Whakaari/White Island volcanic explosion

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Whakaari/White Island volcanic explosion

Post by Fishnut » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 pm

Health and safety investigations into the eruption are being completed and fines are starting to be announced. One company that's been fined is Volcanic Air, who went in to rescue survivors when no-one else would. It's not gone down well with the public.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:49 pm

The implication in that article is that the helicopter company was fined for behaviours before the eruption, not for the rescue flights.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 pm

bjn wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:49 pm
The implication in that article is that the helicopter company was fined for behaviours before the eruption, not for the rescue flights.
That's the impression I got too, though it was hidden in a lot of "they're great guys" narrative, and I wasn't sure of my interpretation so resisted editorialising. I don't think it would be fair to draw conclusions without seeing the report (if it's made public) but I thought it worth sharing the article as part of this ongoing story if nothing else.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat May 01, 2021 3:43 pm

One of the survivors has been sharing photos of her recovery. Stephanie Browitt was on the island with her dad and sister, celebrating her sister's birthday, while her mum stayed on the cruise ship. Neither her dad or sister survived. The injuries she sustained are extensive (burns to 70% of her body), it's quite amazing that she's still alive and it looks like there's still a long way to go before she's fully recovered physically.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:54 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk