Election night party

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Election night party

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 am

Europe will be pleased. They've got an exciting environmental package to get on with without worrying about brexit.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 am

Count Binface got 69 votes in Johnson's constituency.

You've gotta laugh.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:42 am

Johnson's victory speech talked more about the NHS than brexit.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 am

The "reflection" has to be brief. He's yesterday's man now. And once out, he should stay out. Hanging around as the left's conscience isn't going to help the successor. And after a thumping like this, the public need to see change at the top.

Although the "reflection" will probably mean gaining time to lock Momentum further into control of the party machinery.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:44 am

Boris booed off stage while a bloke in an Elmo suit took a selfie.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:45 am

SNP take Swinson's seat, lmao.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:53 am

That amounts to bullet dodging for the LDs. They get to erase their mistake.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:03 am

Only just, mind. I mean as the leader of a major party she should have had a big majority. But the commentary, for what it's worth (which may not be much) was that she failed as a constituency MP. My constituency MP minus 2 managed, imo, a pretty good balance of constituency and national issues. He wasn't a party leader, so it's perhaps a bit of an unfair comparison, but if she had neglected her constituency for the sake of power then tbh I think that is a fair criticism.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 am

Piers Corbyn blames the media, allowing the conservatives to "steal working class votes with the Pied Piper of fake Brexit".

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:23 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:44 am
Boris booed off stage while a bloke in an Elmo suit took a selfie.
No they were shouting Boooo-ris.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am

God, Michael Gove is a slimy little sh.t.

He almost, almost redeemed himself as justice secretary after Chris Grayling but he undid it all again pretty quickly.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am

.Didn't stay up long once I saw how things were going. And defo didn't hit the bottle - I'd never have stopped. Just surfaced

So, people pissed on from Westminster in the post-industrial regions voted for the pissers. Seems like it's time to re-start the "I don't care anymore" thread from the other place.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 am

Ian Lavery can, quite genuinely, go and shove a cactus up his pustulent wrinkly a..eh.le.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 am
Ian Lavery can, quite genuinely, go and shove a cactus up his pustulent wrinkly a..eh.le.
Yes, and the c.nt scraped through on a recount. One more loss wouldn't have made a difference.

This is the cultist script. Labour were too remainy. The leadership should have ignored their members even more.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:35 am

GeenDienst wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 am
Yes, and the c.nt scraped through on a recount. One more loss wouldn't have made a difference.

This is the cultist script. Labour were too remainy. The leadership should have ignored their members even more.
Yes, I'm seeing rather a lot of that this morning.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 pm

*Checks vodka bottle...Checks eau de vie bottle...The Bread Goddess is checking her spiced gin bottle...We are both checking the results...We have vodka and gin left and further supplies in the cupboard over ------->there...We know how to use them....*

Anyone know some good estate agents in Dumfries and Galloway?
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:21 pm

f.ck me, my head hurt a bit this morning, for several reasons.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:23 am

Then again, Corbyn can't but have noticed his dire personal ratings. Wonder if it ever occurred to him someone else might have been better placed...
Corbyn definitely has problems, but what worries me is that for every Corbyn problem there's a Johnson problem yet look what just happened, Ed Miliband didn't have these problems yet look what happened. Corbyn was a gift to the Tories this election but I worry that the leader wouldn't have mattered, whoever was in place would have been demonised and when people can be persuaded that talking to Gerry Adams thirty years ago is more pertinent than holding back a report into Russian electoral interference now and that tge best way to show your hatred of ten years of Tory Austerity is to vote Tory, or historically what your father didn't actually say and how you eat a bacon sandwich are vital issues, what is the way forward?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:00 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Corbyn definitely has problems, but what worries me is that for every Corbyn problem there's a Johnson problem yet look what just happened, Ed Miliband didn't have these problems yet look what happened. Corbyn was a gift to the Tories this election but I worry that the leader wouldn't have mattered, whoever was in place would have been demonised and when people can be persuaded that talking to Gerry Adams thirty years ago is more pertinent than holding back a report into Russian electoral interference now and that tge best way to show your hatred of ten years of Tory Austerity is to vote Tory, or historically what your father didn't actually say and how you eat a bacon sandwich are vital issues, what is the way forward?
This.
Needs fixing.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Are you all still partying in here?

sideshowjim
Clardic Fug

Post by sideshowjim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
GeenDienst wrote:

Then again, Corbyn can't but have noticed his dire personal ratings. Wonder if it ever occurred to him someone else might have been better placed...
When much of the election is being fought on personality, it's a bad start when you can't put pictures or the name of your leader on any of your promo material because he's that unpopular...

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 pm

sideshowjim wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 pm
P.J. Denyer wrote:
GeenDienst wrote:

When much of the election is being fought on personality, it's a bad start when you can't put pictures or the name of your leader on any of your promo material because he's that unpopular...
It wasn't really on personality either. Johnson is a bumbling oaf who strops out when he's thwarted and hides from journalists who might challenge him. It was was fought on media created charicatures.

ETA: And even if it was fought on personalities, that is a bug not a feature.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:57 pm

I showed a poll not long after Johnson took over. Dumping Corbyn turned a substantial poll deficit into a substantial poll lead.

Corbyn was more toxic to voters than any other Labour leader has been. That's what's coming back from MPs (and ex-MPs) as well.

sideshowjim
Clardic Fug

Post by sideshowjim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Eh, we don't think it should be based on personality (real or fabricated). But in such a shouty, contradictory campaign where there's an awful lot of contradictory information and outright fibs, those who haven't already made their minds up will base much of their decision on facets that they can judge, that are visible and that are available.

How many people read a manifesto? Who aren't looking for talking points with which to repudiate people who disagree with their already-made decision, I mean?

Nope, Personality and events come through the noise in this. And stupid b.llsh.t stunts and bouncy quick repeated phrases work better than an entirely absent* from news and publicity material leader and some stance on the biggest issue present at the day that I've heard about 15 times from angry a..eholes on twitter** and yet still
A- Could not explain what it is,
B- Does definitely include some of the same magic unicorn b.llsh.t that had so many on the remain side smacking their heads against things,
and C- Promises to draw out this whole ridiculous project even longer with no actual goal, decision or purpose, much to the delight of all those people who (whatever side they were on originally) now just want that stupid portmanteau to Go Away so We Don't Have To Hear About It Any More.

*I mean, absent except from managed events where diminishing numbers of people all stand around and tell him he's marvelous

** A seperate issue, but bugger me I cannot see how it helped

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:25 am

P.J. Denyer wrote:
GeenDienst wrote:

While to an extent this is true, we won't get anywhere if people keep pretending that Corbyn's problems were the press got excited because he talked to Gerry Adams thirty years ago.

He picked a stalinist who praised the Taliban and IS as his communications director. He did propaganda work for the fascist Iranian regime. He tried to deny genocide in the Balkans so he had an excuse to oppose Britain's life-saving intervention in Kosovo.

Labour candidates were being selected after posting holocaust denial articles off American Neo-Nazi websites.