has education funding increased?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

has education funding increased?

Post by Gfamily » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Some data on education spending

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14369
Last edited by Stephanie on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from class and class relations in the modern UK thread
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

individualmember
Catbabel

Re: has education funding increased?

Post by individualmember » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks. The increased number of TAs compared with teachers and lowering 'per pupil' spending/increased class sizes since 2009/10 is what has been happening in this neck of the woods (at least in Hillingdon,where my wife works). Although to be fair its only in the last 2 to 3 years that my wife has been concerned about impending staff cuts that won't be covered by natural wastage and will have to be redundancies.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:17 pm

individualmember wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:56 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Thanks. The increased number of TAs compared with teachers and lowering 'per pupil' spending/increased class sizes since 2009/10 is what has been happening in this neck of the woods (at least in Hillingdon,where my wife works). Although to be fair its only in the last 2 to 3 years that my wife has been concerned about impending staff cuts that won't be covered by natural wastage and will have to be redundancies.
Spending per pupil has increased in real terms except in the further education sector

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:28 pm

IFS wrote:Total school spending per pupil in England has fallen by 8% in real terms between 2009–10 and 2019–20. The bulk of these funding cuts were driven by a 57% reduction in spending per pupil on services provided by local authorities and a more than 20% cut in sixth-form funding per pupil.=
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:28 pm
IFS wrote:Total school spending per pupil in England has fallen by 8% in real terms between 2009–10 and 2019–20. The bulk of these funding cuts were driven by a 57% reduction in spending per pupil on services provided by local authorities and a more than 20% cut in sixth-form funding per pupil.=
I saw what they wrote. Look at the graph again.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Sheldrake: Please provide a link to the source of the graph.
Gfamily: Please provide a link to the source of the quote.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:49 pm

bolo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:40 pm
Sheldrake: Please provide a link to the source of the graph.
Gfamily: Please provide a link to the source of the quote.
Both from the IFS report I linked to upthread

Meta? I'd say so!

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:34 pm

There are data tables. Per Table 3.1, it looks like spending by schools has gone up, but total spending has gone down because spending by local authorities has fallen off a cliff.

I don't claim this as an authoritative answer because (a) I'm on a phone, (b) I'm in a bar, and (c) I don't really know your forrin funding system.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Missed the edit window:

Perhaps someone non-forrin could explain the distinction between spending by schools and spending by local authorities. I presume the schools aren't directly raising the money they spend, so where are they getting it from, if not the local authorities? And if the local authority money isn't being spent by schools, who's spending it and what's it being spent on?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Education funding has increased faster than inflation for over a decade.
Possibly true but I would like to see some evidence. Also, what have student numbers been doing? How fast is the funding per head increasing?
The problem with our education system is not funding, it's the rotten anti-aspirational culture of the educational establishment.
Some evidence that this exists would also be nice as it does not match my experience of working in the sector. Toby Young used to trot out this canard - until he tried running a Free School and was forced to admit that having aspirations did not automatically translate into improved outcomes.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 pm

bolo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Missed the edit window:

Perhaps someone non-forrin could explain the distinction between spending by schools and spending by local authorities. I presume the schools aren't directly raising the money they spend, so where are they getting it from, if not the local authorities? And if the local authority money isn't being spent by schools, who's spending it and what's it being spent on?
Although the majority of schools used to be under the control of and funded by Local Authorities, Central government directly funds Academies and 'Free Schools', and the majority of secondary schools (and about 25% of primary schools) are now academies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_(English_school)
Meta? I'd say so!

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:07 pm

JQH wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Education funding has increased faster than inflation for over a decade.
Possibly true but I would like to see some evidence. Also, what have student numbers been doing? How fast is the funding per head increasing?
The problem with our education system is not funding, it's the rotten anti-aspirational culture of the educational establishment.
Some evidence that this exists would also be nice as it does not match my experience of working in the sector. Toby Young used to trot out this canard - until he tried running a Free School and was forced to admit that having aspirations did not automatically translate into improved outcomes.

Couldn't he have got his father to make a few calls, hand over some cash and sort it out? After all it worked for his own educational problems.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 pm

JQH wrote:
Resistance to increased rigour Gove was trying to introduce was one example already given. Continued resistance to attempts to objectively measure children's educational progress, particularly when it's tied to the performance of teaching staff.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:27 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 pm
bolo wrote:
Missed the edit window:

Although the majority of schools used to be under the control of and funded by Local Authorities, Central government directly funds Academies and 'Free Schools', and the majority of secondary schools (and about 25% of primary schools) are now academies.
So "spending per pupil by schools has gone up" is an artifact of a change in the route the money takes from taxpayer to classroom? And "total spending per pupil has gone down" is more indicative of the resources actually available?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:29 pm

bolo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:27 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:04 pm
bolo wrote:
Missed the edit window:

So "spending per pupil by schools has gone up" is an artifact of a change in the route the money takes from taxpayer to classroom? And "total spending per pupil has gone down" is more indicative of the resources actually available?
No.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:29 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 pm
JQH wrote:
Resistance to increased rigour Gove was trying to introduce was one example already given. Continued resistance to attempts to objectively measure children's educational progress, particularly when it's tied to the performance of teaching staff.
And how would you suggest educational progress be objectively measured?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:31 pm

JQH wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:29 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 pm
JQH wrote:
And how would you suggest educational progress be objectively measured?
By giving children across the country standard tests at various age checkpoints, as we do now.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:32 pm

sheldrake wrote:
No
Because ... ?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:36 pm

bolo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:32 pm
sheldrake wrote:
No
Because ... ?
Because spending per pupil in the UK has actually increased in real terms. There's nothing illusory about the graph.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 pm

A graph doesn't tell you anything unless you understand what it's graphing. In this case, it appears to be graphing "school spending," which is apparently not the same as "spending". Look at the data tables.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:37 am

bolo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 pm
A graph doesn't tell you anything unless you understand what it's graphing. In this case, it appears to be graphing "school spending," which is apparently not the same as "spending". Look at the data tables.
But school spending per pupil is what determines the front line resources available to the children. Even if that local authority spending reduction since 2010 represented a withdrawal of real useful services, it is stlil a modest blip in an upward trend (above inflation) going back 20 years. UK Education hasn't been improving in line with funding for a generation or so. The first sign of it actually getting better, Gove's reforms, was resisted by the same people who always claim they don't have enough money.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 am

sheldrake wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:37 am
But school spending per pupil is what determines the front line resources available to the children.
Do you have any evidence for this? Equally plausible is that the drop in local authority spending coincided with a shift of administrative responsibilities from LAs to schools, so that a smaller fraction of school spending actually reaches the classroom.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:03 am

sheldrake wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:37 am
UK Education hasn't been improving in line with funding for a generation or so.
See the Baumol effect.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:36 am

bolo wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 am
Do you have any evidence for this? Equally plausible is that the drop in local authority spending coincided with a shift of administrative responsibilities from LAs to schools, so that a smaller fraction of school spending actually reaches the classroom.
Total education spending for the UK increased faster than inflation for 3 decades.
Last edited by sheldrake on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.