Five people die in two Glasgow 'drug den' hotels in just 19 days

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

Five people die in two Glasgow 'drug den' hotels in just 19 days

Post by discovolante » Mon May 29, 2023 11:56 pm

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... w-27005099

I'm awake because I've had too much coffee so I'm not going to say anything too coherent about this right now, but f.ck this. Putting people with a history of drug use in hostels and hotels with other people with a history of drug use, and where drug use is notoriously rife, is dangerous. I've lost count of the number of people I've worked for who have begged not to be put in places like this, and this is why.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: Five people die in two Glasgow 'drug den' hotels in just 19 days

Post by EACLucifer » Tue May 30, 2023 12:22 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:56 pm
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... w-27005099

I'm awake because I've had too much coffee so I'm not going to say anything too coherent about this right now, but f.ck this. Putting people with a history of drug use in hostels and hotels with other people with a history of drug use, and where drug use is notoriously rife, is dangerous. I've lost count of the number of people I've worked for who have begged not to be put in places like this, and this is why.
It's utterly callous, it's treating a human being as a problem, a thing to be kept out of sight and as long as they are out of sight who cares about their needs. I don't have words right now for the people who sit in offices and come up with policies like this for the most vulnerable in our society.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Re: Five people die in two Glasgow 'drug den' hotels in just 19 days

Post by discovolante » Tue May 30, 2023 12:43 am

Day to day, it's fundamentally a shortage of accommodation, imo, the Rennie mackintosh is not supported accommodation, but your prospects of ending up somewhere like that are almost certainly higher if you're single with no dependents...etc. Obviously a shortage of accommodation has its own causes.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.