Rammed down our throats

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Grumble
Light of Blast

Rammed down our throats

Post by Grumble » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Today we had a “Pride Ally Coffee Morning” thing. Essentially there were a few cakes provided and some leaflets about how to be an ally to LGBT+ colleagues. It was straightforward fairly anodyne stuff. One older gent asked why this was “being rammed down our throats?” Given that there was no requirement to go along or take a cake in the first place this seems a slight overreaction. I’m not sure how less offensive it could have been tbh, apart from the gays not existing in the first place of course.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

jimbob
Light of Blast

Re: Rammed down our throats

Post by jimbob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:28 pm

I think maybe the implication was that "pride" should be renamed "shame"?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm

Yeah, it sounds like he answered his own question there.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am

Was this perhaps an attempt at "humour" with an oral sex reference? :roll:

I tend to give older low-level homophobes a bit of leeway. Many of them grew up when male homosexuality was illegal, and it's only a short generation since Larry Grayson was the closest many of them knowingly got to a gay person. The intergenerational correlation of religion shows how hard it can be for people to change attitudes that they probably got from their parents.
Something something hammer something something nail

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:31 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am

I tend to give older low-level homophobes a bit of leeway. Many of them grew up when male homosexuality was illegal, and it's only a short generation since Larry Grayson was the closest many of them knowingly got to a gay person. The intergenerational correlation of religion shows how hard it can be for people to change attitudes that they probably got from their parents.
It wasn’t an attempt at humour no, it was really quite grumpy. I didn’t engage with that comment. I did engage with a discussion about why they might need allies in a way that straight people don’t.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:28 am

Lets face it, some people will do anything for cake.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 am

greyspoke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:28 am
Lets face it, some people will do anything for cake.
I’ll be anyone’s ally for a cream filling.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:

It doesn't sound like this particular homophobe deserves any leeway. Since he's still working he is likely under 65 - ie the age of people like me and my friends, none of whom are homophobic.

He doesn't get a pass on background either - I grew up in rural North Yorkshire which in the 60s and 70s was, shall we say, a little backwards in such matters.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:53 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:

It doesn't sound like this particular homophobe deserves any leeway. Since he's still working he is likely under 65 - ie the age of people like me and my friends, none of whom are homophobic.

He doesn't get a pass on background either - I grew up in rural North Yorkshire which in the 60s and 70s was, shall we say, a little backwards in such matters.
Oh, definitely this!

The guy must be around my age, so most of his growing up would be AFTER 1967...One is not too old to change views on matters; most people just don't think and don't bother to change.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Some people of a certain mentality seem to actively seek out things like this, just so they can toss off
a letter of complaint.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:10 pm

I don’t want to give away too much personal information, but he’s older than 65.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Fair enough, but 1967 is still over 50 years ago...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:07 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:31 am
sTeamTraen wrote:

It wasn’t an attempt at humour no, it was really quite grumpy. I didn’t engage with that comment. I did engage with a discussion about why they might need allies in a way that straight people don’t.
Dr Freud might have had something to say.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:35 am

"Who is this artist Rorschach, and why does he keep painting pictures of my parents fighting?"
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:53 am

The Onion once wrote something (which you can understand why I won't try to google) called "Why do these homosexuals keep sucking my dick?" or similar.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk