Food waste

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Food waste

Post by Gfamily » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm

I'm thinking the Death of Fossil Fuels discussion on food waste could be usefully split into its own thread.

We've downloaded the Too Good To Waste app which notifies of offers of food that's coming near its use by date. Their selection, and usually at about 60% off.
Last week we got a ping about bundles from our local Aldi, so got some chicken, pork steaks, a couple of prepared salads, a fruit salad, 3x broccoli heads, a cauliflower and a Savoy cabbage, some mushrooms, 2 bags of little carrots, some yoghurts and a loaf of mother's pride.
All with the same 'use by' date that we picked it up, but apart from the carrots everything was good for a few days, and much seems good for a week at least.

We composted the carrots.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Food waste

Post by shpalman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:30 pm

A number which has just been posted on our internal mailing list by a professor of applied physical chemistry is 540 g of food per person per week in Italy "post large organized distribution" .
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:30 pm
large organized distribution"
Rather odd this. Why no article in English or Spanish? Looking at the French language page, which I find easier to read, I see that there is a warning at the top of the page that this is an analysis from a particular cultural perspective. The German language article has a complaint at the top about verifiability.

The French and Italian articles seem to be about supermarket chains. Whereas the German and Swedish language articles seem to be about distribution logistics, and make little reference to supermarkets, and have quite different bibliographies. Why the latter two articles should be linked specifically to those French and Italian articles, and not others on distribution logistics, seems unclear.

In the French and Italian case, I'm inclined to suspect an academic job creation scheme.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:28 pm

I reckon I put about 100g of used teabags (wet weight) in the compost bin per day - so would that count as 'food waste' ?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:53 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:28 pm
I reckon I put about 100g of used teabags (wet weight) in the compost bin per day - so would that count as 'food waste' ?
Here’s the methodology for the Eurostat estimates. I think used tea is included in the definition.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistic ... t_EU_level