Autism Regenerative Centre

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
murmur
Snowbonk

Autism Regenerative Centre

Post by murmur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:41 am

So, I was listening to the Sunday 5pm current affairs slot on R4 last night, a piece about dubious claims for stem cell treatment (The Stem Cell Hard Sell) and to my utter amazement the closing section was about a bunch of shysters claiming that they can treat autism using stem cells...

I eventually picked my jaw off the floor, while listening to Declan Murphy from KCL/Institute of Psychiatry, who is A Man Who Knows, being reduced to stunned silence...

This is complete bollocks and not borne out by anything resembling current research or accepted views in the area, offers false hope and exposes bairns to unnecessary danger (general anaesthetics, invasive procedures and the like are not risk-free).

These are the tw.ts in question. I have already fired off a complaint to the ASA this morning and am about to complain to the CQC. I'm trying to think if there are any other avenues (none of the relevant clinicians appear to be named, which limits any complaining to GMC, NMC, CSP and the rest): the local trading standards office, perhaps?

Anyway, my flabber is well and truly ghasted at the sheer rapacious effrontery and total disregard for people, evidence, professional integrity and, well, anything other than personal financial gain from all involved in this enterprise.

ETA Aaaaaaaah, phooey! I was sure I'd seen a London address for this bunch, but now all I can find is Belgrade or Dubai, which limits my complaining. Keep looking...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

murmur
Snowbonk

Re: Autism Regenerative Centre

Post by murmur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Found an address in Marylebone, so reported to CQC also.

f.ckers!

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Did the BBC sound supportive or sceptical of their claims? Could be the subject of a BBC complaint.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41 pm

Oh, the Beeb were plenty sceptical and had a number of medics laying the boot in.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm
Did the BBC sound supportive or sceptical of their claims? Could be the subject of a BBC complaint.
Not listened yet but this appears to be it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cz1l

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Aye, that's the one: the bit about autism comes toward the end, but the whole programme was good.