Threads

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Threads

Post by Tessa K » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:44 pm

Has anyone tried it yet? Is it a flash in the pan or a good alternative to tw.tter?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Threads

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:57 pm

I've looked at other people's stuff on it. Videos are annoying just like on instagram. Otherwise, I'm sure it'll turn out just as toxic and ruinous and sh.t as twitter has.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Threads?

Bleak, horrifying, apocalyptic - and the 1984 film with the same name was quite disturbing too.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:04 pm

Never tweeted, ain't gonna thread either...
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:15 pm

It's a great way to enable tracking of all your online activity, to enable the next Cambridge Analytica.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:15 pm

I'm in the EU so locked out of it.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Formerly AvP
Stargoon

Post by Formerly AvP » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:09 am

yes, but will joining it (even if you don't use it) annoy Elon?
Was Allo V Psycho, but when my laptop died, I lost all the info on it...

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:48 am

Problem: Twitter is run by a malignant billionaire and is starting to show me a bit more crap I don't want to see instead of stuff I do

Solution: Move to a similar platform launched by the malignant billionaire who runs Facebook, which shows me ten times more crap I don't want to see than stuff I do and whose business model is based on industrial scale privacy invasion

Well I'm certainly convinced
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:10 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:15 pm
It's a great way to enable tracking of all your online activity, to enable the next Cambridge Analytica.
From what I have gleaned, possibly even worse
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:07 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:48 am
Problem: Twitter is run by a malignant billionaire and is starting to show me a bit more crap I don't want to see instead of stuff I do

Solution: Move to a similar platform launched by the malignant billionaire who runs Facebook, which shows me ten times more crap I don't want to see than stuff I do and whose business model is based on industrial scale privacy invasion

Well I'm certainly convinced
Alternative: move to Bluesky, run by the malignant tech-bro who created Twitter, forced the malignant billionaire to buy it, and who hangs out with far-right activists talking about freedom of speech.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:35 pm

Meta is already banning sex positive posts which doesn't bode well for Threads

https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/inst ... 92893.html

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:53 pm

Blimey, "sex positive", haven't heard that BS in a while.

Sexual content and social media doesn't mix. You can either have

- a social media site with low levels of sexual material, while having plenty of misogyny and attempts to bully women out of the space

or

- a social media site with packed with p.rnography and sexually abusive material, while being horrifically misogynistic and successfully driving out women with violent and sexual threats

Choose.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:00 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:53 pm
Blimey, "sex positive", haven't heard that BS in a while
Stop being a tedious neopuritan. Perhaps you might try reading the story linked, or if that is too difficult for you, take a look at the identity of the people demonstrating against censorship.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:13 pm

Facebook has been at the most restrictive end of the spectrum for ever. They are permanently against anything vaguely linked to sexual content. It must be over a decade since rows about breastfeeding, free the nipple, mastectomy photos and all the rest.

If you actually read the article you would see it was people thinking the Meta/Facebook eco system was the right place to build sexual activity related communities. It's not censorship that's causing them problems, it's their own stupidity.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 pm

Twitter is awash with prostitution and p.rn adverts, as I discovered when I clicked to reveal a hidden response to a post I was reading. There was no warning it was going to be an advert for a prostitute. That’s what free speech absolutism gives you. There’s an argument that Meta are too restrictive but they are under no obligation to host sex related stuff. I doubt you can successfully allow sexual activity related posting and weed out prostitution.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 pm
Twitter is awash with prostitution and p.rn adverts, as I discovered when I clicked to reveal a hidden response to a post I was reading. There was no warning it was going to be an advert for a prostitute. That’s what free speech absolutism gives you. There’s an argument that Meta are too restrictive but they are under no obligation to host sex related stuff. I doubt you can successfully allow sexual activity related posting and weed out prostitution.
Surely it's not too hard to distinguish between educational material and p.rn though.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:47 pm
Grumble wrote:
Surely it's not too hard to distinguish between educational material and p.rn though.
It is hard if you business model relies on not being able to afford employing humans to moderate things properly.

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:21 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:54 pm
It is hard if your business model relies on not being able to afford employing humans to moderate things properly.
...while monetising the data

sh.t thats an ugly term

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:26 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sex work ads seems an odd thing to worry about, in a world of paedo rings, revenge p.rn, rape, incel terrorism, etc

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:26 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tessa K wrote:
Grumble wrote:
It is hard if you business model relies on not being able to afford employing humans to moderate things properly.
Are you implying it's easy if you do employ loads of people? This famous problem of defining what is p.rnography?

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:28 pm

Threads? a bleak drama set in a hopeless desolate urban hellscape, which then gets worse when the ruskies nuke it.

sorry sheffield i love you really

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:30 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:26 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tessa K wrote:

Are you implying it's easy if you do employ loads of people? This famous problem of defining what is p.rnography?
It's easier if you employ enough people to apply your rules than if you don't.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:12 pm

noggins wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:26 pm
Grumble wrote:
Sex work ads seems an odd thing to worry about, in a world of paedo rings, revenge p.rn, rape, incel terrorism, etc
Does it? Why? Pretty sure I can be concerned about all of those things, I just happened to accidentally open a sex work ad, I’ve never - accidentally or otherwise - opened a paedo ring post on Twitter, so maybe they have some standards.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three