whats DeSantis done now

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Imrael
Snowbonk

whats DeSantis done now

Post by Imrael » Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 pm

I see that Latino truck drivers are annoyed with DeSantis/Florida, buit can work out why from news and googling. Can anyone help me out on this?

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: whats DeSantis done now

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Imrael wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 pm
I see that Latino truck drivers are annoyed with DeSantis/Florida, buit can work out why from news and googling. Can anyone help me out on this?
The other day I saw that a clampdown on undocumented workers had brought a number of construction sites to a standstill in Florida, could be related to that? Latinos are exactly the kind of people to be unfairly profiled in that sort of situation. Just guesswork on my part, though.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat May 13, 2023 10:23 pm

^^^ That’s what it is.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 15, 2023 2:00 pm

He's now signed a bill that would allow doctors and medical centres to refuse health care that might violate their moral, ethical or religious convictions and they also aren't obliged to inform the person where they might be able to get that care... plus they can't be disciplined for doing so.

I can't see this ending well.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Mon May 15, 2023 3:11 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:23 pm
Imrael wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:13 pm
The other day I saw that a clampdown on undocumented workers had brought a number of construction sites to a standstill in Florida, could be related to that? Latinos are exactly the kind of people to be unfairly profiled in that sort of situation. Just guesswork on my part, though.
Yep. Completely predictable too, especially as it's exactly what happened before in other places - clicky.

(The worst of the law in Alabama was gutted via legal proceedings, it was an agreement rather than a ruling though. It's probable that when they started arresting Important Germans working at the car factories that they had made a mistake, but farmers watching their crops rot wouldn't have helped either. The requirement for employers to check immigration status is still on the books, but it's ignored.)

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon May 15, 2023 3:12 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 2:00 pm
He's now signed a bill that would allow doctors and medical centres to refuse health care that might violate their moral, ethical or religious convictions and they also aren't obliged to inform the person where they might be able to get that care... plus they can't be disciplined for doing so.

I can't see this ending well.
It'll be hideous, and it's meant to be. The cruelty is the point. There's a lot of drugs that could cause abortion/prevent pregnancy that are used for so many other things, so there's whole categories of care that will be denied to women and girls and trans men - including for the latter their hormone therapy. Mind you I can't see religious dipshits being too willing to prescribe hormone therapy for trans women either. Or PrEP for gay and bi men. And of course the intended denial of reproductive rights is itself abhhorent.

When people are too religious to be willing to do a vital component of their f.cking job, whatever their job may be, the answer is for them to resign, and leave the role to someone who will do their job. People who think their beliefs are more important than others healthcare deserve to be beaten with rusty rebar.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon May 15, 2023 4:16 pm

The actual outcome of many of these medical restrictions (although this isn't directly a restriction) is that healthcare providers stop working in that state. For example, there's basically no ob-gyn care in Montana (I think) now, due to abortion restrictions.

Health insurance networks are also often state-based, so it may be much harder to get out-of-state care paid for as fully.