Trump Impeachment

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Trump Impeachment

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:36 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm
Notionally a defeat for Trump, but successfully delays.
Yeah. But it'll really piss Trump off, which is a start.

The NY case may not need to be relitigated too much, but the House subpoena will. Which will take months, if not years.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:09 pm

“This is all a political prosecution. … I have to keep fighting in a politically corrupt New York. Not fair to this Presidency or Administration! … Courts in the past have given ‘broad deference’. BUT NOT ME!”
I think you mean "persecution" Donald...

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Interesting one...

Back in the day, the Democrats wanted Mueller to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee but that never happened. Now Lindsey Graham is calling for that to happen...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 am

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... SApp_Other
Are we about to see criminal charges against Trump Org?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:14 am

Grumble wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:26 am
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... SApp_Other
Are we about to see criminal charges against Trump Org?
I think probably yes. But I also think Don Trump himself will be largely unscathed - it's his employees that end up in jail.

He might also "lose" some money he never actually had.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:50 pm

Lol. Keeping two sets of books. Lol. They're so bad at this.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:53 pm

If you have the time, this really is a cracking read - "A federal judge ordered sanctions against 9 pro-Trump lawyers, including Sidney Powell and L. Lin Wood, ruling that a lawsuit that they filed challenging the validity of the presidential election was "a historic and profound abuse of the judicial process." (NYT)

What is brilliant about this is that the judge hasn't just dismissed the ludicrous claims of Trump's lawyers, she's actually gone through them one by one, and forensically debunked every single one. By taking their claims seriously - something I don't think they ever expected - she has utterly demolished not just their case, but their reputations and possibly their careers.

If you don't have the time, pages 55-57 give a good example of the f.cking batshittery that Powell etc went into court with, and pages 109-110 gives the list of sanctions against them by the judge, including this, which I think is my favourite:
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Plaintiffs’ attorneys shall each complete at least twelve (12) hours of continuing legal education in the subjects of pleading standards (at least six hours total) and election law (at least six hours total) within six months of this decision. Any courses must be offered by a non-partisan organization and must be paid for at counsel’s expense. Within six months of this decision, each attorney representing Plaintiffs shall file an affidavit in this case describing the content and length of the courses attended to satisfy this requirement.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:40 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:53 pm
If you have the time, this really is a cracking read - "A federal judge ordered sanctions against 9 pro-Trump lawyers, including Sidney Powell and L. Lin Wood, ruling that a lawsuit that they filed challenging the validity of the presidential election was "a historic and profound abuse of the judicial process." (NYT)

What is brilliant about this is that the judge hasn't just dismissed the ludicrous claims of Trump's lawyers, she's actually gone through them one by one, and forensically debunked every single one. By taking their claims seriously - something I don't think they ever expected - she has utterly demolished not just their case, but their reputations and possibly their careers.

If you don't have the time, pages 55-57 give a good example of the f.cking batshittery that Powell etc went into court with, and pages 109-110 gives the list of sanctions against them by the judge, including this, which I think is my favourite:
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Plaintiffs’ attorneys shall each complete at least twelve (12) hours of continuing legal education in the subjects of pleading standards (at least six hours total) and election law (at least six hours total) within six months of this decision. Any courses must be offered by a non-partisan organization and must be paid for at counsel’s expense. Within six months of this decision, each attorney representing Plaintiffs shall file an affidavit in this case describing the content and length of the courses attended to satisfy this requirement.
I hope they feel suitably eviscerated
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Haha. She's sent them back to the classroom and told them to produce some evidence they've learned something!
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:44 pm

I've just finished reading it all.

That's a proper shoeing, that is.
Time for a big fat one.