After Pie

Lie detectors

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am

Something something hammer something something nail

Seagull
Sindis Poop

Re: Lie detectors

Post by Seagull » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 am

Can someone link me to reliable information about lie detectors/polygraph tests please? I heard this on the news this morning and subsequently seen mention on the BBC News website and was slightly amazed that there was no caveat/comment included about the efficacy of such tests. I didn't think we used lie detectors in the UK but the BBC says they are currently "only used with sex offenders".

Ben B
Stargoon

Post by Ben B » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:45 am

Unless a lot has changed, they are fairly easy to beat, or at least confuse.
wiki wrote: assessments of polygraphy by scientific and government bodies generally suggest that polygraphs are highly inaccurate, may easily be defeated by countermeasures, and are an imperfect or invalid means of assessing truthfulness.[6][7][8] Despite claims of 90% validity by polygraph advocates, the National Research Council has found no evidence of effectiveness.[7][9] The American Psychological Association states "Most psychologists agree that there is little evidence that polygraph tests can accurately detect lies
The first ten million years were the worst.
And the second ten million, they were the worst too.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am

JMFC, as my normally rather proper colleague Carol Nickerson (RIP) would have said. JMFC.

While we can all appreciate the
sentiment Shirley an appeals court closer to home would make more sense.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am

Putting my cynical hat on for a second*, a flurry of half-baked, populist law'n'order reforms is exactly what I would expect if somebody wanted to push the narrative that crime is all fault of the European High Court and associated Human Rights legislation and now post-brexit we can reap the rewards of having left them.

*who am I kidding I've never taken it off
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am

I've played with one. In one of those exploratory places, I think the Bristol one.

Very easy to control. To get a boost, think for a moment of something sexual. To dim the response, do basic mindfulness. I'd be confident in generating a nervous reaction in the control questions, then generating calm reactions during my lies.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:46 am

I saw a bit on the BBC news this morning. Lie detectors and more Imans are the way to go apparently. f.ck me. This is surely some elaborate satire.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Hmm. Can't find it now, but when I read this story earlier on the BBC News website, there was a note to the effect that polygraphs are less than 100pc reliable and their results are not admissible as evidence in an (?)English/British/_ court.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Seagull
Sindis Poop

Post by Seagull » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm

The BBC article I read didn't say anything to that effect. The guardian article did say not admissible in court etc.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm
Hmm. Can't find it now, but when I read this story earlier on the BBC News website, there was a note to the effect that polygraphs are less than 100pc reliable and their results are not admissible as evidence in an (?)English/British/_ court.
I recall it stated 60% but cannot find it now.

General lie detector stuff on BBC
Advocates claim that when carried out by professionals in the right conditions, the accuracy is estimated to be between 80 and 90%.
If a sex offender fails a lie detector test, it is "not conclusive proof that the individual is lying", but it could lead to further investigation or supervision.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Of course the wider context is that it's currently not possible to prevent radical ISIS-inspired angry young men from chopping up our tourist spots, even when we kind of know who they are likely to be.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 pm
Of course the wider context is that it's currently not possible to prevent radical ISIS-inspired angry young men from chopping up our tourist spots, even when we kind of know who they are likely to be.
I think it's very hard to stop these attacks at all unless you want massive state surveillance.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:32 pm

We didn't used to have them, and presumably we won't at some point in the future, so they aren't inevitable in that sense. We already have lots of mass surveillance and that doesn't appear to be working.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Not working? The rate has fallen sharply in the last 3/4 years.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:51 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 pm
Not working? The rate has fallen sharply in the last 3/4 years.
There were not that many to start off with. These are highly publicised but rarely occurring events.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm

I think this is a very difficult thing to get right.

It's probably impossible to test whether one one has been de-radicalised as one is probably not going to admit to still wanting to kill the infidel. Could lie detectors help even with their dodgy reliability?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am
Putting my cynical hat on for a second*, a flurry of half-baked, populist law'n'order reforms is exactly what I would expect if somebody wanted to push the narrative that crime is all fault of the European High Court and associated Human Rights legislation and now post-brexit we can reap the rewards of having left them.
I'm not sure how much of the above is ironic, so for clarity:
- The UK is not leaving the European Convention on Human Rights, membership of which is part of its obligations as a member of the Council of Europe, a 47-state body based in Strasbourg where the 12-star European flag was invented.
- The UK will continue to be subject to the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. Theresa May wanted to get out of this when she was Home Secretary, but it would have been impossible while Britain was in the EU and will probably be very difficult to contemplate until Brexit is fully digested.
- The European Court of Justice, whose jurisdiction the UK might be leaving depending on the shape of a final settlement, deals with the application of EU law and as such has very little involvement in human rights issues.

A large subset of Leave voters are going to go full Hulk when the UK loses its first judgement at the ECtHR after Brexit and they discover that the main reason that many of them voted Leave ("Yooman rights? What about the victim's yooman rights? Tommy is right, hang the Muslim paedos!") was never on the table.
Last edited by sTeamTraen on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm

cvb wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 pm
It's probably impossible to test whether one one has been de-radicalised as one is probably not going to admit to still wanting to kill the infidel. Could lie detectors help even with their dodgy reliability?
It's even simpler than that. Just ask yourself, who makes these machines? I'm guessing that you can't buy one from Philips Medical Equipment or Siemens Life Sciences or General Electric, all of whom also do not make homeopathy dilution equipment or hospital-grade tinfoil hats. What peer-reviewed psychophysics principles are they based on?

Similarly, who is giving the training to the operators? There are apparently a few people with PhDs who believe in them, but basically it's not far above those machines that detect "geopathic stress". I believe the Scientologists basically use the same technology in their whatever-its-called machinery that detects if you are an Operating System Kretan Level 42 or something.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:46 pm

I’d imagine that, psychologically and physiologically, it’s easier to lie to the infidel. Perhaps they’ll train imans to operate them.

OneOffDave
Clardic Fug

Post by OneOffDave » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:33 pm

It also depends how the question is asked. From a certain viewpoint it would be possible to answer the question "are you thinking of murdering people?" with a "no" if you see the killing as part of some holy work or self defence. This was the logic behind the "not guilty" plea to murder of the individuals who killed Lee Rigby

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:44 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:59 pm
Little waster wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am
I'm not sure how much of the above is ironic, so for clarity:
- The UK is not leaving the European Convention on Human Rights, membership of which is part of its obligations as a member of the Council of Europe, a 47-state body based in Strasbourg where the 12-star European flag was invented.
- The UK will continue to be subject to the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. Theresa May wanted to get out of this when she was Home Secretary, but it would have been impossible while Britain was in the EU and will probably be very difficult to contemplate until Brexit is fully digested.
- The European Court of Justice, whose jurisdiction the UK might be leaving depending on the shape of a final settlement, deals with the application of EU law and as such has very little involvement in human rights issues.

A large subset of Leave voters are going to go full Hulk when the UK loses its first judgement at the ECtHR after Brexit and they discover that the main reason that many of them voted Leave ("Yooman rights? What about the victim's yooman rights? Tommy is right, hang the Muslim paedos!") was never on the table.
There can only ever be imaginary freedoms from imaginary oppression.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:44 pm
At that point, the UK leaves the ECHR. They've been muttering about repealing/replacing the Human Rights Act for some time. And their new angry northerner supporters will be delighted.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:46 pm
I’d imagine that, psychologically and physiologically, it’s easier to lie to the infidel. Perhaps they’ll train imans to operate them.
For some* followers of Islam, especially if they firmly believe they are participants in a jihad against 'westerners', the ideas around Taqiyya and Tawriya might make it psychologically easier to lie to interrogators. Note that these concepts are controversial, and I have tried to link to relatively impartial descriptions.

My understanding of the theory of lie detectors is that they enable a trained user to interpret certain physiological signs as evidence of psychological stress, such as stress of maintaining an untruth. Lie detector/polygraph operators claim to be able to detect psychopaths in lies to a higt degree of certainty - so it may well be that lie detector/polygraph operators will claim that recidivist terrorists can be detected.

*which may be a vanishingly small 'some', but still non-zero. Most, if not all, human populations have extreme outliers who cause problems for the mainstream.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:08 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm
And their new angry northerner supporters will be delighted.
Did you have anything against angry northerners when they voted labour?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:33 pm

This just in from a UK-based senior psychologist friend:
... the lie detector program was approved and developed by well-informed psychologists including some of my colleagues. It's a bogus pipeline - they are using the lie detector to get more truthful self-reports (The Wire, S5E1). Of course they cannot widely publicise this, so it looks like they are using pseudoscience.

... the bogus pipeline is where people are more truthful when they *think* they are hooked up to an effective lie detector so that is what this UK "lie detector" programme is about but they can't let it be widely known that the lie detector is no more effective per se than the wired-up photocopier the police use to extract a confession in that episode of the wire

... they are not trying to fool other professionals, just the people subjected to the tests
So it will work fabulously well until the prison grapevine or the jihadi video networks tell people "BTW it's all fake, just don't crack and confess because you're impressed by the scary machine".