Getting Brexit done

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by shpalman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:49 am

As such I imagine in 2024 every voter in the country will be happy to patiently listen to Labour doorsteppers 5 minute explanation about how ackshully Labour bears no responsibility for the deal they voted for and the problem with the current situation is not because the Remoaners have somehow tricked us into a BINO but that the whole enterprise was doomed from the start. In much the same way the LDs continue to harvest the gratitude of a grateful nation for their enabling role in austerity.

If a voter answers the door to their Labour candidate in 2024 and says no thanks this mess is all your fault I'm going to vote for the Conservatives again, then I don't really know what to tell you.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:49 pm

“Boris Blew It” good enough for you?

What’s interesting is the whole raft of other legislation that’s joined on to it and is subject to zero scrutiny given the crazy deadline.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Lol, only 73 votes against.

That must mean zero Conservative nutters voted against it. And it was supposed to be oh-so-close unless Starmer & Co saved us from no deal.

This was a real screw up by Starmer. Oh well. He's doing nicely on everything else.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:45 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm

That must mean zero Conservative nutters voted against it. And it was supposed to be oh-so-close unless Starmer & Co saved us from no deal.

This was a real screw up by Starmer. Oh well. He's doing nicely on everything else.
It was going to pass anyway so he should have voted against it.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:00 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm
Little waster wrote:

As such I imagine in 2024 every voter in the country will be happy to patiently listen to Labour doorsteppers 5 minute explanation about how ackshully Labour bears no responsibility for the deal they voted for and the problem with the current situation is not because the Remoaners have somehow tricked us into a BINO but that the whole enterprise was doomed from the start. In much the same way the LDs continue to harvest the gratitude of a grateful nation for their enabling role in austerity.

If a voter answers the door to their Labour candidate in 2024 and says no thanks this mess is all your fault I'm going to vote for the Conservatives again, then I don't really know what to tell you.
I don’t know, a lot of the former Labour Red Wall voters justified their switch to the Tories on the basis that 40 years of Thatcherism and ten years of austerity had left their hometowns burnt out shells so therefore ... 5 MOAR YEARS!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:52 pm

cvb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:45 pm
lpm wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm

It was going to pass anyway so he should have voted against it.
Disagree. He spoke very well today in HoC, putting up a good argument as to why to vote to pass it as although it's a flismy piece of shite it's also better than nothing. His actions will be taken out of context but he's the Labour leader so thats inevitable.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:21 am

Little waster wrote:
I imagine in 2024 every voter in the country will be happy to patiently listen to Labour doorsteppers 5 minute explanation about how ackshully Labour bears no responsibility for the deal they voted for and the problem with the current situation is not because the Remoaners have somehow tricked us into a BINO but that the whole enterprise was doomed from the start. In much the same way the LDs continue to harvest the gratitude of a grateful nation for their enabling role in austerity.

Meanwhile I’m sure the Tories will, as always, be happy to accept the full blame for the last decade-and-a-half of mayhem.
If that's how Labour campaigns they will deserve to lose. All but the most rabid Brexiteers agree that the deal was better than no deal, so the defence to voting for it is that it was making a meaningful choice between the alternatives actually available: the bad Tory deal or worse no deal. There should be plenty ways to attack the Conservatives at the next election, unless somehow the Conservative and Unionist party has manages to find actual conservatives among its ranks to oust Boris and his fellow radical idiots.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 am

Interesting take on our failed negotiation...

https://www.politico.eu/article/5-reaso ... xit-talks/
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:46 am

Let's not forget the way the Tories were hammered for their support for the Iraq war at the 2005 and 2010 elections. Or how Labour were blamed for the exit from the ERM in 1992 after supporting our entry into it two years earlier.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:01 pm

EqlAo_CXAAASmiJ.jpeg
EqlAo_CXAAASmiJ.jpeg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Expat Brexiter Brit Spanish-resident cross-border workers in Gibraltar are really losing their sh.t trying to work out how they feel about the proposed absorption of Gib into the Schengen area. f.ck, that was a long sentence, phew!
On one hand, their commute will be much easier. On the other, "taking back control of are borders".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -gibraltar
Time for a big fat one.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:33 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:14 pm
Expat Brexiter Brit Spanish-resident cross-border workers in Gibraltar are really losing their sh.t trying to work out how they feel about the proposed absorption of Gib into the Schengen area. f.ck, that was a long sentence, phew!
On one hand, their commute will be much easier. On the other, "taking back control of are borders".

I wondered about how Brexiteers would take Gibraltar becoming part of Schengen, especially when I saw on the BBC story that they're being a bit coy about whether Spanish border guards would be posted at Gib airport/port as that'll be the effective EU border now.

Ah, well. They knew what they were voting for, as they love to remind everyone. So f.ck 'em.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:59 pm

sh.t, I just lost a bunch of rights.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:00 pm

I feel really soverignity though. I keep bursting into God Save the Queen and talking about what we did in the war.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:09 pm

Our fish are now free.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:21 pm

All the prosecco is now mine.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm

As the transition ends, I'd like to wish all Brexit fans a Very Merry Quitmas.

I hope you get all you wished for.

Because if you don't we'll all still be paying for it for decades to come.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:20 am

Opti wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:14 pm

But Gibraltar voted ~96% remain, so they should be fine with joining the Schengen area and removing Gibraltar-Spain borders, shouldn't they?
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:59 am

Brexit has been done, so the topic of this thread is now redundant. So I’m locking it.

The effects of Brexit, UK-EU relations, Northern Ireland, UK foreign policy and many other associated issues will be very complicated and deserve their own threads. So please make them as and when you like.