UK v US graduate pay

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
Brightonian
Dorkwood
Posts: 1465
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

UK v US graduate pay

Post by Brightonian » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:29 pm

Interesting Burn-Murdoch thread on Twix: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 2933816529

User avatar
Gfamily
Light of Blast
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by Gfamily » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:39 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:29 pm
Interesting Burn-Murdoch thread on Twix: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 2933816529
Is/are they suggesting that 60% of the workforce in London are graduates? I'd be surprised that that's the case.
Image
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Gfamily
Light of Blast
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by Gfamily » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:53 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:29 pm
Interesting Burn-Murdoch thread on Twix: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 2933816529
Are they suggesting that 60% of the workforce in London are graduates? Is that currently the case?

Though it may be that because of the expense of living in London, only well paid graduates can manage to exist there.

It would be interesting to see the relative poverty of the 40% of non graduates in London.
ETA If the 40% non graduates are managing on an average income that's only 70% of graduates, that's going to have a pretty harsh run-in.
Image
Last edited by Gfamily on Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Woodchopper
Princess POW
Posts: 7196
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:55 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:53 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:29 pm
Interesting Burn-Murdoch thread on Twix: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 2933816529
Are they suggesting that 60% of the workforce in London are graduates? Is that currently the case?

Though it may be that because of the expense of living in London, only well paid graduates can manage to exist there.

It would be interesting to see the relative poverty of the 40% of non graduates in London.
Image
Seems to be correct: https://www.bbc.com/news/education-25002401

User avatar
Gfamily
Light of Blast
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by Gfamily » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:04 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:55 pm
Seems to be correct: https://www.bbc.com/news/education-25002401
If graduates are doing non-graduate jobs in London and still getting a salary boost, pity the poor non graduates doing the same jobs without the boost.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
nekomatic
Dorkwood
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by nekomatic » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:30 pm

A thing on this topic, including some quotes from someone who may be familiar to members of the forum
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

User avatar
Grumble
Light of Blast
Posts: 4880
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by Grumble » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:30 pm

nekomatic wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:30 pm
A thing on this topic, including some quotes from someone who may be familiar to members of the forum
Wow, the one comment…
BTL I mean, not the quotes from the familiar name
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1522
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: UK v US graduate pay

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:53 pm

Yeah. Someone has issues...

Post Reply