Elgin Marbles

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

What do you think of Elgin Marbles?

Liked that song of his, the acoustic guitar one
4%
Was she the quirky side kick in Midsummer Murders or some detective show like that?
No votes
That's the technical name for those marbles with swirly bits inside
4%
Sounds familiar, which series of Love Island was he on?
No votes
Just some stones carved a bit
20%
If they'd really wanted them, they wouldn't have let us nick 'em
12%
Foreigners wouldn't be able to look after them properly
No votes
Sorry, Greece, but we've given them to the Faroe Islands in return for tariff free access to their jam market
60%

Total votes: 25

lpm
Junior Mod

Elgin Marbles

Post by lpm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Just give them back. Nobody in the country cares, except liberal metropolitan elites. Only foreigners ever go to a so-called "museum" to see them.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Elgin Marbles

Post by dyqik » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:45 pm

As someone else here had said on Twitter, it's now trivial to 3d scan and reproduce them so they'd pass any basic museum visit.

And to use that as a base to replace the heads and paint them in the bright colors they'd have originally been painted in.

Same goes forvmany other museum exhibits - statues or dinosaur bones, for example, often are plaster casts already.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Oooh A project for D&T/art pupils - draw your version of the Elgin Marbles and print them on the 3D printer
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:16 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:45 pm
As someone else here had said on Twitter, it's now trivial to 3d scan and reproduce them so they'd pass any basic museum visit.

And to use that as a base to replace the heads and paint them in the bright colors they'd have originally been painted in.

Same goes forvmany other museum exhibits - statues or dinosaur bones, for example, often are plaster casts already.
There's already copies knocking about. I saw a set in Nashville in the copy of the Parthenon they have there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_(Nashville)

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:17 pm

I think they should scan the marbles (which I feel almost sure they must have done already) then return the originals and display the copies. And do that for all the contested items. The British Museum should lead the way on repatriation of artefacts that were stolen or dubiously procured. There is no good reason for us to hold onto these things. There's definitely an argument to be made that collections should be split to protect them should anything befall the museum (the fossils I work with for my PhD are split across several museums around the world for this reason) but that should be a dialogue with the home country, not a unilateral 'we "bought" this 300 years ago so it's ours now'.

I really think that for western museums to continue to be a place of relevance they need to directly and honestly address the consequences of the 'age of exploration' and the empire. Why do we think it's ok to display skeletons and mummies? Why do we think it's ok to claim ownership of items that are sacred to the people whose ancestors made them? I love museums and have learned so much from them but it's increasingly clear that there is a refusal to acknowledge the darker sides of their collections. Even the origin of the British Museum is inextricably tied to the slave trade yet you'd barely know it at the museum.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Oooh A project for D&T/art pupils - draw your version of the Elgin Marbles and print them on the 3D printer
Wrong, no one makes anything in DT now. Draw a 3D version of the Elgin Marbles and show that they could be printed.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

They're rubbish not worth parthenon.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Give them back you thieving f.ckers, and the rest of artefacts stolen during the empire.

You obviously won't but you should.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:53 pm

An act of parliament would be needed, as there's a law to prevent repatriation of museum artefacts.

cba to Google details
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm
Gentleman Jim wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Wrong, no one makes anything in DT now. Draw a 3D version of the Elgin Marbles and show that they could be printed.
Hey, I've made several things in DT over the last couple of years - oh.......................
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:23 pm

dyqik wrote:

Dippy, for example. Although that's now a cast which is important in its own right as an artefact.

I was at a conference dinner in the National Museum of Wales, whilst it was there, and no red wine was allowed.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:16 pm
dyqik wrote:

There's already copies knocking about. I saw a set in Nashville in the copy of the Parthenon they have there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_(Nashville)
Been there. Nashville was a much more likeable city than I was expecting. It helped that we met the wife of either the mayor or some other bigwig who took us on a tour and then offered her car and chauffeur for the day in case there was anything else we wanted to see.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 am

cvb wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm
Give them back you thieving f.ckers, and the rest of artefacts stolen during the empire.

f.ck all to do with the British Empire. We bought them off the Ottoman Empire. Whether they were entitled to sell them is the question but we didn’t steal them.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:08 am

Grumble wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 am
cvb wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm

f.ck all to do with the British Empire. We bought them off the Ottoman Empire. Whether they were entitled to sell them is the question but we didn’t steal them.

Nothing dodgy there then.

nefibach
Sindis Poop

Post by nefibach » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 pm

dyqik wrote:

You'll be wanting the world expert on how they were originally painted, then, to come up with the colour schemes.

Get your sunglasses on before you click.

https://buntegoetter.liebieghaus.de/en/

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:11 am

nefibach wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 pm
dyqik wrote:

You'll be wanting the world expert on how they were originally painted, then, to come up with the colour schemes.

Really interesting, thanks nefibach.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Allo V Psycho
Catbabel

Post by Allo V Psycho » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am

nefibach wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 pm
dyqik wrote:

Fascinating, thanks, nefibach.

nefibach
Sindis Poop

Post by nefibach » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:27 pm

You're both welcome! :D

plebian

Post by plebian » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 pm

That is a super site and program. Thanks

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:50 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wish they'd repaint Ely Cathedral in its original colours. That would be awesome.

The Ashmolean had a couple of casts painted in original colours last time we wandered through the statuary bit. They was very pretty, especially this guy: https://frieze.com/article/polychrome-r ... rta-statue

Also, I thought the Pitt Rivers, which is basically stuffed with artefacts from other cultures, handled it pretty well when someone pointed out they'd got hold of things they shouldn't really have: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -artefacts

Pitt Rivers is really interesting. I was really surprised that they had a couple of Hawai'ian cloaks in there. Did not expect to see those in the UK. (They'd been given as gifts I think.)

Edited for crap typing. Again.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am

I love the Pitt Rivers as well though I haven't been there for ages. I always imagined Rivers himself to be a swashbuckling cowboy, hence the saying "nobody crosses Pitt Rivers and lives".

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:59 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am
I love the Pitt Rivers as well though I haven't been there for ages. I always imagined Rivers himself to be a swashbuckling cowboy, hence the saying "nobody crosses Pitt Rivers and lives".
"You can't cross the same Pitt Rivers twice."

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 pm

I think we should give them back - they can pay the shipping costs though!
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:35 am

Just tell the Greek government they can collect and make their own arrangements for transportation.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:34 pm

We could just leave a card saying we tried to deliver it but no one was home.