Russian Civil War

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Russian Civil War

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:13 pm

Kompromat has to be stuff nobody knows about. The entire Russian govt is organised crime.

There's nothing to expose that would worry Putin.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:05 pm

IvanV wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:17 am
Clearly they developed a mutually useful relationship such that Prigozhin was more useful alive than dead.
Maybe it's a "Brokeback Mountain" kinda thing? What's Russian for "I wish I knew how to quit you"

There... that's a mental image absolutely no one wanted.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:07 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:13 pm
Kompromat has to be stuff nobody knows about. The entire Russian govt is organised crime.

Indeed, I'm struggling to think of any leverage that couldn't be dealt with by the application of lethal force.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:09 pm

lpm wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of "exposure that means that Putin won't ever be rehabilitated in the West, and sanctions will stay on Russia forever", or "exposure that will turn China against Russia", rather than internal Kompromat.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:10 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:05 pm
IvanV wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:17 am
Clearly they developed a mutually useful relationship such that Prigozhin was more useful alive than dead.
Maybe it's a "Brokeback Mountain" kinda thing? What's Russian for "I wish I knew how to quit you"

There... that's a mental image absolutely no one wanted.
That mental image has been around since the topless Putin on horseback photo.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:16 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:09 pm
lpm wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of "exposure that means that Putin won't ever be rehabilitated in the West, and sanctions will stay on Russia forever", or "exposure that will turn China against Russia", rather than internal Kompromat.
Something like Putin ordering a nerve agent attack in Britain that murders a British citizen?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:20 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:16 pm
dyqik wrote:
lpm wrote:

Something like Putin ordering a nerve agent attack in Britain that murders a British citizen?
Something like that, with undeniable evidence that leads to significant political pressure and outrage. e.g. attacks directly targeted at US citizens in the US (as opposed to attacks directed at Russian dissident immigrants to a country where the ruling party is deeply in bed with Russian oligarchs).

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:25 pm

Another option would be revelations that effectively dismantle Putin's influence network in the West - e.g. that certain politicians are working for him directly.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:38 pm

dyqik wrote:
lpm wrote:

Again, I come back to this though
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:07 pm
lpm wrote:

Indeed, I'm struggling to think of any leverage that couldn't be dealt with by the application of lethal force.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:40 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
lpm wrote:

jimbob wrote:
lpm wrote:

We know that, but it's not currently leading to significant political pressure to investigate and dismantle Putin's influence networks. That can change with the right amount of outrage.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:00 pm

lpm wrote:

Perhaps not these days. And sufficiently in control of the media to laugh it off. But even now the Kremlin rubs people out who try to bring up evidence that the government are gangsters, if those people have sufficient credibility they are hard to ignore.

But back when he was trying to become president, and in early re-election campaigns, when his position was not so firmly cemented, it was apparently a sufficiently large liability to make it worthwhile quietly rubbing out quite a lot of people. Putin's rise was far from inevitable and hung on quite a few imponderables. We forget what a surprising and unknown person he was to become president when he was first elected.

As for poisoning "traitors" who ran away abroad, I suspect that's not a bad look with much of the local electorate.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:40 pm
jimbob wrote:
dyqik wrote:

jimbob wrote:

We know that, but it's not currently leading to significant political pressure to investigate and dismantle Putin's influence networks. That can change with the right amount of outrage.
My point is that how could Prigozhin keep that as a plausible threat if he's dead. Also, any damage from such revelations or attacks has to be counted against any damage from letting Prigozhin get away with his defiance.

Similarly, if he has gone back to Russia, what leverage has Putin got on him that he's willing to go into Putin's direct control?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:15 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:01 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:40 pm
jimbob wrote:

My point is that how could Prigozhin keep that as a plausible threat if he's dead. Also, any damage from such revelations or attacks has to be counted against any damage from letting Prigozhin get away with his defiance.
Having evidence that will be released on your death is a pretty standard insurance policy.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:16 pm

I was just about to say the same thing.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:15 pm
Having evidence that will be released on your death is a pretty standard insurance policy.
But has this ever happened?

In reality? Not in movies or books?

Any events in history where revelations have been triggered by a murder insurance policy?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:32 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:31 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:15 pm
But has this ever happened?

In reality? Not in movies or books?

Any events in history where revelations have been triggered by a murder insurance policy?
What would the answers to these question tell us?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:46 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:32 pm
My suspicion is it's all bollocks, these insurance policies don't exist in real life.

I think Putin would laugh if you told him envelopes with Kompromat will be sent to every news organisation in 24 hours unless you are alive to stop it. He'd laugh, then gesture to a henchman who'd put a bullet in your head.

Prigozhin doesn't seem like a subtle kind of guy anyway.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:56 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:46 pm
dyqik wrote:
My suspicion is it's all bollocks, these insurance policies don't exist in real life.

I think Putin would laugh if you told him envelopes with Kompromat will be sent to every news organisation in 24 hours unless you are alive to stop it. He'd laugh, then gesture to a henchman who'd put a bullet in your head.

It could also tell us that they are incredibly effective, so that they've never had to be triggered. ;)

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:09 pm

It's hard to imagine what sort of material would worry Putin.

Prigozhin dies, kompromat is released, Putin says it's fake, Russian media eagerly agrees it's fake and blames CIA or whoever, business as usual.

The only sort of thing that would matter would be a revelation that Putin somehow f.cked over all the other oligarchs. It's only compromising if it gets believed by people who might be able to do something about it.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:09 pm
It's hard to imagine what sort of material would worry Putin.

Prigozhin dies, kompromat is released, Putin says it's fake, Russian media eagerly agrees it's fake and blames CIA or whoever, business as usual.

The only sort of thing that would matter would be a revelation that Putin somehow f.cked over all the other oligarchs. It's only compromising if it gets believed by people who might be able to do something about it.
This is the reasoning that led me towards something affecting the west or China that leads to even heavier sanctions on Russia and the oligarchs.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:24 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:46 pm
dyqik wrote:

Pretty much my reasoning

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:12 am

Martin Y wrote:
The only sort of thing that would matter would be a revelation that Putin somehow f.cked over all the other oligarchs.
Which he has done, as is well documented in Belton's book and is in general bleeding obvious. Oligarchs either have to pay court to Putin and supply him with lots of money, or else be sent to the lard mines/fall out of window.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:03 pm

IvanV wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:12 am
Martin Y wrote:
The only sort of thing that would matter would be a revelation that Putin somehow f.cked over all the other oligarchs.
Which he has done, as is well documented in Belton's book and is in general bleeding obvious. Oligarchs either have to pay court to Putin and supply him with lots of money, or else be sent to the lard mines/fall out of window.
Exactly, that's factored in. And it's hard to think of any revelation other than military secrets or numbered bank details that would have much effect and those could dealt with by killing Prigozhin

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:15 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:03 pm
IvanV wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:12 am
Martin Y wrote:
Exactly, that's factored in. And it's hard to think of any revelation other than military secrets or numbered bank details that would have much effect and those could dealt with by killing Prigozhin
A few other hypotheticals I can think of, that could be part of the insurance thing mentioned upthread: details of bank transfers to Western politicians or influential media persons, details of population scale attacks on other countries (at the extremely speculative fiction end of things, imagine if Putin was responsible for CoVID).

The likely alternative is that Putin needs Wagner as an independent military force to prevent coups from the military, while using the military to prevent coups from Wagner.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:23 pm

Or it's a lovers' tiff and they've kissed and made up. It's as likely as any other theory.