Getting Brexit done

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
Snowbonk

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by Little waster » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:57 am

plodder wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:51 am
Last couple of days have had headlines in the Telegraph suggesting No Deal is now the most likely option, with the EU set to take the blame.

Very, very divisive stuff, this.
Look at my face, this is my shocked-and-surprised face honestly, it might look like my "No sh.t, Sherlock" face but it is definitely my shocked-and-surprised face.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

Vertigowooyay
Clardic Fug

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am

plodder wrote:
Last couple of days have had headlines in the Telegraph suggesting No Deal is now the most likely option, with the EU set to take the blame.

But... but... Johnson said the chance of No Deal was a million to one. He was emphatic about that. Does this mean that he... misled us?
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Martin Y
Dorkwood

Post by Martin Y » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:56 am
plodder wrote:

But... but... Johnson said the chance of No Deal was a million to one. He was emphatic about that. Does this mean that he... misled us?
Not at all. No Deal is an impossibility. Vote Leave has reassured us that we'll negotiate the terms of our new deal before we trigger article 50. So you can relax.

shpalman
Dorkwood

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
plodder wrote:

The EU will of course back down at the last moment and give the UK everything they're asking for in order to ensure that... checks notes... Italy can keep selling 20% of its prosecco to British middle-class high-functioning alcoholics.
molto tricky

Little waster
Snowbonk

Post by Little waster » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Johnson said the chances of No Deal was a million to one ...
*channels Jeff Wayne*

... but still they IMPOSE TRADE TARIFFS IN ACCORDANCE TO WTO GUIDELINES IN THE ABSENCE OF AN EXISTING TRADE DEAL!!!

Bomm-bomm-bomm!!!

Dover customs inspection, yesterday

Spoiler:
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

bjn
Snowbonk

Post by bjn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
*channels Jeff Wayne*

... but still they IMPOSE TRADE TARIFFS IN ACCORDANCE TO WTO GUIDELINES IN THE ABSENCE OF AN EXISTING TRADE DEAL!!!

Bomm-bomm-bomm!!!

Spoiler:
It wasn’t just me then.

Gfamily
Dorkwood

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
plodder wrote:

Has anyone noticed anyone standing on one foot with a handkerchief in their mouth?

And a dragon.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

individualmember
Fuzzable

Post by individualmember » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:49 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Little waster wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
*channels Jeff Wayne*

Bomm-bomm-bomm!!!

Spoiler:
It wasn’t just me then.
No, me as well.

individualmember
Fuzzable

Post by individualmember » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm

The EU will of course back down at the last moment and give the UK everything they're asking for in order to ensure that... checks notes... Italy can keep selling 20% of its prosecco to British middle-class high-functioning alcoholics.
WTO tariff on wine is, I think, 32%. But what is that 32% of, given that most of the price of a sub-ten quid bottle of wine (and you can easily find Prosecco under a tenner a bottle in any of the supermarkets around here) is tax?

TBH, I suspect that the falling value of sterling is probably going to make more difference to the retail price of Prosecco than anything else.

JQH
Catbabel

Post by JQH » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:46 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
plodder wrote:

Has anyone noticed anyone standing on one foot with a handkerchief in their mouth?

And a dragon.
Because million to one chances come up nine times out of ten.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

PeteB
Sindis Poop

Post by PeteB » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:25 am

plodder wrote:

Yeah, suspect this is our inept attempts at negotiating by talking up No Deall. Noticed some of the trade commentators were more optimistic. I think the thing to remember is the difference between No Deal and the Deal we are trying to get is pretty indistinguishable for most industries and a million miles away from the current situation (inside the Single Market and Customs Union). I hope people don't think that getting a deal means the continuation of the status quo - it is far from it.