Squeak
Catbabel

Re: Pockets for women

Post by Squeak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:23 pm

nefibach wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:29 pm
Squeak wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:03 am
As a woman of taller than standard size I now buy almost all of my clothes online from one of two shops, my favourite of which (eshakti, for those of you who like pockets and clothes that fit) makes clothes to order, almost all of which come with pockets.
Apologies for the derail, but I've been tempted by eshakti, but I have seen so many bad reviews. How have you found them?
Really, really good. Ahem. Rant/sales pitch ahead.

I mostly stick to their cotton fabrics (both the poplin and jersey seem to be good quality) as their synthetics are quite plasticky. And I always pay the extra $10 to get things made specifically to my size. Some of their dresses have ridiculous amounts of fabric in them - the kinds of cuts that mainstream sellers are too stingy to make. Almost everything has pockets and all the dresses have bra strap keepers - those sort of little touches that suggest they've actually thought about things. Importantly, their measurements include vertical distances as well as widths so they can cater for short or long bodies - their trousers come all the way up to my waist and things that are meant to gather under my bust don't cut my boobs in half. Revolutionary.

Calliope is close to a foot shorter than me so she has the opposite problem with usual shops and she loves eshakti as much as I do.

Everything I've bought has fitted and I get random strangers commenting on my lovely dresses. I've got things of theirs that I've worn a couple of days a week for a couple of years without obvious signs of wear. They once screwed up and sent me entirely the wrong dress and promptly sent me what I'd ordered without asking me to even send back the wrong dress, which I handed on to a friend.

Their website says all the right things about treating their workers well, so at the very least they're pretending/attempting to be ethical and you get a little cards with your clothes giving the names of the people who made your clothes so you can personally thank them/provide feedback should you want to.

They're not exactly cheap but they have very frequent sales so I wait for one of them before ordering anything. And they don't send me a million marketing emails. The one downside is that they have so many styles you can spend a lot of time filtering through vast numbers of things that are not to your taste.

Oh yes, and the cat hates my collection of fabulous maxi dresses and flowing jumpsuits that whoosh past her face in our narrow hallway. :twisted:

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm
Squeak wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:03 am
For women's outdoor gear, there's some weird assumption that outdoorsy women are short and definitely never plus-sized. I can't imagine that I'm the only woman who's more than a size 14 who likes being active? They've long been far worse on this front than ordinary clothes brands.
Ugh, tell me about it. It is now a lot easier to get 16+ size running/exercise kit than it used to be but I get the impression the same change hasn't happened so much with general outdoorsy clothing.
Running kit is now ok. And the trend for high waisted leggings means I now get some mid-rise ones, which is nice.

But, yep, raincoats and hiking pants remain impossible. I want to be able keep my wrists dry and not have my arms pinned to my side. So I have to buy men's raincoats. But they assume that all men have skinny hips and so want a triangular jacket. I have been looking for a decent hiking raincoat for about 20 years now.

At least I can replace hiking pants with running leggings, so long as I don't want to use any pockets. :evil:

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 am

Here's a lovely bit of data visualisation on jeans pockets they my brother-in-law just sent me...

https://pudding.cool/2018/08/pockets/

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm

nefibach wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:26 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:42 pm
If you want pockets, get a cardie or a hoodie. Putting too much in pockets is a good way to damage them anyway.
I want good pockets in my coats, jackets and trousers, mostly. And it shouldn't be a contentious ask, frankly.
Oh I agree absolutely. If you're going to have pockets at all, they should be functional ones. The admonishment to stand up straight and take your hands out of your pockets cuts no ice with me. The skirt I'm wearing today doesn't have any and that's fine, it would spoil the design.

EllyCat
Buzzberry

Post by EllyCat » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Squeak wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm
But, yep, raincoats and hiking pants remain impossible. I want to be able keep my wrists dry and not have my arms pinned to my side. So I have to buy men's raincoats. But they assume that all men have skinny hips and so want a triangular jacket. I have been looking for a decent hiking raincoat for about 20 years now.
Are you anywhere near a chandlery or similar where you could try a sailing jacket? They don’t go up past what I’d rate as a UK 16-18 (so too small for me currently) but they are IME a decent length, they have many practical pockets including zips and fleece lined ones and critically they have long sleeves with plenty of shoulder room, in theory for hauling in sheets but also useful for moving freely (read: manhandling toddlers) with F-cup boobs. Maybe worth a look?

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 am

EllyCat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm
Squeak wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm
Ooh! There's one near work. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Are you anywhere near a chandlery or similar where you could try a sailing jacket? They don’t go up past what I’d rate as a UK 16-18 (so too small for me currently) but they are IME a decent length, they have many practical pockets including zips and fleece lined ones and critically they have long sleeves with plenty of shoulder room, in theory for hauling in sheets but also useful for moving freely (read: manhandling toddlers) with F-cup boobs. Maybe worth a look?