Suffer the little children, tory version

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
noggins
Snowbonk

Suffer the little children, tory version

Post by noggins » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:36 pm

Intellectually I understamd we treat asylum seekers like sh.t, but sometimes you need a to trivial story get under your defenses and kick you in the nuts.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... lum-centre

Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Suffer the little children, tory version

Post by Fishnut » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:42 pm

The murals are trivial, the fact a government minister has decided they need painting over because god forbid we show some compassion to kids who have been though hell is most definitely not trivial. That the minister for immigration thinks this is where he should be focusing his attention rather than, say, looking for the the 154 children who are missing after being placed in the care of his department speaks volumes.

We have a government that is built on callousness. That is built on inhumanity. That is built on denying basic human dignity wherever possible.

I just don't know how we make things better. Refugee numbers are only going to increase as parts of the world become uninhabitable due to climate change. And yet we have a government refusing to do anything to combat climate change while simultaneously refusing to deal with the consequences of their inaction.

I despair.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:06 am

Unless the definition of refugee is changed, people who are displaced due to climate change are not going to get any of that protection. The UNHCR's work on this seems to reflect what a patchwork of issues is: https://www.unhcr.org/what-we-do/build- ... change-and. The painting over the murals is ridiculously petty and callous. But, they got some nicer sofas because they were told to, so that's alright.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:10 pm

I actually think and hope that this performative cruelty losses some of the remaining habitual Tory voter ls
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm

It's that horrendous logic. They want to make the immigration experience totally and utterly unpleasant in the hope that people will choose to leave and word spreads to discourage others coming.

It's the same with the migrant hotels. There is a deliberate policy of not cleaning them in order that they become inhospitable.

As it is with the Rwanda policy. The Tories hope that the additional cost will be outweighed by the overall outcome of reduced immigration.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:42 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm
It's that horrendous logic. They want to make the immigration experience totally and utterly unpleasant in the hope that people will choose to leave and word spreads to discourage others coming.

It's the same with the migrant hotels. There is a deliberate policy of not cleaning them in order that they become inhospitable.

As it is with the Rwanda policy. The Tories hope that the additional cost will be outweighed by the overall outcome of reduced immigration.
I don’t even think it is that well thought out. They just want to have something to show to the racists and the Daily Mail happy and don’t care if it works or not.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:34 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:42 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:51 pm

I don’t even think it is that well thought out. They just want to have something to show to the racists and the Daily Mail happy and don’t care if it works or not.
I don't even think it's as considered as that.
Is there a possible headline that would present the removal of child friendly murals in a child detention centre as 'a positive story'?
It's not that, it's that their second thoughts have overtaken their first (or their third thoughts).

First thought - oh, a nice welcoming, child friendly mural
Second thought - we don't want to be welcoming, so we must remove the mural,
Third thought - given that the children are not 'drawn by' the mural; how will this look when it comes to headlines ?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:47 am

Fourth thought - “Are we the baddies?”

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 am

headshot wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:47 am
Fourth thought - “Are we the baddies?”
They’ll never get to that point.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 am

<double post>

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:59 pm

As Michael Rosen asked: Will they be burning the picture books too?
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:33 am

After reading the op and replies, I just gotta wonder if this thread isn't really about the repugnicans. But I'm quite sure if you just switched out tories for repugs and set it in Miami, nobody would even blink

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:41 am

Al Capone Junior wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:33 am
After reading the op and replies, I just gotta wonder if this thread isn't really about the repugnicans. But I'm quite sure if you just switched out tories for repugs and set it in Miami, nobody would even blink
They literally use the same political strategists.

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:34 pm

'It is the correct decision these facilities have the requisite decoration befitting their purpose' condescends Lord Murray, who was made a life peer by Liz Truss last October, to Lord Dubs, who arrived in Britain as a refugee from the Nazis in the Kindertransport in 1939.

https://twitter.com/ECPATUK/status/1678 ... 80449?s=20
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through