Getting Brexit done

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Getting Brexit done

Post by dyqik » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 pm
Is the house a part of the process for agreeing trade deals?
Yes.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:21 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:39 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm
I really want to know if that Twitter thread is real. I'm currently leaning towards it being fake, perhaps based on a couple of crumbs of truth. The author tweeted earlier that it was indeed real (having had some pushback in the comments), but I am skeptical. He seems to be a professional writer and the amusing anecdotes are coming rather thick and fast (oo-er missus). The thread has 50,000 likes and has presumably been seen by people who live nearby and would know exactly who these individuals are. The "idiot son", in particular, might object to that description.
Its common in parts of teh interwebs to change parts of a story in order to protect people's privacy. So the idiot son could be an idiot sister etc.

I don't really care whether its true or not. There are lots of voters who don't pay much attention and believe people like the current Prime Minister who explicitly told them that after Brexit "British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down."
Oh, there are lots of great points about Brexit in the thread, and I have been trying to contribute background information to those who have asked (in good faith, but also to Julia Hartley-Brewer) what the problems are.

But the author has insisted twice now that every detail is true, even though it's just amazing how every character is so colourful: The lawyer (new today) who is paranoid about Skype, the mayor who comes round chummily for an apéro and laughs about how all his staff are going to be taking the piss out of the idiot son, the idiot son's boss WhatsApping with titbits about the idiot son falling off a bridge in Hemel Hempstead... the guy is good, the story is full of laughs, it reminds me of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin in places, but the whole thing is clearly at least 95% fictional. I'd guess the only thing that happened is the neighbours discovered they will need a long-term Schengen visa and private health cover to retire there, and everything else took off in the guy's imagination. Apart from anything else, if he really is who he says he is, someone will have worked out what town it is by now, and the mayor would not take kindly to it being reported that he behaved in such an unprofessional way.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to take kindly to even the gentlest suggestions that it might not all be true, as he has blocked me for saying so.
Does this 'lawyer' know that the man he was talking to has been tweeting the entire thing, including the conversation in which the lawyer appears to imply (to a total stranger) that he won't be giving his 'clients' accurate advice about their prospects of getting what they want? Have I misunderstood that bit?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:54 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:38 pm
Is the house a part of the process for agreeing trade deals?
Yes.
Ah, great.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:06 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
... Anyway, he doesn't seem to take kindly to even the gentlest suggestions that it might not all be true, as he has blocked me for saying so.
Does this 'lawyer' know that the man he was talking to has been tweeting the entire thing, including the conversation in which the lawyer appears to imply (to a total stranger) that he won't be giving his 'clients' accurate advice about their prospects of getting what they want? Have I misunderstood that bit?
I wonder if he also blocked the person who says his profile pic is a stock photo and everything about him appears to be made up.
https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/127 ... 72/photo/1

An entertaining fiction, it seems.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 pm

discovolante wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:
But the author has insisted twice now that every detail is true, even though it's just amazing how every character is so colourful: The lawyer (new today) who is paranoid about Skype, the mayor who comes round chummily for an apéro and laughs about how all his staff are going to be taking the piss out of the idiot son, the idiot son's boss WhatsApping with titbits about the idiot son falling off a bridge in Hemel Hempstead... the guy is good, the story is full of laughs, it reminds me of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin in places, but the whole thing is clearly at least 95% fictional. I'd guess the only thing that happened is the neighbours discovered they will need a long-term Schengen visa and private health cover to retire there, and everything else took off in the guy's imagination. Apart from anything else, if he really is who he says he is, someone will have worked out what town it is by now, and the mayor would not take kindly to it being reported that he behaved in such an unprofessional way.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to take kindly to even the gentlest suggestions that it might not all be true, as he has blocked me for saying so.
Well, quite. The thread assumes that none of the "characters" are aware of the thread or their participation in it, which is starting to get implausible. It's now a bit like EastEnders, where nobody ever watches EastEnders (and where the whole of the spring of 2020 was free of any concerns about the coronavirus). The whole thing jumped the shark when the lawyer was introduced as being paranoid about Skype, which got hastily rolled back, presumably after poor reactions from early screening audiences. (That said, it would be quite funny if it were true, and the "idiot son" turned up tomorrow having found out what the author is saying about him and his family on Twitter.)

Another thing that is annoying me about that thread is that people are reacting with "Well, maybe it isn't true, but that doesn't matter because this is exactly what Brexiteers are like". Which to me is indistinguishable for blaming an explosion on Muslim terrorists and then when we find out it was a gas leak, saying "Well if could of [sic] been Muslims, so that justifies me blaming them for it".
Something something hammer something something nail

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 pm
discovolante wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

Well, quite. The thread assumes that none of the "characters" are aware of the thread or their participation in it, which is starting to get implausible. It's now a bit like EastEnders, where nobody ever watches EastEnders (and where the whole of the spring of 2020 was free of any concerns about the coronavirus). The whole thing jumped the shark when the lawyer was introduced as being paranoid about Skype, which got hastily rolled back, presumably after poor reactions from early screening audiences. (That said, it would be quite funny if it were true, and the "idiot son" turned up tomorrow having found out what the author is saying about him and his family on Twitter.)

Another thing that is annoying me about that thread is that people are reacting with "Well, maybe it isn't true, but that doesn't matter because this is exactly what Brexiteers are like". Which to me is indistinguishable for blaming an explosion on Muslim terrorists and then when we find out it was a gas leak, saying "Well if could of [sic] been Muslims, so that justifies me blaming them for it".
It was me in that discussion with the 'retired American lawyer', in case you hadn't realised (although given I brought up the same thing in two places...). He was a bit of a prick.

It's an 'entertaining' thread and if it had just kind of stopped early on it would probably have been OK but it is getting a bit out of hand...but on the other hand, people's prejudices are all fully confirmed so I'm not sure what more damage it could do in that respect.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:51 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
discovolante wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:

Well, quite. The thread assumes that none of the "characters" are aware of the thread or their participation in it, which is starting to get implausible. It's now a bit like EastEnders, where nobody ever watches EastEnders (and where the whole of the spring of 2020 was free of any concerns about the coronavirus).
I don't think that the story is 100% verbatim truth. But i don't agree with that. Over half the UK population has never been on Twitter, and the story thread only has 131k likes. Seems a lot but its a tiny proportion of the UK population. Far less than a prime time UK soap.
sTeamTraen wrote:
The whole thing jumped the shark when the lawyer was introduced as being paranoid about Skype, which got hastily rolled back, presumably after poor reactions from early screening audiences. (That said, it would be quite funny if it were true, and the "idiot son" turned up tomorrow having found out what the author is saying about him and his family on Twitter.)
I agree, it does seem to be embellished at least. But whoever is behind it is a good writer, and the RS Archer account doesn't look like a classic fake. Its been active for months and the tweets and retweets are pretty consistent. So it doesn't look like something created in a Moscow office block. Also, whoever is behind the account couldn't have predicted the interest in the story.

My guess is that 'RS Archer' is a writer based in France, but the story is at least heavily embellished.

Based upon people I know I do find the general premise of someone who owns property in France being completely unaware of the implications of Brexit to be plausible.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:13 pm

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 pm
It was me in that discussion with the 'retired American lawyer', in case you hadn't realised (although given I brought up the same thing in two places...). He was a bit of a prick.
I didn't realise. Yes, he was.
discovolante wrote:
It's an 'entertaining' thread and if it had just kind of stopped early on it would probably have been OK but it is getting a bit out of hand...but on the other hand, people's prejudices are all fully confirmed so I'm not sure what more damage it could do in that respect.
A related thread has taken an amusing turn, where a staunch anti-Brexiteer has decided that I must be a fake account because I posted actual facts and figures about the issues caused by Brexit, rather than just repeating "Boris is a c.nt and everything is awful". I recently left an anti-Brexit Facebook group because it had become the mirror image of a Gammon-fest ("DOMINIC CUMMINGS LITERALLY WANTS TO KILL EVERY PENSIONER, NO, REALLY, LITERALLY, KILL THEM ALL", 300 likes).

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:36 pm

One thing that seems to be missing from the debate about the home owners’ wealth and income is that lots of working class people were able to buy their council house under the right to buy legislation.

If, say, a couple aged 35 had bought a London council flat in 1990, they’d now be approaching retirement and own an asset worth a lot of money even if their income or pension isn’t very high. It’s not hard to imagine people like that selling up and using the money to buy a home somewhere sunny.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:36 pm
One thing that seems to be missing from the debate about the home owners’ wealth and income is that lots of working class people were able to buy their council house under the right to buy legislation.

If, say, a couple aged 35 had bought a London council flat in 1990, they’d now be approaching retirement and own an asset worth a lot of money even if their income or pension isn’t very high. It’s not hard to imagine people like that selling up and using the money to buy a home somewhere sunny.
Every country has different wealth and income requirements for third-country nationals. If you own property in Spain for more than €500,000 (unmortgaged) they will fast-track you to permanent residency. (This isn't quite as corrupt as Malta's "golden passport", because becoming Spanish requires renouncing your original nationality, ouch). Otherwise the figure I've seen quoted is €32,000 pa pre-tax, plus you need your own medical coverage; that figure might be reduced a bit if you have a decent amount of home equity below €500,000. For France I don't know. For Switzerland it's at least 50,000 CHF, but I wouldn't want to try and live on less than that in Switzerland anyway. (Fun fact: about 4 years ago the Swiss had a referendum on a national minimum wage of 4,000 CHF per month. Lidl campaigned in favour, on the basis that they already paid their staff at least 4,000 CHF a month. That's about £40,000 annual salary at the current exchange rate. But prices of everything in Switzerland are very high.)

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

Every country has different wealth and income requirements for third-country nationals. If you own property in Spain for more than €500,000 (unmortgaged) they will fast-track you to permanent residency. (This isn't quite as corrupt as Malta's "golden passport", because becoming Spanish requires renouncing your original nationality, ouch). Otherwise the figure I've seen quoted is €32,000 pa pre-tax, plus you need your own medical coverage; that figure might be reduced a bit if you have a decent amount of home equity below €500,000. For France I don't know. For Switzerland it's at least 50,000 CHF, but I wouldn't want to try and live on less than that in Switzerland anyway. (Fun fact: about 4 years ago the Swiss had a referendum on a national minimum wage of 4,000 CHF per month. Lidl campaigned in favour, on the basis that they already paid their staff at least 4,000 CHF a month. That's about £40,000 annual salary at the current exchange rate. But prices of everything in Switzerland are very high.)
From the link above it looks like the threshold for a couple in France is EUR 2 048 net income per month, and out of that they'd need to buy health insurance (which for pensioners isn't cheap).

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
From the link above it looks like the threshold for a couple in France is EUR 2 048 net income per month, and out of that they'd need to buy health insurance (which for pensioners isn't cheap).
Thanks - which link? There are lots...

2048 Euros net (not sure "net" of what, but income tax in France at that level is not huge) isn't perhaps an unsurmountable obstacle for a couple with reasonable pensions, but as you say, if they have to pay for private medical insurance, maybe with a pre-existing condition, the issue isn't going to be having that amount coming in, it's going to have enough left to live on.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:03 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Thanks - which link? There are lots...

2048 Euros net (not sure "net" of what, but income tax in France at that level is not huge) isn't perhaps an unsurmountable obstacle for a couple with reasonable pensions, but as you say, if they have to pay for private medical insurance, maybe with a pre-existing condition, the issue isn't going to be having that amount coming in, it's going to have enough left to live on.
Here’s the post: viewtopic.php?t=499&start=650

I’m assuming that net income means after tax.

It’s very difficult to know the cost of medical insurance without knowing more about them. If they have problems already it may not even be possible.

Full UK state Pension for a couple would be circa EUR 1550 per month.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:08 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:13 pm
discovolante wrote:
I didn't realise. Yes, he was.
discovolante wrote:
A related thread has taken an amusing turn, where a staunch anti-Brexiteer has decided that I must be a fake account because I posted actual facts and figures about the issues caused by Brexit, rather than just repeating "Boris is a c.nt and everything is awful". I recently left an anti-Brexit Facebook group because it had become the mirror image of a Gammon-fest ("DOMINIC CUMMINGS LITERALLY WANTS TO KILL EVERY PENSIONER, NO, REALLY, LITERALLY, KILL THEM ALL", 300 likes).
There's a lot of hardcore FBPE twitter who behave that way
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Woodchopper wrote:

Slight derail just for the hell of it: the maximum standard state pension in Switzerland (the premier pilier) is something like CHF 2300 for a single person and CHF 3400 for a couple. This is decent by European standards but pretty much impossible to live on unless you own property and have resources. This is why everybody who can has a private pension plan (deuxième pilier) and if possible a further investment fund (troisième pilier). Conventional wisdom here is that to retire comfortably you would want CHF 2 million in a fund that pays out 5% a year without touching the capital. Or you retire to a pays low cost where your CHF goes a lot further.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

MartinDurkin
Clardic Fug

Post by MartinDurkin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

malbui wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am
.... Or you retire to a pays low cost where your CHF goes a lot further.
Yeah, my wife and I worked in Switzerland for a short time (6 years me, 3 years for my wife) and our Swiss State pension (pillar 1) is currently forecast to be 30% of our full UK state pensions and it pays out earlier. The way the current government is performing I expect by the time it pays out the exchange rate will mean the fraction of a Swiss pension will be worth more than the full UK pension.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 pm
Great Twitter thread (assuming it's true) about British family who've only just now understood what Brexit means: https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/12 ... 86240?s=19
The account has now been deleted.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Great Twitter thread (assuming it's true) about British family who've only just now understood what Brexit means: https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/12 ... 86240?s=19
This thread looks a little more believable - https://twitter.com/abigailb/status/1278654608429244417

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:38 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Brightonian wrote:
This thread looks a little more believable - https://twitter.com/abigailb/status/1278654608429244417
The whole thing has become a meme now... https://twitter.com/Life_Disrupted/stat ... 6455321600

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

The whole thing has become a meme now... https://twitter.com/Life_Disrupted/stat ... 6455321600
I just came here to post that.

It seems very believable
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm

dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
Brightonian wrote:
I know Abi really well. 😂

small world.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:35 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

small world.

She was on fire in those tweets

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 pm

bjn wrote:
dyqik wrote:
Gfamily wrote:

small world.
Actually, you are one of the people I might believe could have a moon rocket in a garden shed. If she mentioned medieval armour, I'd have been certain.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:45 am

jimbob wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 pm
bjn wrote:
dyqik wrote:

small world.
Actually, you are one of the people I might believe could have a moon rocket in a garden shed. If she mentioned medieval armour, I'd have been certain.
How different are medieval armor and a spacesuit anyway?

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:44 am

Air tightness for a start.