RAACed with guilt?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: RAACed with guilt?

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:56 am

lpm wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:08 pm
I did mention the need for investment in mental and physical health. At the risk of sounding Sheldrakey, it's unacceptable that our society pays ill people to sit on benefits at home, when an investment in mental health would return people to happier lives, get them into the work force, and lead to further health improvements from the self esteem benefits of rewarding jobs.
As mentioned in other threads very long waiting times for NHS treatments appear to be a cause of large numbers of people being out of the workforce due to poor health. Everyone would benefit if they were to be treated.

That said, unfortunately at a population level treatments for depression (the most common mental health problem) may not be effective. Since the late 1980s there have been several new treatments and a large increase in the number of people being treated for depression. However, at a population level prevalence hasn't decreased. Much needs to be understood better, but it looks like over the long-term and in real world conditions treatments are much less effective than claimed.
Popular article: https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/depress ... ox/Journal article: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/518785356.pdf

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 am

IvanV wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am
Only a little thing among many, but I'd put a big tax on large cars.
TAX AND SPEND LABOUR WAGE WAR ON MOTORISTS
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:07 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 am
IvanV wrote:
Why we can't have a similar impact for a headline on how the heartless nasty party starve the NHS of money while fat cats drive around in their wankermobiles Porsches I'm not sure.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 am

IvanV wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:07 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:57 am
IvanV wrote:
Why we can't have a similar impact for a headline on how the heartless nasty party starve the NHS of money while fat cats drive around in their wankermobiles Porsches I'm not sure.
Is it because newspaper proprietors are driving around in their wankpanzers not using the NHS?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:34 am

Don’t get me wrong, tax is a fine way to fund things, and printing money shouldn’t be done during periods of high inflation.

A huge chunk of this is down to the idiotic austerity under Cameron, where the government had access to low interest rates during a period of low inflation and could either have printed a bit more money or issued bonds to fund things, rather than strangle the economy as they did. The bond markets at the time were very keen on government bonds.

ETA. I really should have quotes Ivan who I was answering.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:40 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:50 am
The British people remain as steadfastly incapable of understanding that good services means high investment which means higher taxes, and will continue to fail to vote for parties who show even the vaguest inclination to create good services.
Yes, there's only one thing more despicable than Conservative governments, and that's the electorate who keep voting them in.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:09 am

w.nkers, every one of them
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:42 pm

There's raac in the school I occasionally work in that's been known about for several years. Funding is already in place to sort it. MP for the area is a Tory.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:45 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:40 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
The British people remain as steadfastly incapable of understanding that good services means high investment which means higher taxes, and will continue to fail to vote for parties who show even the vaguest inclination to create good services.
Yes, there's only one thing more despicable than Conservative governments, and that's the electorate who keep voting them in.
Racism is key to this, whisper it, even amongst Labour traditional voters. For the purposes of doubt I stood for Labour in a traditional Tory area in the recent council elections. I didn't win, but didn't come last.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:21 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:45 pm
lpm wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:40 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Racism is key to this, whisper it, even amongst Labour traditional voters. For the purposes of doubt I stood for Labour in a traditional Tory area in the recent council elections. I didn't win, but didn't come last.
I remember talking to someone who told me how he thought Labour generally had the right idea but not about race. It’s amazing how comfortable other white people are at sharing their racism with me, a white middle aged man.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three