I mean, rape, sexual assault and coercive control are all crimes
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: Russell Brand

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:33 pm

Opti wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:15 pm
The list of names coming out in support of the man are entirely unsurprising.
c.nts one and all.
Never a truer word spoken.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm

Catherine Ryan spoke to Louis Theroux about being assaulted by an unnamed comedian. Everyone in the biz knows who she meant.

There's a clip in Despatches of Bob Geldof calling him a c.nt. His reaction is interesting.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Funniest reaction on Facebook:
It’s never the ones you expect, is it?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm
Catherine Ryan spoke to Louis Theroux about being assaulted by an unnamed comedian. Everyone in the biz knows who she meant.
I thought she said that she wasn't assaulted herself, but trusted people told her about Him.

Also, I think it's important to also note that the reason that she didn't name anyone (publicly) was because of fear of legal action and/or being blacklisted.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:34 pm

From Cold War Steve:
20230918_203000.jpg
20230918_203000.jpg (471.09 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18 pm
The only surprising thing about this news is that it's news.

"Russell Brand is serial sexual predator" is something I thought would have come out during the height of the MeToo revelations; to the extent that I thought it probably had and I'd just missed it under the tsunami of revelations of other thoroughly despicable actors/directors/producers/etc.
Your post in The Onion: https://www.theonion.com/nation-could-h ... 1850849838

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:39 pm

News Thump 8 years ago...
“I also think he’s got problems with women, and that’s me saying that.”
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 pm
Throughout his career, Brand’s material has acknowledged his sex addiction and he has often publicly joked about his predatory behaviour and sex life.

There were rumours of more sinister behaviour — said to be discussed as an “open secret” by senior TV and radio executives, and among female comedians who warned each other of his behaviour — but the women involved previously felt unable to speak out...

His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times.
I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:46 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:50 pm
Martin_B wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:18 pm
The only surprising thing about this news is that it's news.

"Russell Brand is serial sexual predator" is something I thought would have come out during the height of the MeToo revelations; to the extent that I thought it probably had and I'd just missed it under the tsunami of revelations of other thoroughly despicable actors/directors/producers/etc.
Your post in The Onion: https://www.theonion.com/nation-could-h ... 1850849838
Nice to know it wasn't just me, then. Although, reading his Wikipedia page (I know) there were allegations from Dannii Minogue from 2006.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:16 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:07 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Throughout his career, Brand’s material has acknowledged his sex addiction and he has often publicly joked about his predatory behaviour and sex life.

There were rumours of more sinister behaviour — said to be discussed as an “open secret” by senior TV and radio executives, and among female comedians who warned each other of his behaviour — but the women involved previously felt unable to speak out...

His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times.
I can't imagine why women would feel unable to speak out about a guy who had been lauded in the tabloids for his sexual exploits.
But, if the 80 per month is true, then a lot of women find the middle aged catweasel, predatory sex pirate actually attractive. I, as a hetrosexual cis male, find this inexplicable, just as I find the so called attractiveness of the female Kardassians, inexplicable.
But the fact remains that some people find the superficially attractive, obvious sex symbol, to be actually attractive and I don't understand that.
Many people find confidence attractive, and quite a few think the word salad that comes out of his mouth is a sign of intelligence.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:16 am
Boustrophedon wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

Many people find confidence attractive, and quite a few think the word salad that comes out of his mouth is a sign of intelligence.
Fame always attracts groupies and boys/men who want to align themselves with 'heroes'.

Youtube has now blocked him from making money from his vids. Which will of course stoke the fire of his persecution conspiracy theory.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:46 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

He was awarded 'Shagger of the Year' in 2006, 2007 and 2008, when he was between 31 and 33 years old.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:41 am

Not so much a catweasel, more an aye-aye.
Attachments
20230919_103930.jpg
20230919_103930.jpg (663.3 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:04 am

Really good episode of the Newsagents podcast on this subject including a couple of fascinating interviews

Allison Pearson doesn’t come out well

https://pca.st/episode/afbacd92-7652-41 ... 94e9c169c6
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:35 pm
I must admit I didn't watch the Dispatches documentary. Daughter did and asked me if I wanted to watch it too but I couldn't really bear to. Brand almost immediately struck me as a revolting person and the thought of watching people describe how his horrible behaviour crossed into criminality just depressed me.

The strange thing is that watching susequent chat about him in various places I find myself noticing so much of it is about what a c.nt he is and so little is about what actual crimes might have been committed. I keep momentarily pondering replying along the lines of "Yes, that's vile behaviour but it's not actually breaking any laws". A moment later I collect my wits and don't.
I wasn't going to watch it, preferred to watch Ireland v Fuji, glad I did but watched it on plus 1. Brand has never been on my radar because a. I never found him funny and b. he was a creepy dirtbag, like Savile - imagine my surprise when he had that phone call with Savile, I was shocked even more. Dispatches were right to name it IN PLAIN SIGHT. When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... es-channel

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ll-support

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:26 am

To add. It's almost as if Brand manipulated the mainstream media to hound Georgina Baillie to make it out she was the bad person. Strange, not strange, that he disappeared when meetoo happened. He knew what was coming.

What a total arse sh.t he is. I'm glad 'karma' has kicked him right royally in the arse!

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am

purplehaze wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am
When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.
I saw someone on twitter point out that Brand and Ross were made to apologise to Sachs, not to Baillie, even though it was her private sexual history that they had broadcast. All the media coverage I remember at the time was about how appalling it was to treat Sachs that way, nothing about how they treated Baillie.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 am

Marina Hyde makes the same point - she describes her own reaction at the time and is ashamed of it, it seems so incongruous now in hindsight.

Even Sachs himself refused to speak to his own granddaughter for eight years, as if Baillie brought this upon him by being so wayward. She described in a Mirror interview how she did go off the rails and ended up in rehab, but that was made worse by Brand doing a stand-up show picking apart the incident and destroying her image even more.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:48 am

I totally understand not giving this creep dirtbag of a man any headspace. It has to be done though, how painful and awful that is.

Solidarity to all the women who came forward to speak - some say 'only four', however it was many more women who chose to not speak and solidarity to you as well.
Last edited by purplehaze on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am

Some morons, such as Alan Sugar, are using the fact that four women came forward rather than just one as reason to think it's all a conspiracy. Obviously if only one came forward, those same morons would be claiming that it's just an isolated case and it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, now that a few have gone public, others will be emboldened to raise their voices too.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am
Some morons, such as Alan Sugar, are using the fact that four women came forward rather than just one as reason to think it's all a conspiracy. Obviously if only one came forward, those same morons would be claiming that it's just an isolated case and it doesn't matter.

Hopefully, now that a few have gone public, others will be emboldened to raise their voices too.
In cases like this, the ones who speak out are often just the tip of the iceberg

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:47 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 am

In cases like this, the ones who speak out are often just the tip of the iceberg
Indeed, as anyone who's not wilfully being a moron like Alan Sugar would understand
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:48 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 am

Indeed, I listened to 'The News Agents' podcast last night. Rosamund Urwin and Louisa Compton who were part of the team investigating Brand said as much. The investigators said they interviewed several more women with similar tales but they concentrated of these particular 4 cases as they were watertight. Which is as it should be. They are very confident that they will be not challenged legally by Brand.
A huge amount of work went into this investigation.
Time for a big fat one.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:10 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:39 am
purplehaze wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:10 am
When Sachsgate happened it just confirmed to me how revolting he was, Georgina Baillie suffered the most as a consequence.
I saw someone on twitter point out that Brand and Ross were made to apologise to Sachs, not to Baillie, even though it was her private sexual history that they had broadcast. All the media coverage I remember at the time was about how appalling it was to treat Sachs that way, nothing about how they treated Baillie.
This is a very good point and I’m ashamed that it didn’t occur to me.