Intelligence

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
science_fox
Snowbonk

Intelligence

Post by science_fox » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:02 pm

BBC thing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50896542
Links there to The Great British Intelligence Test.

Seems less bad than usual, maybe, in some of them. Some seem pretty dodgy though. Long though, only do if yo've 20min to spare.

Spoiler:

Either I'm rubbish at emotions or their face set is very weird.

I suspect the dataset of results will be skewed by how people take the test, hunogver on NYD may not be my most intelligent! Neither will those who squeeze it in at work coffee breaks etc. Some of them do require more thought than I'm prepared to give an internet quiz.

I got between top 5 and top 40% of those taking test, so just about above average overall.

Any thought son it's construction? Validity of how they present the data? IQ test in general (This does seem to avoid much of the english bias of some tests (other than the two specific language questions).
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

individualmember
Catbabel

Re: Intelligence

Post by individualmember » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 pm

science_fox wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:02 pm
I seem to be rubbish at that as well. Apart from that I got two top 5%s and the rest either top 30% or top 40%. Which matches my self-image of being good at a very narrow range of things but basically indistinguishable from the rest of humanity in most things.

Rich H
Gray Pubic

Post by Rich H » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:02 pm

The trouble with that face test is that the expressions are all false (at least that is how they appear to me) and not genuine expressions.
This information is worth exactly what you paid for it

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:37 pm

individualmember wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:24 pm
science_fox wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:02 pm
I seem to be rubbish at that as well. Apart from that I got two top 5%s and the rest either top 30% or top 40%. Which matches my self-image of being good at a very narrow range of things but basically indistinguishable from the rest of humanity in most things.
Same here. My spider plot looks a bit like a kidney bean:
iqtest.png
iqtest.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
After getting a few of the faces wrong, I had to go slower and compare the individual parts of the face rather than try to interpret whatever emotion they were going for. Even then I got some wrong, where one face squinted and the other didn't but supposedly represented the same emotion. It seemed to me that some of the faces were slightly distorted or morphed, as if they were passed through an Instagram filter or were computer generated.

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:48 pm

I'm so intelligent, I can't even work out how to start the Great British Intelligence Test.

This is what I get on the first page. I have assumed their website is currently down, but my ineptitude cannot be ruled out here.
intelligent.JPG
intelligent.JPG (32.55 KiB) Viewed 3171 times

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 pm

^ Similar for me.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:21 am

Same here with the emotional discrimination
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 am

I've done some of those tests in the past and I find it harder to identify an actor faking an emotion than someone IRL. Also, if you do similar tests several times in a row, your results will improve (not the same test, obv) which just goes to show that IQ tests are good at showing who is good at IQ tests. I know what mine used to be, I'm sure it has declined recently.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:18 am

If the results are presented as percentiles, doesn't that suggest that other people aren't finding the face tests so difficult?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:28 am

mikeh wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:48 pm
I'm so intelligent, I can't even work out how to start the Great British Intelligence Test.

This is what I get on the first page. I have assumed their website is currently down, but my ineptitude cannot be ruled out here.
intelligent.JPG
You have to rotate the white 3D shape on the left to match one of the white 3D shapes on the right. This is the easiest one out of all of them.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:07 pm

My results aren’t showing, annoyingly. Went through all that not to get anything out of it!
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 pm

I did find the questions very slow to load, leading to long stretches staring at a partly blank screen. I also got a 504 bad gateway error once, but just refreshing the page worked without it losing my progress.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Everything has to be great and british these days

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:54 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:54 pm
Everything has to be great and british these days
Something that will be a joke by the end of the year.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm

I did best on the spatial span and rotation ones. I'm assuming that's my video game playing there. Or they are the easy ones
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 pm

I got top marks on rotation, planning, verbal understanding, vocabulary, spacial memory and (surprisingly as I thought I was a bit autistic) recognising emotions.

I have a slightly below average attention span though, and I'm not surprised by that.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 pm

I did worst on any of the working memory test ones. I went back and clicked again on the link after completing and got a different and more comprehensive test with 50 questions. There were questions involving memorising sequences of faces or other shapes and I couldn’t get past 2 or 3. I think a lot of that stems from the fact that I don’t think visually very much at all, I don’t really get pictures in my mind the way I think most people do. Even when some people were black and some were white I couldn’t get very far.

I did well on other aspects though. Here’s my graph after I did the original (10 question) quiz again on a pc.
8A8FF70D-1A5A-4B77-A8C9-F34AA8B42220.jpeg
8A8FF70D-1A5A-4B77-A8C9-F34AA8B42220.jpeg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 am

Thing is, if I took that test I'd just go "yeah I thought so" at all the things I'm good at, and make excuses about all the things I'm bad at, just like everyone else in this thread has been doing. So what's the point? Nobody's gonna be surprised by the result, because nobody will accept it if it's surprising. We're post-truth now.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 am
Thing is, if I took that test I'd just go "yeah I thought so" at all the things I'm good at, and make excuses about all the things I'm bad at, just like everyone else in this thread has been doing. So what's the point? Nobody's gonna be surprised by the result, because nobody will accept it if it's surprising. We're post-truth now.
It surprised me how bad I was at remembering sequences of images, my score on the longer version of the test was much worse than the 50% score on the 10 question version. I also did really badly on a linking names and faces question, though that didn’t surprise me. I’d expect forum members here to have some degree of self awareness though about their strengths and weaknesses - I don’t think saying I think I did relatively poorly at visual memory tasks because of my lack of visual thinking is an excuse so much as knowing that I have a deficit there. I was in my 30s before I realised that was a deficit. Whether I’ve identified the right deficit is a different question, I may have other deficits that this test can help show. I know I accidentally clicked a wrong answer on the emotional discrimination test but my score there is still lower than I would have thought.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:14 am

I know that I suck at remembering sequences of any kind. My short term memory has always been a bit ropey and definitely awful for lists. I tried to explain to a former boss once that some people were good at sequence/list type memorizing and some were better at narrative type remembering (eg stories, poetry, lyrics, events). He wouldn't have it (he was generally an a..eh.le).

I'm also bad at names but good at faces. But then I don't generally care what your name is unless I really like you. Is there an emotional intelligence test for how much you give a monkeys about people?

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:34 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 am
Tbf I went in expecting to suck at everything, and was surprised at what I did well in, and immediately looked for reasons why that might have happened. But again, that's also on brand for me so... *shrugs*
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."