punch a kid in the face, so when they're grown up they know what it'll feel like to be punched in the face by someone who learnt it's sometimes ok to punch people in the face when they were a kid.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:02 pm
jaap wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:41 pm
lpm wrote:
What doesn't kill you can leave you scarred, damaged and fearful.
Even just being forced to go through preparations for harms that might possibly kill you can do terrible damage. e.g. PTSD and other harms experienced by US school children due to active shooter drills in schools.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:14 pm

Lol. You've all gone silly.

Fiction is about empathy. Protagonists in children's books are underdogs, orphans, the weak finding strength, escapees from adult control...

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:16 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:14 pm

Fiction is about empathy. Protagonists in children's books are underdogs, orphans, the weak finding strength, escapees from adult control...
It's not just about the protagonists, is it? That's very simplistic.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:47 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:16 pm
lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:14 pm

It's not just about the protagonists, is it? That's very simplistic.
Yes, ridiculously so. LPM might want to find out why "fridging" in films and stories is so problematic.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:48 pm

Sorry, I'm still giggling at the idea children's fiction is so racist it leaves kids with PTSD.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:49 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:48 pm
Sorry, I'm still giggling at the idea children's fiction is so racist it leaves kids with PTSD.
Clearly you aren't here for a rational discussion then, since no one mentioned that.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Someone did, here viewtopic.php?p=144163#p144163

Some other moron compared it to being punched in the face, here viewtopic.php?p=144160#p144160

Another idiot thinks children's fiction makes our kids' lives miserable, here viewtopic.php?p=144153#p144153

What I want to know is, what the hell kind of childrens books are you lot thinking of?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:03 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:00 pm
You don't read so good, do you? Because that post does not say what you claim it does.

In fact, you've made up your claim out of whole cloth, and are just lying because your crap argument isn't getting any traction.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:11 pm

lpm wrote:
Some other moron compared it to being punched in the face, here viewtopic.php?p=144160#p144160
Don't call me a moron (or anyone else for that matter).

And I'm pretty sure you know what an analogy is and how they work.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:18 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:03 pm
lpm wrote:
You don't read so good, do you? Because that post does not say what you claim it does.

In fact, you've made up your claim out of whole cloth, and are just lying because your crap argument isn't getting any traction.
Come on, put up or shut up. Name a children's book that is so terrible it will give PTSD, is analogous to a punch in the face or makes childrens lives miserable.

Or stop being so silly and actually address the topic at hand:

- childrens books are often about the powerless against the strong
- they build empathy with the downtrodden
- minorities, the bullied and the unhappy in particular identify with the characters who reflect their lives
- there's legacy racism in old books that are fading away
- there's the occasional odd word or unthinking comment in more recent books
- representation is important and is a feature of a lot of current publishing
- the default white male annoys children and turns them into activists. It does not make them spineless because the heroes they are reading about are never spineless

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:22 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:18 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:03 pm
lpm wrote:

Come on, put up or shut up. Name a children's book that is so terrible it will give PTSD.
I'm bored of your lies now.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 pm

You made the analogy. There's a whole bunch of you presenting the argument that some books are so bad it's analogous to a punch in the face.

I'm simply asking you to suggest one book that is even remotely like that.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:33 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 pm
You made the analogy. There's a whole bunch of you presenting the argument that some books are so bad it's analogous to a punch in the face.
I didn't make an analogy. Do you understand what the letters "e.g." signify? Where do you see mention of books in my post?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:34 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:33 pm
lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 pm
I didn't make an analogy.
Yeah, that was me.

And the analogy wasn't about the books.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:05 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:18 pm
<Snip>

Or stop being so silly and actually address the topic at hand:

- minorities, the bullied and the unhappy in particular identify with the characters who reflect their lives
- the default white male annoys children and turns them into activists. It does not make them spineless because the heroes they are reading about are never spineless

And when the unstated assumptions in the story actually have a genuinely downtrodden group painted as antagonists, possibly playing into historic antisemitic or racist tropes? How does that build empathy?

so why not remove bits of legacy racism that does nothing for the story, but just makes the book a bit hurtful?

There's a difference between a lack of positive role models and a surfit of negative ones.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm

No examples, jimbob?

I don't think you can remove racism from the colonial books like Rider Haggard or similar jingoistic books from that era. They have faded away already. Willard Price is an interesting example - a left wing progressive writer who in our era is racist. Not sure if that series has gone yet.

There are plenty of books, on the other hand, that are perfectly fine once a single word is removed, as I suggested for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Big Six.

Please say which books you are thinking of with a surfit of negative role models.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:35 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm
No examples, jimbob?

I don't think you can remove racism from the colonial books like Rider Haggard or similar jingoistic books from that era. They have faded away already. Willard Price is an interesting example - a left wing progressive writer who in our era is racist. Not sure if that series has gone yet.

There are plenty of books, on the other hand, that are perfectly fine once a single word is removed, as I suggested for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Big Six.

Please say which books you are thinking of with a surfit of negative role models.

I thought you were arguing against removing those individual words.

And whilst Willard Price might have been progressive once, the whole story is full of a paternalistic attitude to non whites. I don't think there's much left if you remove that.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:06 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:35 pm
lpm wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm
No examples, jimbob?

I thought you were arguing against removing those individual words.

And whilst Willard Price might have been progressive once, the whole story is full of a paternalistic attitude to non whites. I don't think there's much left if you remove that.
I remember Willard Price but all I remember is that two boys had adventures with animals (it was a very long time ago). I've heard since that they were racist and can't help wondering what values I absorbed unconsciously as a child. My parents had no idea what I was reading but they wouldn't have objected.