Rochdale voters choose antisemitism

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Rochdale voters choose antisemitism

Post by Gfamily » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:28 pm

Showing the 'indefatigability' of his commitment to the people of Rochdale, Galloway expresses his intention to stand in Ashton-under-Lyne at the next election.
And insists that "...the people picked Hamas"
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:47 pm

Utterly unsurprising from Dianne Abbott here. Ffs. https://x.com/hackneyabbott/status/1764 ... iksLglQFYQ

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm

Tristan wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:47 pm
Utterly unsurprising from Dianne Abbott here. Ffs. https://x.com/hackneyabbott/status/1764 ... iksLglQFYQ
I mean, let's leave aside the Gaza stuff for a second - she's just claimed he's won a parliamentary majority...
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:57 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm
Tristan wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:47 pm
I mean, let's leave aside the Gaza stuff for a second - she's just claimed he's won a parliamentary majority...
All hail our glorious new leader
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am

Bit late to this party, I was going to post this before among some other things but didn't get round to it - but it has been bugging me a bit. It was open to the electorate to abstain. It doesn't look like turnout was particularly low compared with other recent by-elections. So, even if the other 'left' choice was effectively removed, they still had a different kind of choice.

What does concern me is that it does seem to suggest that there seems to be a perception that there is a bit of a vacuum in terms of support for Palestine from the left, which is ideal ground for antisemitic and unscrupulous people to step in.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:08 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am
What does concern me is that it does seem to suggest that there seems to be a perception that there is a bit of a vacuum in terms of support for Palestine from the left, which is ideal ground for antisemitic and unscrupulous people to step in.
Judging by my Face Book stream, there is plenty of support for Palestine from the Left.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:16 am

JQH wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:08 pm
discovolante wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am
Judging by my Face Book stream, there is plenty of support for Palestine from the Left.
Sorry, I meant in terms of political parties.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:08 am

In a great move for the people of Rochdale, Galloway floats the idea of running against Andy Burnham in this year’s May elections:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 822622.amp

They must be so impressed with everything he’s going to be doing to deal with the local issues in Rochdale whilst campaigning for the next two months in an election he has no chance of winning. He’s already achieved so much in the last *checks notes* 16 days.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:42 am

headshot wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:08 am
In a great move for the people of Rochdale, Galloway floats the idea of running against Andy Burnham in this year’s May elections:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... 822622.amp

They must be so impressed with everything he’s going to be doing to deal with the local issues in Rochdale whilst campaigning for the next two months in an election he has no chance of winning. He’s already achieved so much in the last *checks notes* 16 days.
Classic Galloway.

From his wiki:
In October 2013, the Total Politics magazine published an interview with Galloway in which he admitted: "I like elections more than I like serving", and said that he found being an MP was "2% terrifying, and 98% tedium."
He was my MP at the time of that interview. tbf, I hadn't expected a great deal of him - almost the first thing he did on being elected in Bradford was to tell everyone how happy he was to have been chosen to serve the voters of Blackburn. I think the next thing of note he did was to make some appalling comments about consent when he was defending Assange to the press.

Here's how he left us:
During his unsuccessful 2015 general election campaign to be re-elected for Bradford West, Galloway announced that he would stand in the election for London mayor in 2016 if he lost...
I don't think Bethnal Green (2005-2010) got much out of him either. He seems to have spent more time getting suspended from parliament or licking imaginary milk than working for his constituents there.