Zoe diet

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Banana
Gray Pubic

Zoe diet

Post by Banana » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 am

My fad diet loving sister-in-law has been lecturing me over the delights of the Zoe diet and how considering my gut bacteria is the key to weight loss. From what I can see it seems to be based in an area of "needs more research" rather than the rock-solid science that SIL tends to assume

Has anyone else looked into it? done the test?

B

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Re: Zoe diet

Post by bob sterman » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 am

Banana wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 am
My fad diet loving sister-in-law has been lecturing me over the delights of the Zoe diet and how considering my gut bacteria is the key to weight loss. From what I can see it seems to be based in an area of "needs more research" rather than the rock-solid science that SIL tends to assume

B
Personally - I have found the speed with which Spector converted the COVID symptom study with its app - into a monetized diet programme - to be a little disconcerting.

"Membership plans start from £24.99 per month plus £299.99 for the test kit (or you can pay for the test kit in six interest-free instalments of £49.99)."

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:12 am

I’m very interested in the subject of the microbiome and health (rather than specifically weight loss) and Spector has written some interesting stuff but I think he over eggs the pudding. It reminds me of when Michael Moseley went from making very good documentaries on the history of medicine to pumping out fad books every five minutes.

May I recommend this excellent Science Vs podcast on the subject? Facts against faeces.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-v ... -superfood

This episode of the Sliced Bread podcast is also pretty good https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j2sl
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am

bob sterman wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 am
Banana wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 am

B
Personally - I have found the speed with which Spector converted the COVID symptom study with its app - into a monetized diet programme - to be a little disconcerting.

"Membership plans start from £24.99 per month plus £299.99 for the test kit (or you can pay for the test kit in six interest-free instalments of £49.99)."
Likewise.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:05 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:57 am
Me three.

A (unless I’m mistaken) former forum member has a review paper out which sounds like it may be relevant to the discussion.
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:13 pm

The reverse is probably the case: they were able to roll out the CoVID app because they were reasonably far along with developing a paid for app.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:54 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:13 pm
The reverse is probably the case: they were able to roll out the CoVID app because they were reasonably far along with developing a paid for app.
From what I remember the Covid app was spun out of their study into twins: https://twinsuk.ac.uk/when-it-comes-to- ... t-fit-all/