Are you deviant?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Re: Are you deviant?

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 pm

cvb wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 pm
Just to point out that in law you are not married until you sign the marriage certificate which is not a religious thing.

The sky fairy bit counts for nothing.
Suppose it depends on which bit you care more about; the contract bit where you become a single entity for tax purposes or the sky fairy not smiting you for shagging.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm

As requested, I've split the Islam discussion into another thread.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 pm
cvb wrote:
Just to point out that in law you are not married until you sign the marriage certificate which is not a religious thing.

Suppose it depends on which bit you care more about; the contract bit where you become a single entity for tax purposes or the sky fairy not smiting you for shagging.
MrsBJN only married me for tax purposes. Romance isn’t dead!

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:59 pm
cvb wrote:

We did the full on sky fairy bit for the pleasure of various family members who expected it. I looked upon it as a bit of theatre which was part of a celebration and chose to enjoy it and not dwell on anachronistic/BS words being said.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Apparently the only reason we got married because we'd run out of crockery (Mrs V).

We somehow got railroaded into a church wedding against my wishes. We had the chat about the sanctity of marriage and stuff, the vicar was abit sniffy about the fact we'd lived together for so long anyway. Long story short, he was unable to officiate at our wedding because he'd been caught having an affair with the verger or some such. All over the NoTW at the time, but my new father in law made it into a cracking speech.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:50 pm

veravista wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Long story short, he was unable to officiate at our wedding because he'd been caught having an affair with the verger or some such.

You are Captain Mainwaring, aicmfp
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I had a Catholic wedding because of family.

I even had to take the eucharist as at the last minute the priest who understand I was an atheist dropped out and another priest was substituted and we didn't want to take a chance that he wouldn't wed us.

My dad had a Catholic funeral as he was a believer to the end. I think even did a reading

These didn't annoy me

However I go to two memorial masses each year and these are just normal masses and generally speaking the most of it is just made up sh.t that doesn't worry me. The homily however has a good chance of making me lived. One in particular was basically a priest saying that you shouldn't give the Catholic church a hard time about child abuse as most of the priests didn't do anything. I nearly had to leave as it annoyed me that much. I may stop going to these.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm

(a) It's deceitful to stand in front of a roomful of people and effectively lie. No way is it ethical.

(b) Involving yourself with these scummy organisations is an endorsement of their beliefs and their actions. No way is it ethical.

Principles should become before pragmatism, particularly in something like the celebration of love.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm
(a) It's deceitful to stand in front of a roomful of people and effectively lie. No way is it ethical.

(b) Involving yourself with these scummy organisations is an endorsement of their beliefs and their actions. No way is it ethical.

Principles should become before pragmatism, particularly in something like the celebration of love.
Jeremy Corbyn stands firmly behind you on that last point
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:17 pm

lpm wrote:

Except it's often not pragmatism, but a love for other members of one's families. This is especially the case with funerals.
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Jeremy Corbyn stands firmly behind you on that last point
Nicely done
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:47 am

lpm wrote:

Okay my mum can just bury my dad without me there. That sounds both principled and sh.tty.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am

cvb wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:47 am
lpm wrote:

Okay my mum can just bury my dad without me there. That sounds both principled and sh.tty.
Especially for a wedding
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:32 am

I would go to a church to see that.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:02 pm

lpm wrote:
Moderate-church-Jesus is like Santa for adults. Dont spoil it for them.