General Election 2019

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

General Election 2019

Post by Grumble » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Let’s start this forum with a nice weighty topic eh? Plenty to discuss, not least Farage deciding not to contest with the Tories. Have the Remain Alliance provoked a degree of introspection not normally associated with Farage?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Fishnut
After Pie

Re: General Election 2019

Post by Fishnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I doubt it's introspection as much as recognising it'll be expensive to fund that many campaigns and he'd rather keep the money for himself. Apparently prospective candidates had to pay a £100 non-refundable application fee and thousands applied.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Am posting this on Facebook - you never know...
BP supporters.PNG
BP supporters.PNG (36.4 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
ETA to replace jaggy jpeg with PNG
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Ben B
Stargoon

Post by Ben B » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:42 pm

David Schneider wrote:As Nigel Farage takes £100 from would-be candidates before unilaterally deciding they won’t stand, Brexit Party members get to know what it really feels like to send significant sums of money to undemocratic, unelected leaders.
The first ten million years were the worst.
And the second ten million, they were the worst too.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm
I doubt it's introspection as much as recognising it'll be expensive to fund that many campaigns and he'd rather keep the money for himself. Apparently prospective candidates had to pay a £100 non-refundable application fee and thousands applied.
I thought it was £200? But I could be wrong, certainly they required it with the application while other parties only ask for it when you've passed the interview stage and are accepted in principal as a candidate.

So I guess this means that the deal that Farage said wasn't Brexit last week is Brexit now?

(Bye the way, "Hello Everyone"!)

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:22 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm
Fishnut wrote:
I thought it was £200? But I could be wrong, certainly they required it with the application while other parties only ask for it when you've passed the interview stage and are accepted in principal as a candidate.

So I guess this means that the deal that Farage said wasn't Brexit last week is Brexit now?

<Waves>

It would be so easy to be rich if one had the moral integrity of Fromage
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

Multiple sources say £100. James O'Brien asked a former Brexit Party candidate if he'd ask for his £100 back and someone who applied to be a candidate wrote up their story and said it was £100. That person said that while the Conservatives charge £250 that's only after they've gone through a process to ensure you're not wasting everyone's time with your application.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:59 pm
P.J. Denyer wrote:
Fishnut wrote:

Multiple sources say £100. James O'Brien asked a former Brexit Party candidate if he'd ask for his £100 back and someone who applied to be a candidate wrote up their story and said it was £100. That person said that while the Conservatives charge £250 that's only after they've gone through a process to ensure you're not wasting everyone's time with your application.

You're right it was £100, I think I got it mixed up with the other parties, who as was pointed out at the time charge it once you're accepted in principal to cover background checks (presumably UKIP charge about 40p).

Still, by getting the first point in my first post wrong I've started as I mean to continue... (And of course it's "By the way"... I blame the awful soft keyboard on the Fire 10 HD).

nefibach
Sindis Poop

Post by nefibach » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

And Farage isn't giving the money back:

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status ... 4631482368
Nigel Farage has told @eddiemair that he won't be giving the money back that he took off potential candidates. Here's my piece from earlier this year that exposed the process
https://bylinetimes.com/2019/07/19/weve ... -the-cold/

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

nefibach wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm
Well there's an enormous surprise..... :roll:

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm
nefibach wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm
Well there's an enormous surprise..... :roll:
I mean, there must be a mistake in the reporting of this, surely.

nefibach
Sindis Poop

Post by nefibach » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 pm

'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

https://twitter.com/cavalorn/status/654 ... 36?lang=en

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 am

Fishnut wrote:
Tiny violins at the ready:
https://twitter.com/Wayne_BayIey/status ... 58690?s=19
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:40 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 am
Fishnut wrote:
Tiny violins at the ready:
https://twitter.com/Wayne_BayIey/status ... 58690?s=19
Oh dear
How sad
Never mind
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 am

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am

Given the rebrand to Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats I thought I'd look up her voting record.

As far as I can tell she's a Yellow Tory, there seems to be very little 'Social Democrat' values left in the LD's.

Makes my vote easier to call - I'll be voting Labour.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

She was a minister when she voted in much of that. Best to look at the manifesto.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Ben B
Stargoon

Post by Ben B » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah, not sure it's completely fair to judge the voting record from the coalition - dreadful though that episode was.
The first ten million years were the worst.
And the second ten million, they were the worst too.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 am

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am
Given the rebrand to Jo Swinson's Liberal Democrats I thought I'd look up her voting record.

As far as I can tell she's a Yellow Tory, there seems to be very little 'Social Democrat' values left in the LD's.

Makes my vote easier to call - I'll be voting Labour.
Fortunately, our constituency is a Lab held marginal (narrowly won in 2017), so despite Labour's crap leader and his entourage, and despite the LD candidate being very able, it's going to have to be a Lab vote.
I just have to trust that if they win they hold to their 'confirmatory vote' policy.

I know at least some pro remain LD supporters are looking to support their candidate in a neighbouring constituency.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 pm

I say this as a LibDem member but I really wish the LibDems would stop attacking Labour. We need to be looking to build coalitions with the left, not alienate them. The fact that Sam Gyimah was happy to attack Labour councillors in a Conservative-dominated local authority but refused to attack the Conservative councillors for their role in the Grenfell fire speaks volumes. I've been very nervous about the influx of former Conservative MPs to the party and this only heightens my concerns.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 pm
I say this as a LibDem member but I really wish the LibDems would stop attacking Labour. We need to be looking to build coalitions with the left, not alienate them. The fact that Sam Gyimah was happy to attack Labour councillors in a Conservative-dominated local authority but refused to attack the Conservative councillors for their role in the Grenfell fire speaks volumes. I've been very nervous about the influx of former Conservative MPs to the party and this only heightens my concerns.
A lot of our proEU group are writing to both Corbyn and Swinson calling for them to stop being negative about the other and their party, and pointing out that the only really important issue in this GE is to prevent a Conservative Brexit that will bugger up the country for a generation.
Meta? I'd say so!

jimr1603
Bunflow

Post by jimr1603 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 pm
From the outside it looks like they're saying that they're far happier supporting the Tories than Labour under Corbyn.

Even if they're just being precautious after getting seriously burned last coalition, with the stuff around a 'caretaker' Govt. they were implicitly saying that they would rather see BoJo as PM than Corbyn.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:01 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am
She was a minister when she voted in much of that. Best to look at the manifesto.
But AFAIK she has never given much of a mea culpa blaming collective responsibility, her public statements have always been along the lines of "the things I did in coalition I did because I believed in them".

As I say AFAIK.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Rod Liddle drags the Spectator to an all time low

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/11/if- ... ds-voting/

Drug your children if you think they might disagree with you on the future of the world they will inherit.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Paywalled.

And I'm not paying to read anything by Liddle. I think I can guess what he's saying tbh.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole