Associate EU citizenship

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Associate EU citizenship

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:16 pm

This idea was first floated just after the Brexit referendum and has recently made a reappearance, e.g. here (aside: can this board do embedded tweets?)

I think it's prima facie(*) completely bonkers, but if anyone can explain to me how it might work in practice (show your working, in detail, including the application process and the legal status of people once they have obtained this status), I'm all ears.

(*) I'm not sure if this should be italicised or not. APA style says to use italics for non-English expressions unless they are in common usage. For example, "a priori" would typically not be italicised in a scientific article. </nerdproblems>
Something something hammer something something nail

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Associate EU citizenship

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:39 pm

It could involve any rights from a large range of options, so I guess it's hard to criticize it as a concept without specifics. Until there are concrete proposals, I don't think you can say it's obviously bollocks.

A low level and not too difficult option could be something like a permanent or longer term US ESTA status - just being in an EU-wide tourist/business travel visa waiver system permanently (no employment visa status). That could easily be given to anyone currently eligible, and be paid for service for new people asking for it well after Brexit. Adding employment visa status or priority could get messy quickly, but not necessarily.

Estonia's e-residency thing is also out there as an option that could be explored. That's basically working, I think.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm

ESTA is basically just a pre-filling in of the I-94 form that people used to complete during the descent into JFK in turbulence after a few drinks. I don't blame the Americans for putting it online so the data actually matches the passport. The new EU system called ETIAS will be similar - I think the mooted price is 5 Euros for 3 years, which is a third of the price per year of the ESTA. But I really don't think that this is what Verhofstadt means.
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:59 pm

When it was discussed before by Verhofstadt, Associate Citizenship just meant a visa free right to work in EU member states.

That might be feasible. The hurdle being that working visas are issued by national authorities so negotiations would be complex.

There would be many difficult issues: what about non-working dependents, or if someone lost their job, or decided to retire?

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:15 pm

ISTR Verhofstadt (who is wonderful) abandoned the idea back then as it did not fit the treaties.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 pm

I think as well as concrete things like retaining rights to freedom of movement, there's are more intangible reasons people want this. For many of us being European and being British are not an either/ or thing, and the fact that my (European) citizenship and rights are being taken away from me against my will based on a wafer thin majority in a a fraudulently conducted advisory referendum is something I remain extremely angry about. To be able to retain the part of my identity that is that of a European citizen is quite important to me on an existential level

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Some triggered gammon BTL. How dare this Eurocrat defy the unanimous Will of the People by suggesting a voluntary system for the Remoaner majority to retain some aspects of their European citizenship that the xenophobic minority insist they must relinquish. It’s like something from the Soviet Union!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 pm
ESTA is basically just a pre-filling in of the I-94 form that people used to complete during the descent into JFK in turbulence after a few drinks. I don't blame the Americans for putting it online so the data actually matches the passport. The new EU system called ETIAS will be similar - I think the mooted price is 5 Euros for 3 years, which is a third of the price per year of the ESTA. But I really don't think that this is what Verhofstadt means.
Yeah, that's at the very lowest end of what could be meant, but clearly works in practice and can be implemented.

E-residency is something that could be implemented with a bit more work.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Wot Fang said up there a bit.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm not having a go, but I don't recall ever hearing anybody ever say that they "identify as European" before the referendum.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:59 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:41 pm
I'm not having a go, but I don't recall ever hearing anybody ever say that they "identify as European" before the referendum.
It’s how I described myself pre-2016. I would have worded it differently, but all the same.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Same here, but I'm not sure anyone asked me.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:18 pm

TimW wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 pm
Same here, but I'm not sure anyone asked me.
Ditto. There was no reason to ask before the referendum campaign, but I knew I had an EU passport, an EHIC, was represented by MEPs and had a bunch of funding from the EU FP7 program.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Count me in also.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 am

Fair enough. I stand corrected-ish! (And it's certainly true that I never asked anyone either)

Identity is a weird thing, I think. Hard to pin down. Before the ref I was doing an Erasmus masters with an EU scholarship, living in France and Portugal and using my EHIC on the reg. But while nobody asked me either, I'm not sure I'd have said I felt in some way 'European' exactly. The EU's a fantastic thing, but part of that for me is because it supersedes identities rather than being one, iyswim. Not that I really thought about it.

Anyways watevs, that's a load of pointless waffle. The more EU rights we can opt into the better. It would be great to see the EU taking the high road here and just offering it unilaterally.

And it would be hilarious stepping off a flight to the continent and watching the British passengers split into Leave and Remain(+ hypocrites) queues at the border
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:50 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Concentric identity innit.

I’m a Geordie, I’m northern, I’m English, I’m British, I’m European.

Now some c.nts want to shrink my horizons cos they don’t like brown people and so my living standards and my children’s future have to take the hit so they can have a different coloured passport.

I’m slightly narked.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:24 am

I may primarily think of myself as being a Welshman in <My county> of England, but when it comes to the Ryder Cup, I'm a European.

Me, I was born at a time when I didn't need to worry about whether I would need 'permission' to work in England or Scotland.

Our children; they were born at a time when they didn't [... ditto ...] in most European countries. The potential removal of that right is a f.cking disgrace.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am

Oh, I always referred to myself as European first, British second, English third.

Mainly because I've never felt I have anything in common with my country people.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Before 2016, EU membership was considered an important issue by only 5% of the population. So the question of whether a person is simultaneous European and British never came up. And until the Brextremists imposed on the country that the idea of leaving the EU meant leaving the Single Market, Customs Union and every single other European program and organisation (something that was never even hinted at as being an option by the Leave campaign), the idea that one had to split the "British" and "European" identity as if they were mutually exclusive also never came up

CF

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 am

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Before 2016, EU membership was considered an important issue by only 5% of the population. So the question of whether a person is simultaneous European and British never came up. And until the Brextremists imposed on the country that the idea of leaving the EU meant leaving the Single Market, Customs Union and every single other European program and organisation (something that was never even hinted at as being an option by the Leave campaign), the idea that one had to split the "British" and "European" identity as if they were mutually exclusive also never came up

CF
Even just a year ago one of the Brexiteers was still promising we’d retain FOM to the EU even after leaving it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... leaving-eu

Can’t recall what happened to him, I suppose he lost out in the internal power struggle among the Brexiteers so his vision never got a chance to be implemented. Shame :(

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:10 pm

I'm proud to identify as a European, and I have benefited from FOM and many other European programmes. The fact that Brexit has forcibly reduced the horizons of many young people in the UK is a crying shame, and I don't think that 'global Britain' is an adequate alternative.

There is much to criticise about the EU, but seeking to modify the rules and behaviours of a club works much better from the inside as a paying member than from the outside as a non-paying critic, however, the UK's politicians have made their bed...