Phone alert test

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Phone alert test

Post by Tessa K » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:09 pm

So I was all ready for my phone to shout at me at 3pm and ... nothing.

Did anyone else not get it? I'm in central London.

TimW
Catbabel

Re: Phone alert test

Post by TimW » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:12 pm

Aha, yes same here.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:15 pm

Probably Elon Musk's fault.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:34 pm

Nothing here in Marple either
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:00 pm

Nothing on either of my phones. How will the nano bots in my vaccine be aciivated now?
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:31 pm

A friend wrapped his phone in tinfoil to see if it acted as a Faraday cage. He didn't get the alert until he unwrapped it.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Nothing here in the Lincolnshire wolds.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:45 pm

From the BBC

The emergency test alert was a message aimed at keeping people "safe" but this wasn't quite the case for those reading in Welsh.

For the phrase "others safe" the message read "eraill yn Vogel" when it should have been "eraill yn ddiogel".

"Vogel" is a complete nonsense word in Welsh - although it is a ski resort in Slovenia.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:57 pm

Could be that it's the Three network that didn't get alerts, apparently.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:13 pm

TimW wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:57 pm
Yeah, that would explain it for me.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:16 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:13 pm
TimW wrote:
Or if your a certain age and they are trying to cut down on the pensions bill...

I didn't get it and I'm on O2.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:17 pm

I was at a family gathering in Northamptonshire. 13 mobile phones in one room. 12 went off almost simultaneously - not exactly at the same moment but the first was still going when the last started. Then, a good couple of minutes after the others had finished, my brother's finally went off.

The family joke will, of course, forever now be that he is bottom of the priority list for being saved. Women and children ... everyone else ... my brother.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Aitch wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:16 pm
Grumble wrote:
TimW wrote:
Or if your a certain age and they are trying to cut down on the pensions bill...

I'm EE and no alert.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:05 pm

I was in a tent with about 70 people, and most of them (including MrsG) got the alert on the dot of 3pm.
One or two people received it about 2 minutes later, but mine didn't come through for another 5 minutes.
We're both on the same network (BT via EE) - the only difference was that her phone was locked, while I had mine active as we approached the alert due time.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Aitch wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:16 pm
Grumble wrote:
TimW wrote:

Likewise
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:02 pm

Was wandering around the Coop when I wondered what the strange noise was.... then realised it was also coming from my pocket as well as around me and the penny dropped.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:24 am

Not all of you are scheduled to survive the upcoming Event.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:00 am

Is there any record of it having been received by your phone, if you were not by your phone at the precise moment? Seems mad if there isn't something you can see later, if you just happened to wander away from it.

No one in our family is aware of having received it, or has any record of it, 2 x O2 + 1 Vodafone.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am

IvanV wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:00 am
Is there any record of it having been received by your phone, if you were not by your phone at the precise moment? Seems mad if there isn't something you can see later, if you just happened to wander away from it.

No one in our family is aware of having received it, or has any record of it, 2 x O2 + 1 Vodafone.
Edit: I'm a complete idiot and totally missed the relevant thing so have deleted what I originally wrote and replaced with this...

Under the Emergency Alerts settings, I have an "Emergency alert history" heading. Tapping on that shows the categorisation (in this case "Severe Alert") and first part of the text, along with date and time received. Then tapping on that shows the full text.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am
IvanV wrote:

Edit: I'm a complete idiot and totally missed the relevant thing so have deleted what I originally wrote and replaced with this...

Under the Emergency Alerts settings, I have an "Emergency alert history" heading. Tapping on that shows the categorisation (in this case "Severe Alert") and first part of the text, along with date and time received. Then tapping on that shows the full text.
Who's going to be looking through their Emergency Alert history to discover whether there was an emergency alert they missed?

My 6-yr-old android phone, which is no longer supported for operating system updates, has no Emergency Alert setting. Maybe I could never have got an emergency alert because my phone doesn't support them.

My daughter's rather newer android phone - she's the one with Vodafone - does have an Emergency Alert setting, and the history shows no alerts.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:45 am
bagpuss wrote:
IvanV wrote:

Who's going to be looking through their Emergency Alert history to discover whether there was an emergency alert they missed?

My 6-yr-old android phone, which is no longer supported for operating system updates, has no Emergency Alert setting. Maybe I could never have got an emergency alert because my phone doesn't support them.

My daughter's rather newer android phone - she's the one with Vodafone - does have an Emergency Alert setting, and the history shows no alerts.
My phone has a history showing no alert. Pixel 6 on O2 in Derbyshire.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:15 pm

IvanV wrote:
bagpuss wrote:
IvanV wrote:

Sorry, I remain a complete idiot. Also sorry for the long delayed reply - I'd half typed it out when I had the dreaded "your child is ill" call from the school (nothing too serious but I had to scoot off and collect her).

I was too hasty in deleting the whole of my original post. Part of it said that I thought the message part of the alert would stay on screen until you tapped to make it go, even if that was a long time after it arrived. But I'm not 100% sure. If anyone has the message in their history but didn't see it on the screen at any point then that will demonstrate that my belief is wrong.

If you don't have Emergency Alert settings then I don't think your phone is able to receive them.

And if there's nothing in the history for someone who has history, then they probably never received it. Although Three seems to have had the most failures, there do seem to have been a lot of O2 customers who didn't get it either.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:19 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:34 pm
I'm EE and no alert.
I'm EE and got it.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:49 pm

IvanV wrote:
I've done that before.

I woke up one morning with a message from my mother in law asking if we were alright because they heard about a tornado. I had a look to see if we slept through any alerts. We did have a storm that night, which I slept through, but we were never in a warning zone for a tornado, so no alert.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:29 pm

I got it, you're all just jealous
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued