Johnson - goodbye, or au revoir?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Johnson - goodbye, or au revoir?

Post by Fishnut » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:25 pm

Johnson's resigned.

Is this the end of his political career, or is this just to free him up to run in Dories constituency?

In support of the former, he's achieved his aim of being PM so not just go into the far more lucrative private sector.

In support of the latter, the guy has a giant ego and loves the attention.

Place your bets
it's okay to say "I don't know"

lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Johnson - goodbye, or au revoir?

Post by lpm » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:28 pm

Oh wow, this is beautiful, I'm loving every moment of it.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:55 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:28 pm
Oh wow, this is beautiful, I'm loving every moment of it.
They really have f.cked over Sunak.

That's one way to bury the slightly awkward news for Sunak about Bambos Charalambous being suspended from the Labour party.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 am

Its the long term plan for a historic double. Remember that he was born in the USA. If he obtains citizenship he'd be entitled to run for President :D

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:25 am

Imrael wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:10 am
Its the long term plan for a historic double. Remember that he was born in the USA. If he obtains citizenship he'd be entitled to run for President :D
A Johnson presidential campaign would be amusing. But he renounced his US citizenship some years ago.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:34 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:25 am
Imrael wrote:
A Johnson presidential campaign would be amusing. But he renounced his US citizenship some years ago.
Can one un-renounce?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:35 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:34 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Imrael wrote:
Can one un-renounce?
I don’t know. But it would be a difficult thing to sell to the electorate.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:42 am

Perhaps Johnson could be appointed Governor of Odessa region in Ukraine.

There is a precedent. In 2015 Mikheil Saakashvili, former president of Georgia, was appointed governor. Saakashvili is currently in jail in Georgia having been convicted for offences committed while he was in power.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm

Grumble wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:
Can one un-renounce?
In 2016. And no, you can't un-renounce, with some exceptions that could hardly apply in his case.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:41 pm

IvanV wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:27 pm
Grumble wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:
Can one un-renounce?
In 2016. And no, you can't un-renounce, with some exceptions that could hardly apply in his case.
He could go via the green card, same as any other non USian (one of the questions is "have you been a citizen before", or similar). It'll take him a while because USCIS is sloooowww and you (normally) have to wait 5 years before you can apply for citizenship after it's been accepted.

Sunak is closer to being a USian than Johnson, because he's had his green card a while now.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:55 pm

monkey wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:41 pm
IvanV wrote:
Grumble wrote:
Can one un-renounce?
He could go via the green card, same as any other non USian (one of the questions is "have you been a citizen before", or similar). It'll take him a while because USCIS is sloooowww and you (normally) have to wait 5 years before you can apply for citizenship after it's been accepted.

Sunak is closer to being a USian than Johnson, because he's had his green card a while now.
I suppose you can't rule out him going through that process to give him a potential option to stand in 2032, or even later, when he will still be a spring chicken by the standards of the current front-runners. With Johnson, something may happen, you never know what..

But will they vote for him? We know that many USanians will happily vote for lying buffoons, even more than many English people did. And that evangelicals will vote for sinners who are clearly only going through the motions of saying the right(wing) things.

But will they vote for someone so obviously English? I think he's just too famous already over there to do a Hugh Laurie.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:59 pm

monkey wrote:
IvanV wrote:
Grumble wrote:

Can one un-renounce?

Sunak no longer had a Green Card. You are supposed to be a permanent US resident to hold a green card, though you are allowed to leave for several months at a time. Sunak holding a Green Card while being a UK, let alone PM meant he wasn’t a UK resident. This strikes me as well out of order and should ideally make someone ineligible to hold elected office.

*I believe that you are supposed to lose it if out of the country for over a year.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:15 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:59 pm
monkey wrote:
IvanV wrote:

Sunak no longer had a Green Card. You are supposed to be a permanent US resident to hold a green card, though you are allowed to leave for several months at a time. Sunak holding a Green Card while being a UK, let alone PM meant he wasn’t a UK resident. This strikes me as well out of order and should ideally make someone ineligible to hold elected office.

*I believe that you are supposed to lose it if out of the country for over a year.
If your going to be out of the country for more than a year you lose it, but you can apply to keep it. Sunak was doing that. It was a thing that came up during his leadership election. He might have given it up cos of that, but I don't remember reading so.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:28 am

Mogg says...
Former Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has warned the Conservatives against any attempt to block Boris Johnson if he seeks to stand in another parliamentary constituency.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-65869516

Boris couldn't stand in one of the other upcoming by-elections could he? If he's a Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds at the time?

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:35 am

If Johnson regained his citizenship via green card and settling there, he wouldn’t be a natural born American administratively. Normally that rules him out of running for President.

But I dare say that one could go to court.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:08 am

temptar wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:35 am
If Johnson regained his citizenship via green card and settling there, he wouldn’t be a natural born American administratively. Normally that rules him out of running for President.

But I dare say that one could go to court.
He was born in New York city.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:11 am

I know. But if his citizenship doesn’t arise from that any more, and this is, granted, an unusual case, because he rescinded it, it becomes less clear that he can run.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:14 am

bob sterman wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:28 am
Mogg says...
Former Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has warned the Conservatives against any attempt to block Boris Johnson if he seeks to stand in another parliamentary constituency.

Boris couldn't stand in one of the other upcoming by-elections could he? If he's a Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds at the time?
They are only this silly title for a minute if they want to be.

I don't see where it gets him. When he becomes an MP again won't he face a suspension again? The House would vote in favour of it. And then there'd be a recall and he'd have to stand to retain his new seat. He just gets more disgraced with each step. Presumably if he becomes an MP again in 2050 he'd still be subject to a suspension vote.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:50 pm

temptar wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:11 am
I know. But if his citizenship doesn’t arise from that any more, and this is, granted, an unusual case, because he rescinded it, it becomes less clear that he can run.
The fourteen year residency requirement means that 2040 is the earliest he could run, even if he got past this requirement.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:59 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:28 am
Mogg says...

A "National Conservatism Party" applied to be registered this week. Although whether that's a serious attempt at a new party is not at all clear, c given the other registration applications.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... plications

geejaytee
Clardic Fug

Post by geejaytee » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:04 pm

Looking further down that page, you see the National Housing Party,
National Housing Party United Kingdom
Part of the UK that this application applies to: Northern Ireland

Proposed name: National Housing Party United Kingdom

Proposed descriptions:

The Party That Cares About Housing
Housing Crisis Needs To Be Addressed
Everyone Deserves Their Own Home
Every Citizen Deserves An Affordable Home
And you think, "Oh yeah, I could get behind that". Then you see the following

National Housing Party Scrap Windsor Framework
UK Citizens First For Housing
National Housing Party Northern Ireland First
National Housing Party UK Citizens First
National Housing Party No More Refugees
National Housing Party Putting UK First
National Housing Party Want Full Brexit
National Housing Party No More Immigration
and its proposed emblem and you think "sh.t, it's another BNP".

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:00 pm

I was one of the people suggesting Boris might run for President but I did just mean it as a joke or rather feeble satire on his enormous ego. The Yanks wouldn't go for him, in fact many of them would need subtitles to understand him.

I doubt we've seen the last of him though.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:20 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:00 pm
I was one of the people suggesting Boris might run for President but I did just mean it as a joke or rather feeble satire on his enormous ego. The Yanks wouldn't go for him, in fact many of them would need subtitles to understand him.

I think he’ll probably just up grifting in the media along the lines of Farage. Stirring up outrage to keep his name in the headlines and booking speaking tours with the crazies.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:33 pm

I predict he won’t get a show on GB News because I don’t think him and Farage think the room is big enough for the both of them. Alternatively he will and Farage will do one.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:36 pm

bjn wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:20 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:00 pm

I think he’ll probably just up grifting in the media along the lines of Farage. Stirring up outrage to keep his name in the headlines and booking speaking tours with the crazies.
Or if Mick Herron's books are prophecy rather than fiction he'll run a PR company.