Flu vaccine 2023

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Flu vaccine 2023

Post by Tessa K » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm

The vaccine is available earlier this year, from September 11. I've booked mine. The cost at Boots has gone up to £20.

Last year I got flu just before the vaccine was available so I've got in early.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Re: Flu vaccine 2023

Post by Al Capone Junior » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 am

There's been a rash of covid 'round here lately. As far as I can tell it's mostly unvaccinated ppl spreading it around amoungst each other, with vaccinated ppl mostly shrugging their shoulders and saying "what? Me worry? "

Last time I had the flu I was flirting with death so I'm getting the flu shot asap. Plus the 2nd shingles shot.

I get mine without the tracking microchips. When they see I have a cell phone they realize it's just not necessary :roll:

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:23 am

Al Capone Junior wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 am
There's been a rash of covid 'round here lately. As far as I can tell it's mostly unvaccinated ppl spreading it around amoungst each other, with vaccinated ppl mostly shrugging their shoulders and saying "what? Me worry? "

Last time I had the flu I was flirting with death so I'm getting the flu shot asap. Plus the 2nd shingles shot.

I get mine without the tracking microchips. When they see I have a cell phone they realize it's just not necessary :roll:
I've gone back to masking on the train to work and on planes. Particularly because tomorrow is move in day for the new college year, plus schools started yesterday, so a large number of college kids are moving from around the country and getting together and spreading germs.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am

Tessa K wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm
The vaccine is available earlier this year, from September 11. I've booked mine. The cost at Boots has gone up to £20.

The first available appointment for me in Boots is October 1st. On the NHS website you have to wait to get an appointment if in the vulnerable groups.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... a-vaccine/

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am
Tessa K wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm

The first available appointment for me in Boots is October 1st. On the NHS website you have to wait to get an appointment if in the vulnerable groups.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... a-vaccine/
Maybe I got lucky as the second one I tried had appointments on Sept 13 but I do live in central London where there is more choice and the good people of Camden are historically low on vaccine uptake.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:01 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:23 am
Al Capone Junior wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:44 am

I've gone back to masking on the train to work and on planes. Particularly because tomorrow is move in day for the new college year, plus schools started yesterday, so a large number of college kids are moving from around the country and getting together and spreading germs.
Yes it seems there are many opportunities to exchange viruses (and other stuff) all around us every day. Covid just got spread around at work again (doing stage hand work mostly atm^).
F
*been training and working as a rigger. Very intense! As I don't really like to be under pressure, I have no idea why I do sound and rigging :shock:

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:31 am

This might be a daft question but if you were to pay a few quid to get a flue vaccine asap could you then have another one in 12 weeks to act as a booster?

Just thinking about trying not to infect my caree.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:06 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:31 am
This might be a daft question but if you were to pay a few quid to get a flue vaccine asap could you then have another one in 12 weeks to act as a booster?

Just thinking about trying not to infect my caree.
As far as I know you don't need a booster. It lasts around six months.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:38 pm

I'm just going to turn up on the day at a bigger Boots.

I'll probably wait until October.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Anyway, I think a mini lockdown will happen regarding the latest variant of Covid.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:51 pm

My work was offering flu jabs for the last two years, which I took up. What with COVID around, I think they didn't want any more staff off with flu too. I'm going to see if they offer it again before I go elsewhere.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:05 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:40 pm
Anyway, I think a mini lockdown will happen regarding the latest variant of Covid.
How could they justify a lockdown without offering the vaccine to everyone first?

Not going to happen.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:29 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:40 pm
BA.2.86 doesn’t seem to be that dangerous. At least so far it hasn’t been shown to evade the immune system better that other variants or to cause more serious illness. It’s still worth keeping an eye on it and other variants.

For example, there was a recent outbreak in a Norfolk care home. Back in 2020 that would have been very serious. But so far among 33 people who tested positive 14 were asymptomatic, and after a week only 4 hadn’t recovered (including one person needed hospital treatment).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... riefing-53