How is Sunak so bad at this?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tristan
Stargoon

How is Sunak so bad at this?

Post by Tristan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:24 pm

For those who haven’t seen, Piers Morgan bet Sunak £1000 that he wouldn’t get flights under the Rwanda policy going. Sunak accepted the bet. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68209330

How is Sunak so bad at this kind of this? The policy itself is cruel and pointless. But even a politician who supports the policy should know better than to accept the bet. It would be perfectly easy to say:

“Piers, this is a serious matter and frankly I think placing bets on it like this should be beneath us. Having said that, I promise we will… etc etc.”

It’s really not rocket science. He’s just terrible at it. Bring on the election campaign!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: How is Sunak so bad at this?

Post by Gfamily » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:33 pm

Tristan wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:24 pm
For those who haven’t seen, Piers Morgan bet Sunak £1000 that he wouldn’t get flights under the Rwanda policy going. Sunak accepted the bet. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68209330

How is Sunak so bad at this kind of this? The policy itself is cruel and pointless. But even a politician who supports the policy should know better than to accept the bet. It would be perfectly easy to say:

“Piers, this is a serious matter and frankly I think placing bets on it like this should be beneath us. Having said that, I promise we will… etc etc.”

It’s really not rocket science. He’s just terrible at it. Bring on the election campaign!
It's his 'one of the lads, doing the normal things that normal people do' schtick - except he gets it wrong every time.
Need to see whether he declares a financial interest in the policy as well.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:04 pm

Tristan wrote:
How is Sunak so bad at this kind of this?
He's not very good at politics. He only got the job because he was less bad than Truss, and that bat is very low.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:04 pm
Tristan wrote:
How is Sunak so bad at this kind of this?
He's not very good at politics. He only got the job because he was less bad than Truss, and that bat is very low.
Not true.

Truss was better at politics than him. She completely outplayed him. The trouble is that she was objectively so bad at being a PM that Sunak ended up as the default option
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:16 am

Oh wait it’s OK. Just turns out the PM isn’t very good under pressure and can’t think in his feet. No problems here then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68214641

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:06 pm

Especially as it turns out, he talked about spread betting in the past:
The Guardian wrote:Which is making it slightly awkward that lots of people have pointed out that in July last year he spoke on the BBC’s Test Match Special View from the Boundary podcast with Johnathan Agnew and explained how much he had enjoyed spread betting on cricket.

In the clip doing the rounds on social media he told Agnew:

It was around that time that spread betting had become a thing online. I had certainly never done it before. I was sitting there working on one side doing my investing finance job, and on the other screen – it is quite helpful in those jobs you have multiple screens – I was doing next wicket partnership, next wicket fall, innings total. I just discovered this thing and it was great, so I had the summer doing that as well.

It is worth noting, perhaps, that in the interview he was talking specifically about a period of time when he was living in the US, and came back to the UK for the summer doing an internship, during the 2005 Ashes series, and preceded the anecdote by saying discovering spread betting “was quite dangerous”. The segment starts at 9’20” here.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 pm

"I was outwitted by Piers Morgan" isn't a particularly good look for the leader of one of the major powers in geopolitics.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:49 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:46 pm
"I was outwitted by Piers Morgan" isn't a particularly good look for the leader of one of the major powers in geopolitics.
"I was outwitted by Piers Morgan" isn't a particularly good look for peripatetic purveyor of whelks.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:47 pm

Gaffe of the day is Sunak deciding to make a transphobic jibe against Starmer during PMQs whilst Brianna Ghey's mother was visiting Parliament
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:03 pm

oh ffs!

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:47 pm
Gaffe of the day is Sunak deciding to make a transphobic jibe against Starmer during PMQs whilst Brianna Ghey's mother was visiting Parliament
During the leadership contest which Truss won, there was a bit of a conflab between Truss, Badenoch and Mordaunt where Mordaunt got slammed for daring to show a little compassion towards the trans. So perhaps Sunak did that deliberately as clunky attempt to show the right he was "righteous" on trans issues.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:40 pm

Tristan wrote:

What was the schtick for Moron to do that? Was it from a Bravermanic right wing perspective, the way the right wing are criticising Sunak for not doing Rwanda properly enough, so it won't work, and resigning over it? Or was it from a liberal perspective, in effect saying, I hate this, it's flawed, and nothing will enable you to do it?

Despite my incredible aversion to ever watching Moron for even a second, I have watched the ca 1min clip where Moron makes the challenge, and I can't work out where he's coming from. He goes on to talk about it being irrelevant in the overall scheme of what's driving net migration into Britain, which is largely legal migration. So maybe it is neither of the above, it's a different point, stop wasting your time on this irrelevant nonsense.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:45 pm

IvanV wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
During the leadership contest which Truss won, there was a bit of a conflab between Truss, Badenoch and Mordaunt where Mordaunt got slammed for daring to show a little compassion towards the trans. So perhaps Sunak did that deliberately as clunky attempt to show the right he was "righteous" on trans issues.
Could go either way depending on what he's trying to imply about Starmer's (in his eyes) u-turn. As in, which of Starmer's positions was he agreeing with? It's not clear.

But actually, I think even this is crediting him with too much intelligence. He had a joke that was probably written for him and is just so bad at thinking on his feet that he didn't for a second consider changing his plan given the earlier tribute to Esther Ghey.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:22 pm

IvanV wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
And Sunak's made similar jokes before, to little outrage. It shouldn't matter who's in the room at the time, but seemingly it does.

Although he did have a point about Starmers U turns, Labour are currently spinning round in circles on climate policy because they're doing it so much. But I guess Starmer is getting away with that one, because there seems to be very little talk of that.

A cynical person might think that the press have finally decided that the Conservatives time is up.