I may have been scammed

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

I may have been scammed

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:17 am

I was followed on Twitter by an account purporting to be that of Tarran MacKenzie, a BSB rider. I followed him back, then he sent me a private message thanking me for the support. We got into a chat and he offered me some free stuff including a signed jacket and ticket to a round. All I have to do is send my name and number. So I did. I don’t think there’s too much wrong with that, nothing really private about that info. But then I realised that I already follow Tarran MacKenzie on Twitter, and the account name is different. I don’t think I’ll be going deeper into this arrangement unless I get some assurance that the new account is actually the man himself. Feels like I’ve got one foot on a slippery slope.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Nero
Clardic Fug

Re: I may have been scammed

Post by Nero » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am

If you gave out your mobile number be careful about SIM swapping, more details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am

Nero wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am
If you gave out your mobile number be careful about SIM swapping, more details here:

Ah, could be bad, however I don’t think I use my sim for much in that way. Certainly not bank accounts. The only one I can see that might be vulnerable is my PlayStation account. I’ll see what I can do about that.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 am

Grumble wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:17 am
I was followed on Twitter by an account purporting to be that of Tarran MacKenzie, a BSB rider. I followed him back, then he sent me a private message thanking me for the support. We got into a chat and he offered me some free stuff including a signed jacket and ticket to a round. All I have to do is send my name and number. So I did. I don’t think there’s too much wrong with that, nothing really private about that info. But then I realised that I already follow Tarran MacKenzie on Twitter, and the account name is different. I don’t think I’ll be going deeper into this arrangement unless I get some assurance that the new account is actually the man himself. Feels like I’ve got one foot on a slippery slope.
For what it's worth, if you're not already aware there is a report option on Twitter that allows you to report accounts you suspect to be impersonations. I suppose this is one advantage of the blue tick.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am
Nero wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:48 am

Ah, could be bad, however I don’t think I use my sim for much in that way. Certainly not bank accounts. The only one I can see that might be vulnerable is my PlayStation account. I’ll see what I can do about that.
In addition, if it is a scam it could be part of an attempt to get personal info out of you for an identity theft.

For example, classic scam is to impersonate someone and send urgent requests for money to their friends and relatives (eg I’m on holiday, wallet and passport stolen, battery running out and no charger so I have to use text messages, please wire €500 to this account so I can buy a ticket home etc). Someone tried that with a relative. It almost worked.

If so then they may be looking information about you to make a the impersonation seem more realistic. For example, if someone is named Cathleen, do they usually call themselves that, or Cath, Cathy etc.

If you are worried you could send out a quick message alerting people you know that someone may want to impersonate you. I’ve seen a few warnings like that.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 pm

So far as far as I know the only thing they know about me is my name, number, and what’s on Twitter. There is very little on Twitter, and no friends or family. I never imported my contacts or anything like that. I don’t think my email is visible.
discovolante wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 am
there is a report option on Twitter
The report function doesn’t seem to be working at the moment.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 pm

It might be worth contacting your phone company and getting them to put a marker on your file to be suspicious of any request for a transfer of your mobile number to another SIM for at least 3 months or something.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 pm
So far as far as I know the only thing they know about me is my name, number, and what’s on Twitter. There is very little on Twitter, and no friends or family. I never imported my contacts or anything like that. I don’t think my email is visible.
discovolante wrote:
Must be temporary as I've reported quite a lot of bot accounts and stuff. Maybe try again another time? The account might well be doing the same thing to other people.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm

discovolante wrote:
I suppose this is one advantage of the blue tick.
Sadly they don't give out blue* ticks any more, because <reasons> (someone told me once but I forgot), so people who have become famous recently have to rely on their follower count to distinguish them from impersonators. This is especially tough on people who chose a handle that is not "FirstLastname" when they joined, so that the obvious handle has now been taken by a troll. (I suspect this may be at least part of why Donald Trump is @RealDonaldTrump.)

*The tick is not actually blue. It's white on a blue background.
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Grumble wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Ok, if they can’t cross refer other sources to find your friends and family etc you should be all right.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:01 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:31 pm
discovolante wrote:
I suppose this is one advantage of the blue tick.
Sadly they don't give out blue* ticks any more, because <reasons> (someone told me once but I forgot), so people who have become famous recently have to rely on their follower count to distinguish them from impersonators. This is especially tough on people who chose a handle that is not "FirstLastname" when they joined, so that the obvious handle has now been taken by a troll. (I suspect this may be at least part of why Donald Trump is @RealDonaldTrump.)

*The tick is not actually blue. It's white on a blue background.
This seems to be the reason: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standa ... html%3famp

Jack Dorsey is just winging it. That Black Mirror episode probably isn't too far off.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 pm

I think one moral is be careful at all times - my normal sense of caution has hopefully saved me on this occasion from anything worse than embarrassment. The other moral is that social engineering works, especially early on a Sunday morning when you have a mild hangover and have just woken up. I have been taken for a fool, hopefully that’s the last time.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 pm
Grumble wrote:
discovolante wrote:
Ok, if they can’t cross refer other sources to find your friends and family etc you should be all right.
Here’s hoping.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 pm

I think the reason I can’t report it is because it no longer exists. However I’d still like to be able to report the scamming bastard.