The Croydon Cat Killer

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
plodder
Stummy Beige

The Croydon Cat Killer

Post by plodder » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Has been caught, in Brighton, for offenses carried out in Brighton, so not so alliterative, but anyway. I know some here were skeptical there was such a thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... n-brighton

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Re: The Croydon Cat Killer

Post by greyspoke » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:56 pm

I was going to post about this. Sali and Medi are outraged.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 pm

The charge of animal cruelty... would... attract a lesser sentence than criminal damage.
Seems wrong to me.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 pm
The charge of animal cruelty... would... attract a lesser sentence than criminal damage.
Seems wrong to me.
Sentencing guidelines for animal cruelty here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... ised-2017/ max 26 weeks custody.

Guidelines for criminal damage here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... al-damage/ max 3 months custody.

So presumably something particular to this case that means an animal cruelty charge would likely result in a lesser sentence than criminal damage. I haven't bothered to compare the guidelines against whatever we know about this case but if anyone else wants to then be my guest.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:06 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:53 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 pm
Seems wrong to me.
Sentencing guidelines for animal cruelty here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... ised-2017/ max 26 weeks custody.

Guidelines for criminal damage here: https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... al-damage/ max 3 months custody.

So presumably something particular to this case that means an animal cruelty charge would likely result in a lesser sentence than criminal damage. I haven't bothered to compare the guidelines against whatever we know about this case but if anyone else wants to then be my guest.

I'd be worried about what someone who tortures animals would do if they had access to vulnerable people in a way that I wouldn't be worried about a vandal.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Apologies, I missed out criminal damage where the value exceeds £5k https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... nal-damage

Neither include fire but tbh that's arguably a different kettle of fish.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:34 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 pm
Apologies, I missed out criminal damage where the value exceeds £5k https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... nal-damage

My understanding recollection (from a Radio-4 programme about 25-years ago or longer) is that arson can lead to a life sentence, even if it's actually a pretty minor fire.

Presumably there'd be particular reasons.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:03 am

Seems the Kroydon Kitteh Kutter was also done for carrying a bade in public. That alone should see him sent down.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:08 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Wouldn't keep fish in a kettle be covered by animal cruelty?

touchingcloth
Fuzzable

Post by touchingcloth » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 pm

How has Croydon found its way into the title?

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:17 am

touchingcloth wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:11 pm
The original stories were centred on Norwood in London but there is no possible alliterative newspaper headline to be had from that; so, as Norwood is close by to Croydon, and there were cats involved and they were being killed & scavenged by cars & foxes (and possibly badgers*) but it was thought some other mythical entity was involved the papers - in a master piece of invention - not once hesitating to let truth stand in the way of a good, easily memorable headline - attributed the whole sequence of shock reports and anecdotes to the fabled 'Croydon Cat Killer' (nearby Dulwich, MItcham & Bromley all being discounted for the same reason as was Norwood itself). As there was now an established popular cause for road kills being scavenged by foxes that didn't need cars and foxes (or badgers) as part of its explanation (one thing versus two things, you see, much less complicated to explain) every cat (or rabbit, guinea pig) that had been killed anywhere in the country by a car (or other) and later scavenged by a fox (or other) became a victim of the mythical C.C.C. whether it was in Penge or Durham Dungeness. Mass communication had created an hysteria.

In later days when actual people started going out and killing cats for real, the original mythical entity was brought back into play because the legend had by now grown to big to contain.

*Badgers don't just eat worms and berries you know; ther's nothing they like more than to gobble up a nest of baby hedge-hogs.
FAQs: Baby hedge-hogs are soft and furry rather than spiny.
Yes they do eat adult hedge-hogs too: they peel back the spines, turn them inside out and munch, munch, munch.
HTH
TB
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:48 am

touchingcloth wrote:
The Kemptown Kitteh Killer would seem more accurate.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 am

tenchboy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:17 am
touchingcloth wrote:
The original stories were centred on Norwood in London but there is no possible alliterative newspaper headline to be had from that; so, as Norwood is close by to Croydon, and there were cats involved and they were being killed & scavenged by cars & foxes (and possibly badgers*) but it was thought some other mythical entity was involved the papers - in a master piece of invention - not once hesitating to let truth stand in the way of a good, easily memorable headline - attributed the whole sequence of shock reports and anecdotes to the fabled 'Croydon Cat Killer' (nearby Dulwich, MItcham & Bromley all being discounted for the same reason as was Norwood itself). As there was now an established popular cause for road kills being scavenged by foxes that didn't need cars and foxes (or badgers) as part of its explanation (one thing versus two things, you see, much less complicated to explain) every cat (or rabbit, guinea pig) that had been killed anywhere in the country by a car (or other) and later scavenged by a fox (or other) became a victim of the mythical C.C.C. whether it was in Penge or Durham Dungeness. Mass communication had created an hysteria.

In later days when actual people started going out and killing cats for real, the original mythical entity was brought back into play because the legend had by now grown to big to contain.

*Badgers don't just eat worms and berries you know; ther's nothing they like more than to gobble up a nest of baby hedge-hogs.
FAQs: Baby hedge-hogs are soft and furry rather than spiny.
Yes they do eat adult hedge-hogs too: they peel back the spines, turn them inside out and munch, munch, munch.
HTH
TB
South Norwood is in the London Borough of Croydon, though Upper Norwood includes a join between multiple inner and outer boroughs.

Also, top marks for mentioning Penge!

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:40 pm

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:52 pm

Charged December 2019. Sentenced July 2021. Sadly, this is par for the course in our criminal justice system at the moment.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 am
South Norwood is in the London Borough of Croydon, though Upper Norwood includes a join between multiple inner and outer boroughs.

There is a growing* separatist movement though to create a new borough - Great Norwood** out of south Lambeth, south Southwark, SW Lewisham , NW Bromley and N Croydon.

*i just started it, anyone in

** open to name suggestions

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 am

noggins wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 pm
greyspoke wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 am

There is a growing* separatist movement though to create a new borough - Great Norwood** out of south Lambeth, south Southwark, SW Lewisham , NW Bromley and N Croydon.

*i just started it, anyone in

** open to name suggestions
Evokes the origin of many local names: Great North Wood.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:22 pm

London cat 'serial killer' was just foxes, DNA analysis confirms

Between 2014 and 2018, more than 300 mutilated cat carcasses were found on London streets, leading to sensational media reports that a feline-targeting serial killer was on the loose. The fact that the cats often had their heads or tails cut off, as well as the cleanliness of their wounds, led many to suspect human involvement. Others dismissed the suggestion, pointing the finger at foxes instead.
To find out more, Henny Martineau at the Royal Veterinary College in the UK and her colleagues analysed 32 mutilated cat carcasses found by the public between 2016 and 2018. The bodies had been stored by the Hertfordshire and Metropolitan police forces as part of an investigation.
The researchers conducted post-mortem examinations on the cats, as well as CT scans. They also swabbed the cats’ fur to test whether they could find DNA belonging to other animals such as dogs, foxes or badgers.

The police struggled to pinpoint the true killer of the cats because of how different all the carcasses looked, says Martineau. “In our study, there were 13 different combinations of missing body parts, so it was difficult to spot patterns initially.”
Testing for DNA, the researchers concluded that the cats had all been mutilated by foxes after they had died. The post-mortem examination revealed that there was no single cause of death among the cats. They suspect that just 10 of the 32 cats they analysed were killed by foxes.
Read more: Hungry foxes have been raiding our bins for thousands of years
Meanwhile, eight probably died from natural heart or lung failure, while six probably died after being hit by a vehicle. The findings reinforce the conclusions made by the Metropolitan Police in 2018.

Martineau suspects the reason that many of the cats’ tails and heads were chopped off is because foxes have a weak jaw and scavenge alone. “So they are going to target areas that are easy to remove,” she says.
The lack of blood on the edges of the cats’ wounds can also be explained by foxes. “The mutilation occurred after the animal had died, so it would not be bleeding after death,” says Martineau.
“It is hard to say how many foxes were involved, I guess, but it is possible this was only limited to one or a few individuals that figured out cats could be food,” says Kevin Parsons at the University of Glasgow in the UK.
“Croydon is on the edge of London so it may be happening due to new interactions and encroachments,” he says. “But it could also be that these are ‘badly behaved’ foxes for the time being and such behaviours will eventually be selectively removed from the population as we remain in contact.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... z7EgYhOVDi