Cass Report into Gender Identify Services - myths debunked

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Tristan
Stargoon

Cass Report into Gender Identify Services - myths debunked

Post by Tristan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 am

The Cass report came out last week, a thorough and detailed review of gender identify services for children and young people. It includes reviews of the evidence on the treatments that were/are being offered and makes a number of decent recommendations. It's been welcomed by many, but as expected there are critics. Some of these critics are attacking the report on utterly nonsensical grounds, essentially making stuff up about it. These myths about it are getting traction.

Andy Lewis (formerly of this parish) wrote a decent blogpost debunking the 4 most prominent myths about it. It's worth a read: https://www.quackometer.net/blog/2024/0 ... -know.html

quitethrilling
Navel Tan

Re: Cass Report into Gender Identify Services - myths debunked

Post by quitethrilling » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:45 pm

Andy tweeted a link to this open letter:

https://feministgenderequality.network/ ... ss-review/

which at the time he shared it had a list of signatories including none other than Dr Andrew Wakefield. That version has disappeared from the original link but can still be viewed here:

https://archive.fo/2024.04.14-173725/ht ... t.html?m=1

Finally the current version of that page - http://uncommon-scents.blogspot.com/202 ... about.html - seems to be an updated one where the AW’s name is missing. Curious!

Anyway, hoping that the Cass review is the starting point for a discussion that’s more focused on evidence than it has been to date.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:43 am

I'd noticed the Andrew Wakefield thing, although I think it's possible for anyone to sign without verification, so there's always a possibility someone else added him. That's why I didn't mention it above, though I wouldn't be surprised if he had.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 pm

And here we have David Gorski who runs the Science Based Medicine blog promoting twitter rumour and accusing someone by name of doing something she simply didn't do.

The behaviour of a lot of so called "skeptics" on this topic is really poor.
GLNHVfjWcAAe8XB.png
GLNHVfjWcAAe8XB.png (55.86 KiB) Viewed 663 times

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

TBH, I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction.

Most normal trans activists welcomed the report and were pleased it brought evidence into the discussion.

There is always going the lunatic fringe who reject scientific approaches and scream their slogans, but I don't think it's worth highlighting their rants.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

The report is coming in for criticism on Twitter because some of the images using to illustrate it are AI generated. Not sure how relevant that is (and I can understand why one wouldn't want to use real people's faces).
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm
The report is coming in for criticism on Twitter because some of the images using to illustrate it are AI generated. Not sure how relevant that is (and I can understand why one wouldn't want to use real people's faces).
I fail to see what relevance it could possibly have.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm
TBH, I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction.

Most normal trans activists welcomed the report and were pleased it brought evidence into the discussion.

There is always going the lunatic fringe who reject scientific approaches and scream their slogans, but I don't think it's worth highlighting their rants.
I think it certainly could have been worse. For example, Stonewall’s response was better than I’d have expected.

But as we can see with the likes of Gorski, misrepresentation of it can easily gain traction.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Tristan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm
snoozeofreason wrote:
Me neither. It was a silly thing to do though, given the way that debate on this subject tends to play out, and the willingness of all sides to reach for any available stick to beat the other side with. Of course using real people's faces would have been even sillier, but they could have just not used anyone's face at all. I imagine that the decision to use the images was made by some graphic designer rather than any one involved in the research itself.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 pm

So, do you think that there are valid criticisms of the Cass report; and what would you say they are?
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Tristan wrote:
snoozeofreason wrote:
A serious report would not be illustrated with irrelevant imagery. If you don't have a relevant real image, then there shouldn't be an image there at all.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm
Tristan wrote:
snoozeofreason wrote:
A serious report would not be illustrated with irrelevant imagery. If you don't have a relevant real image, then there shouldn't be an image there at all.
A serious criticism would not raise irrelevant points about imagery. If you don't have relevant real criticism, then there shouldn't be a post there at all.

But perhaps you intended to write "This is great, finally an evidence-based report that calls for individualised care and treatment for all young people seeking support from NHS gender services, let's all pressure MPs to read it."
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

I have a horrible suspicion that the imagery is an academic equivalent of dad dancing. In other words that somewhere along the line someone decided that it would make the report more engaging to the age group most affected by it.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm
Tristan wrote:
snoozeofreason wrote:
This is just nonsensical. Stock images are a thing and are used regularly in all sorts of "serious" documents. We're going to be seeing AI generated ones replacing photographed ones more and more. By all means start a discussion on whether this is a good thing or not for the design and photography industries, but it's utterly irrelevant to this thread.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:54 am

I haven't read the report but I've skimmed through looking at the pictures (but not AlL tEh pIXeLs) and they are exactly what I would expect in a report of this sort -- a selection of images of people between chapters. Apart from the usual glossy relief from the wall-of-text, pictures are useful to remind ourselves that the report is about real people and not abstract concepts. The only thing that struck me was that all the pictures of people from behind got a bit creepy after a while, and it would have been nice to actually see some more faces (tying in to my previous sentence)-- but we all know why that is difficult.

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:37 pm

How to win hearts and minds
IMG_9533.jpeg
IMG_9533.jpeg (120.32 KiB) Viewed 309 times

Tristan
Stargoon

Post by Tristan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 am

This is so disingenuous of Stonewall. The information about the methodology used was in the report all along. Why are they pretending it’s new information?

https://x.com/stonewalluk/status/178246 ... iksLglQFYQ