monkey
After Pie

Re: Wanting to hate all black women isn't racist or sexist, say Tories

Post by monkey » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:07 pm

raven wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 pm
philbo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:19 pm
The one (fairly minor) consolation with the whole affair is that it has highlighted a $10m donation to the Conservatives by someone who has personally made many tens of millions from NHS contracts worth a few hundred mill - the conflicts of interest (at best.. complete and utter corruption at worst) at almost any other point in history would be a massive scandal that might have caused resignations; but now it's just another data point for the most corrupt government of our time.
Thus funneling money from taxpayers via the NHS straight into Tory party coffers. Which I object to vehemently.

If I was feeling cynical (hard not to with the shower in office atm), I might wonder if someone thought airing Hester's racist jokes was a good way to distract from that. Don't remember Laura Kuenssberg really focusing on the corruption angle when she was interviewing Mark Harper about it on Sunday.

Still, I think the whole affair has been another nail in the coffin.
My inner cynic says the press is happy to concentrate on the racism part because everyone thinks that's bad*, but corruption is just rich people doing rich people things, and that shouldn't be looked at too closely**.

Inner cynic would also bet folding money we found out about it now because someone wanted to deprive the Tories of several million pounds just before an election. And the story is sticking because everyone else agrees their time is up.

*Not including Islamophobia, I don't remember this story getting much traction - clicky

**Right now. Sometimes it's a bad thing, I remember donorgate back in the day.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:07 pm

My inner cynic says the press is happy to concentrate on the racism part because everyone thinks that's bad*, but corruption is just rich people doing rich people things, and that shouldn't be looked at too closely**.

That very much depends on who their owners have been donating to.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:43 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 pm
monkey wrote:

They will follow their interests, which may include donations. But sometimes the biggest interest might be "We can't keep defending these a..eholes without our sales going down, even our public aren't that stupid. It's time for someone new"

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:43 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 pm
monkey wrote:

They will follow their interests, which may include donations. But sometimes the biggest interest might be "We can't keep defending these a..eholes without our sales going down, even our public aren't that stupid. It's time for someone new"
And since newspapers aren't run for profits, but for political influence, it's very much a case of giving up a battle in order to fight another day.