Bed bugs

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tessa K
Light of Blast

Bed bugs

Post by Tessa K » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:25 am

According to the news we're facing an invasion of French bed bugs (worse because they're French, of course).

Is this a real concern? Is this climate change related? There are 'fears' that they're on the London transport network.

headshot
Dorkwood

Re: Bed bugs

Post by headshot » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:34 am

There were similar concerns about super duper insecticide-resistant bed bugs in New York a few years ago. When I stayed in a hotel there the cleaners came in each day with sticky rollers to use on the bed frame and mattress.

Not sure what happened, but the news articles died down.

Eg: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... d-new-york

As a result of that experience, I usually try to hang my clothes and keep my empty suitcase on a hard surface or hang it on a coat hook.

My old house had a case of bed bugs in about 2008, so the local council came around and sprayed insecticide on the mattress, bed frame and carpet - which did the job.

You can also avoid bed bugs coming into your house after travel by leaving your suitcase open in the garden for a few days when you return, and washing all of your clothes.

Your suitcase could also get infested in airplane holds, as they transfer from case to case.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:40 am

The French agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety states that there has been an increase in bed bugs in France. They explain this by an upturn in travel by humans and greater resistance to insecticides among the bedbugs. Climate change doesn’t seem to be mentioned. Presumably to combat resistance the agency recommends non-chemical means of eradication. Dry heat for rooms and freezing for objects.

There are concerns that the high cost of eradication may prevent poorer households from eradicating infestations. The agency recommends financial support.

https://www.anses.fr/fr/content/punaise ... e-francais

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:08 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:34 am
There were similar concerns about super duper insecticide-resistant bed bugs in New York a few years ago. When I stayed in a hotel there the cleaners came in each day with sticky rollers to use on the bed frame and mattress.
Sticky rollers? I guess alternatively someone could cover themselves in honey before bed and wipe them out taking the giant human sticky roller approach! :D

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:11 am

Guardian thing about the Parisian bedbugs suggests it may be a surge in awareness rather than actual numbers, but includes some handy hints. Airport baggage handling claimed to be a nexus of bedbug spread.

TW: images of bedbugs
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:39 am

I saw some advice (possibly on the BBC news site) that lavender puts them off.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:20 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:08 am
headshot wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:34 am
Sticky rollers? I guess alternatively someone could cover themselves in honey before bed and wipe them out taking the giant human sticky roller approach! :D
Apparently it grabs the bugs and the eggs.

If anyone wonders whether they have bed bugs - you'll probably notice a distinct almond smell in the room...plus the big red itchy bites of course.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:07 pm

Passed this shop in Paris earlier. Only learnt a few days ago that the French for bedbug is 'une punaise'. (I know the terms for all the other wee beasties having had the pleasure of being introduced to most.)
Compress_20231010_160346_6214.jpg
Compress_20231010_160346_6214.jpg (349.24 KiB) Viewed 632 times

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:11 pm

ignore, butt text

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:37 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:07 pm
Passed this shop in Paris earlier. Only learnt a few days ago that the French for bedbug is 'une punaise'. (I know the terms for all the other wee beasties having had the pleasure of being introduced to most.)

Compress_20231010_160346_6214.jpg
Punaise also means drawing pin. They can be pesky little blighters.