Ethics in science

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Ethics in science

Post by Fishnut » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm

I'm currently watching Three Identical Strangers on All4 and that combined with the recent eugenics discussion has got me thinking a lot about ethics in science and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on books or articles to read on the subject? I'm after more of a fundamental "why we need ethics in science and how we decide what those ethics should look like" rather than ethical guidelines from particular institutions.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

warumich
Fuzzable

Re: Ethics in science

Post by warumich » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 am

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm
I'm currently watching Three Identical Strangers on All4 and that combined with the recent eugenics discussion has got me thinking a lot about ethics in science and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on books or articles to read on the subject? I'm after more of a fundamental "why we need ethics in science and how we decide what those ethics should look like" rather than ethical guidelines from particular institutions.

Not sure if this fits what you're after, but a philosopher friend of mine from UT Dallas has written a book about morals and values in science. It's open access so worth downloading and giving it a try. He did at least try to write it in a manner accessible for non-philosophers (i.e scientists and science policy people). Also the jammy bastard somehow managed to get Kim Stanley Robinson to write the foreword.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am

warumich wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:24 am
Fishnut wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm

Not sure if this fits what you're after, but a philosopher friend of mine from UT Dallas has written a book about morals and values in science. It's open access so worth downloading and giving it a try. He did at least try to write it in a manner accessible for non-philosophers (i.e scientists and science policy people). Also the jammy bastard somehow managed to get Kim Stanley Robinson to write the foreword.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y
That looks perfect! Thank you :D
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Yes, thanks warumich - I've downloaded it and look forward to having a read.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.