March 2023 Budget

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
TopBadger
Catbabel

March 2023 Budget

Post by TopBadger » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 am

Lots of coverage for the alleged announcement of free child care hours for 1-2 year olds.

I'm not convinced this will make a jot of difference... and I say that based on the observation that when my kids moved from paid to "30 hours free" my monthly nursery bills were about the same... because 30 hours free never meant free, its subsidized, and to such a low level that the nursery had to charge for other things or tie it to days / hours of provision that meant you ended up paying the same.

So if this announcement is actually going to make it pay for parents to get back into work, it has to actually save money for them.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: March 2023 Budget

Post by Gfamily » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:58 am

It's also quite possible that a Nursery which only has space for 20 children will go from 5 carers to 4 carers.

Usefully freeing them up 1 former carer for a job in manufacturing.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:38 pm

Ha, what an idiot to highlight swimming pools.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:19 pm

Ha, and the Scottish lot got excited when he was silly enough to praise independence.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:00 pm

This shows what technocrats do well. I thought it was a good budget.

Didn't like the continued fossil fuel subsidies, obvs, and the very very rich got extra tax breaks on super high pensions, but meh.

The good stuff should have been done years go. Help for young mothers and help for people with disabilities to get back to work, plus things like helping children in care and boosting the drug, film and AI industries. The Conservatives problems are:

- they haven't the competence to execute on any of this
- these are all long term measures that will benefit people and the economy in the 2-10 year time horizon, i.e. helps the next government

Has to be said, given what he inherited Hunt has done a remarkably good job in getting things back to cohesion in just 6 months.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:41 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:00 pm
Has to be said, given what he inherited Hunt has done a remarkably good job in getting things back to cohesion in just 6 months.
That’s a very low bar to get over
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:12 pm

lpm wrote:
This shows what technocrats do well. I thought it was a good budget.

Didn't like the continued fossil fuel subsidies, obvs, and the very very rich got extra tax breaks on super high pensions, but meh.

The good stuff should have been done years go. Help for young mothers and help for people with disabilities to get back to work, plus things like helping children in care and boosting the drug, film and AI industries. The Conservatives problems are:

- they haven't the competence to execute on any of this
- these are all long term measures that will benefit people and the economy in the 2-10 year time horizon, i.e. helps the next government

He made a good job of sounding like he was in control and fixing things. Whether that is true is another matter.

JC identified problems, which is a good start, sometimes even being fairly honest about the scale of some of the problem. Then he said he was fixing it. But many of the fixes won't be enough, or don't address the deeper issue that causes the problem. For example the tweaks he mentioned on the investment side won't go anywhere near fixing our large national shortfall in R&D in comparison to peer economies. And we've heard fine words about making it easier for businesses to get the finance they need before, but fixing it has often amounted to ramping up the risk in financial markets, without actually fixing it. I think it's a difficult problem and the likelihood they will solve it in a hurry is low.

The pension changes and doctors issue are an interesting case study. After saying no doctor should be limiting their hours due to pension distortions - a problem they finally admitted to about 6 or 7 years ago, but did nothing about in all that time - he then admitted that the changes to "fix it" only solve it for only about 80% of doctors. So in fact he hasn't addressed the underlying problem. But he has given money away to lots of rich people.

I'm suspicious of the disability changes until I have read some kind of an expert appraisal. They have a history of being nasty in this area, which I suspect they haven't suddenly recovered from.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:41 pm
lpm wrote:
That’s a very low bar to get over
It is a very low bar, yes. But nonetheless surprising that there's a Tory capable of getting over it.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:38 pm

There were a couple of secret bits to the pensions announcements.

1) 25% tax free lump sum is only tax free for the first £250k. This sort of existed before because of the £1m cap, but now it's an explicit limit

2) Can start drawing pensions and still invest in your pension fund up to £10k (instead of current £4k) and get the tax bribe

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 am

The pension changes are supposedly to encourage older people to keep working, but it could have the opposite effect. By increasing the annual allowance, it's now easier for people to reach the size of pot they need to retire.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:14 pm

dccarm wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 am
The pension changes are supposedly to encourage older people to keep working, but it could have the opposite effect. By increasing the annual allowance, it's now easier for people to reach the size of pot they need to retire.
This is a good point. Savings went up when interest rates fell very low during the global financial crisis, and I'm pretty sure this contributed to it.

A lot of people save money so that they have enough later. Certainly the way I think. So reducing interest rates encourages people, who think like that, to save more. In fact, the way legacy final-salary pension funds work institutionalises this behaviour, as such funds are required to ensure they have enough money to pay out, which means they have to take higher contributions during periods of low interest rates.

I see that the Labour Party are now sufficiently outraged by this quiet hand-out to the rich to call it out, and say they would cancel it.