Continuing c*^tery from the Home Office

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Continuing c*^tery from the Home Office

Post by Fishnut » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:41 pm

The Home Office have refused a visa for the 6 year old daughter of Dr Doseline Kiguru, a Kenyan expert in world literature who has recently been permanently employed by Bristol University.
The Home Office’s rejection said it saw “no compassionate grounds” on which to allow the child to join her mother. The letter, addressed to the six-year-old girl, added: “It was your mother’s personal decision to depart for the UK.”
To add insult to injury, the Home Office didn't even tell her they had made this decision until the university chased them.
Kiguru returned to Kenya to apply for her daughter’s visa in July. Expecting no problems, she had enrolled her at a primary school in Bristol from September and bought her uniform.

The visa process should take 15 working days, but it was not until Bristol University intervened at the start of November that she discovered her daughter’s application had been rejected earlier in October. She now has only one week left to appeal.
This is a disturbingly common response from the Home Office,
Academics say that banning the children of researchers is not uncommon, but parents are typically too scared to go public...

A recent report by the Royal Society found academic visas were often rejected for “arbitrary and subjective” reasons. It said African nationals applying for a visitor’s visa – which scientists need to attend research conferences in the UK – were three to four times more likely to be rejected than applicants in east Asia.

The report described a research conference that was focused on gathering insights from the global south, but ended up with no attenders from that part of the world.

The society has denounced “disproportionate” increases to visa fees, planned from next year, as a “punitive tax on talent”, with top researchers coming to the UK facing costs up to 10 times higher than other leading science nations.
Those visa application fees are increasing by around 15-20% on average.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

JQH
After Pie

Re: Continuing c*^tery from the Home Office

Post by JQH » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 pm

Nothing new there, unfortunately. It was a nightmare getting MrsH's daughter into the country. Had to get lawyered up in the end.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:58 pm

JQH wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 pm
Nothing new there, unfortunately. It was a nightmare getting MrsH's daughter into the country. Had to get lawyered up in the end.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you got things sorted.

I did search the archives and was surprised that nothing seemed to come up as I was sure we'd discussed visa rejections in the past. Maybe it was in the Old Place and I've just lost track of time.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:10 pm

Yes, we did in the end.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:14 pm

The Hostile Environment has definitely come to an end, then...