Are Social Media "likes" dopamine triggering group think anxiety gadgets?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

Is this a great thread or what?

FIRST!!!
19%
It's a like from me
13%
Retweeted
No votes
Following you based on this alone!
No votes
Share this on LinkedIn to spread your profile
No votes
Ha ha this will trigger the snowflakes!
19%
Like this if your still reading it in 2020
6%
I found this thread helpful
19%
Blocked and reported
25%

Total votes: 16

sheldrake
After Pie

Re: Are Social Media "likes" dopamine triggering group think anxiety gadgets?

Post by sheldrake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm

I have noticed in my own circle that the people who worry most about social media also seem to be the ones who react to things they see on it most strongly, e.g. the people who cross post things between twitter and facebook a lot. Maybe it doesn't bother me so much because I feel more numb to it and have low expectations.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm
I have noticed in my own circle that the people who worry most about social media also seem to be the ones who react to things they see on it most strongly, e.g. the people who cross post things between twitter and facebook a lot. Maybe it doesn't bother me so much because I feel more numb to it and have low expectations.
It seems reasonable that people prone to worrying would also worry more about social media.

I think the interesting question is whether social media provokes increased, or qualitatively different, anxiety compared to other forms of social interaction.

One thing I'd highlight is that social media is in some ways more egalitarian, in that celebrities' and other rich people's views will be mingled in amongst your mum's and your schoolfriends' and whatever. Another is that it's a lot easier to polish or mislead: the couple upstairs post at least once a week about how in love they are, but almost every day they're yelling and screaming and storming up and down the stairs. Yet another thing is the hidden manipulation by algorithms, including machine-learning processes that no human designs or analyses.

There will be studies on all of this, I'm sure.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:19 pm
I go on social media to interact with like minded people. I occasionally follow someone who is outside my social circle - a bit like dipping into the Daily Mail and ultimately they disappoint.
Same here.

The interacting with like-minded people can be seen as 'only interacting within your personal echo chamber', which I'm quite aware of. As a techno-nerd, I actively avoid 'celebrity' stuff as I don't actually care which c-list celeb has dissed a Z-list celeb. This means I miss out on what a lot of people regard as important (if you measure the amount of time they dedicate to it).

To an extent, this forum is an attempt to break free of an echo chamber by exercising critical thinking, evidence-based thinking, and rational debate. There are well-formed views here which challenge my thinking. Which is good.

I don't have a Twitter account, or a Facebook account. I don't use Instagram, or WhatsApp. But social media includes forums, and I am a member of several technically-oriented ones, generally to learn, get support, and where possible, provide support to others. And make inane comments in keeping with the the culture of inanity pertaining to the forum I am posting to.

To a certain extent, we choose our social circle (an the social circle chooses to accept us) due to some commonality of views, so echo chambers don't only exist online. To avoid accusations of only existing in echo chambers, one would need to actively seek out people you dislike and spend time with them. Not many do that. Priests, perhaps?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Politicians do it too.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:16 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm
lpm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm
I've never been anxious and get surprised when people say they have been in tears.
This does not make anyone (well me) like you any the more.
I think that's a bit unfair. I'm anxious as f.ck, but it's no surprise to me that other people aren't. I'm mainly in awe, like, teach me your ways, lpm.

In terms of the thread, yes, I do get anxious and upset, but always have done, so can't blame social media for that.

On the other hand, I speak up more than I used to, and accept that at times it might make me uncomfortable. I don't know if the internet or several years doing customer service made the difference there.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm
To a certain extent, we choose our social circle (an the social circle chooses to accept us) due to some commonality of views, so echo chambers don't only exist online. To avoid accusations of only existing in echo chambers, one would need to actively seek out people you dislike and spend time with them. Not many do that. Priests, perhaps?
It's quite possible to like people who don't share your opinions if, on a deeper level, you think they are basically good people and interesting to talk to.