Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: Is life in London terrible?

Post by Gfamily » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:37 pm
At uni, and during first few years of working, I had 2 years living in Gower St accommodation, and other years in Hendon, Neasden and Southgate.

Living in Central London as a student* was great, and recent visits to take part in Anti-Brexit marches has reminded me how beautiful and humane so much of it is as an urban environment.
The suburbs often less so.

* late 70s to early 80s
Were you at UCL? I was and spent a summer in the Gower Street accomodation. It was pretty scruffy but a great location. Later on, I lived for 20 years near there and loved it.

There are few places better if you have 'alternative' interests.
Yes. It was a great community, and I was lucky to be in the generation that could get 1st and 3rd years there.
The Mortimer was our pub.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:19 pm
... If we could just be nearer the coast...
Yep, ddb always wanted to live by the sea, that's why we are where we are. We couldn't be closer. Mind you, she'd still prefer a city by the sea. One of the reasons we're in North Beach, Miami right now. It's tough being a vegetarian in this bit of town though. Vegan? Forget about it. Unless you want a constant diet of Beyond/Impossible burgers. :D
Time for a big fat one.

plebian

Post by plebian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:27 pm

I think Manchester would be the happy medium of gay density, city life and transport links with cost of living.

Brexit will decide whether I decamp to Utrecht or not, though having spent a week in Seattle, I'm considering selling my soul to our lord Bezosbub and moving here. The gays are so very friendly I may need gastrointestinal surgery when I get home.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 pm

I moved down to London in the early 1980s, moved out to commuter belt near to the western end of the Metropolitan Line in the mid ‘90s. It’s a happy medium for me, close enough to work in the west end and enjoy what’s in the middle of the city when I want but I’m not stuck there when I tire of the bad air quality, noise and traffic.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am

individualmember wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 pm
I moved down to London in the early 1980s, moved out to commuter belt near to the western end of the Metropolitan Line in the mid ‘90s. It’s a happy medium for me, close enough to work in the west end and enjoy what’s in the middle of the city when I want but I’m not stuck there when I tire of the bad air quality, noise and traffic.
Yes, air quality is an issue here. I noticed a big difference when I moved from just off Tottenham Court Road up to Camden and that's just the observable effects. It's really bad on the Tube; I mostly travel by bus and shanks pony.

There is still a village mentality in London to a certain extent. There are areas I never go to (I don't know West London at all) and I feel at home in this part of North London. I know a couple of people who were born in this area and still live here but that's less common now except among the older ones. I've noticed a lot of old Irish people live round here. Camden/Kentish Town used to be a big Irish area and there is still a massive Catholic Church just up the road with a priory attached. That adds to the community feel for me. When I moved into this block just over a year ago I made a point of saying hello to people and getting to know the neighbours a bit as I did in my last place.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am

I've lived in London for 37 years, 36 of them south of the river. I'm fortunate in that I bought my first flat in the early 90s property crash and my mortgage is now paid off. London definitely needs another property crash to make prices more affordable for younger people. On the plus side public transport is good and pretty much anything you might want in terms of culture is a short train ride away. The air is foul though - no getting round that.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm

JQH wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am
I've lived in London for 37 years, 36 of them south of the river. I'm fortunate in that I bought my first flat in the early 90s property crash and my mortgage is now paid off. London definitely needs another property crash to make prices more affordable for younger people. On the plus side public transport is good and pretty much anything you might want in terms of culture is a short train ride away. The air is foul though - no getting round that.
Did you see the light after a year, or are you a recent traitor ?

I think South London is great but then ive got equity and local knowledge.

I genuinely love mid-central south london and will shank anyone who disagrees. Of course I pity the poor sods in Mitcham or Catford or Croydon.
Last edited by noggins on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 pm

The former
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:37 pm

So whats your favorite Fake-Morleys name ?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm

I don't understand the question.

Fintan O'Toole

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm

JQH wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm
this might help http://www.fakemorleys.com/
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 am

noggins wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm
JQH wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am
Did you see the light after a year, or are you a recent traitor ?

I think South London is great but then ive got equity and local knowledge.

I genuinely love mid-central south london and will shank anyone who disagrees. Of course I pity the poor sods in Mitcham or Catford or Croydon.
<Black cabbies voice>
Goin' sarf of the river this time of night? Yur 'avin' a laugh
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 am

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am
individualmember wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:38 pm
Yes, air quality is an issue here. I noticed a big difference when I moved from just off Tottenham Court Road up to Camden and that's just the observable effects. It's really bad on the Tube; I mostly travel by bus and shanks pony.

There is still a village mentality in London to a certain extent. There are areas I never go to (I don't know West London at all) and I feel at home in this part of North London. I know a couple of people who were born in this area and still live here but that's less common now except among the older ones. I've noticed a lot of old Irish people live round here. Camden/Kentish Town used to be a big Irish area and there is still a massive Catholic Church just up the road with a priory attached. That adds to the community feel for me. When I moved into this block just over a year ago I made a point of saying hello to people and getting to know the neighbours a bit as I did in my last place.
In the early-mid 80's, I used to get the tube to Camden Town and then walk up Camden Road to the ASTMS/MSF Union head office.
In those days, the mews type houses down some of the side streets looked as if you could pick one up for just a few thousand £ - they looked so delapidated. I bet they are worth a 7 figure sum, now

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 am
<Black cabbies voice>
Bit racist, eh? ;)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 am

Stephanie wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm
JQH wrote:
Cheers. I don't eat at Morleys so I didn't realise fake Morleys was a thing.

Fintan O'Toole

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:30 am

Martin_B wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 am
Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:36 am
<The TX4 cabbies voice>
Bit racist, eh? ;)

fify :)

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:20 am

JQH wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:28 am
Stephanie wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm
JQH wrote:
Cheers. I don't eat at Morleys so I didn't realise fake Morleys was a thing.
I dont eat at Morleys either, but im just tickled by specific band of IP worth which makes Morleys valuable enough to copy but not quite valuable enough to protect.

Also this flace is pantastic