Harvey Weinstein is a rapist

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Harvey Weinstein is a rapist

Post by Fishnut » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Harvey Weinstein has been found guilty of rape. I didn't follow the case that closely, though I have listened to Ronan Farrow's excellent podcast Catch and Kill. It goes to show just how used to people getting away with this stuff that even with such incontrovertible evidence I was still expecting him to be found not guilty. The case is setting precedents in more than one way,
The guilty verdict could also have a profound impact on the way sex crimes are prosecuted. The New York district attorney’s office took an enormous gamble in how they set up the trial.

Prosecutors chose as main accusers two women, both of whom continued to have close – and at times sexual – contact with Weinstein after they were attacked. In the past, prosecutors have almost always balked at such cases where coerced and consensual sex exists side-by-side, considering them too messy to secure guilty verdicts.

The fact that the tactic succeeded with the jury is a sign of the shifting sands of #MeToo. It suggests that prosecutors might have far more leeway in future to take on cases where victims continue to be in the thrall of their attackers after sexual assaults – a scenario which sex crimes experts say is all too common and yet up til now has been almost entirely neglected by the criminal courts.

As psychiatrist Barbara Ziv told the jury in expert testimony, “it is the norm to have contact with the assailant.”
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Re: Harvey Weinstein is a rapist

Post by Sciolus » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 pm

A step forward, but still a way to go.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:33 pm

f.cking hell.

The response from the Judiciary is really not good enough. It feels very dismissive given the magnitude of the harm being done.
"The enhanced training will be delivered - initially electronically - from May 2020 and from then on will be included in every continuation training course for the Family judiciary.'
And what about cases being heard before May? Are they just expected to face clueless judges?

rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Post by rockdoctor » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:06 pm

My feeling was that the case was suited for breaking this new ground because Weinstein is fairly unambiguously physically unattractive, and there was a large age, money and power disparity between him and the women.

It just seems hugely implausible that a relatively young and attractive woman would have sex with him without either coercion or bribery.
You end up asking whether rape or inducement is the case, for each charge.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm

I had completely the opposite thought - that the idea of the 'casting couch' is as old (probably older) as Hollywood and everyone would just say that the women slept with him willingly in order to advance their careers, so that both parties gained: Weinstein got to have sex with lots of young attractive women and they got to get jobs in films. The idea that women will sleep their way to the top is so pervasive that I honestly thought that the argument would win out, despite it being bollocks.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm
I had completely the opposite thought - that the idea of the 'casting couch' is as old (probably older) as Hollywood and everyone would just say that the women slept with him willingly in order to advance their careers, so that both parties gained: Weinstein got to have sex with lots of young attractive women and they got to get jobs in films. The idea that women will sleep their way to the top is so pervasive that I honestly thought that the argument would win out, despite it being bollocks.
Yup. And expect far more to come out now he's been found guilty.

I do wonder if Bill Cosby's conviction helped.

Of course NDAs for illegal acts should be rendered void.

NDAs have their place in commercial negotiations, but not as part of damages settlements.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Roll on Los Angeles...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:29 am

I reckon there'll be an epidemic of brown trousers in Los Angeles pretty soon.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Laura Hoyano, in the Guardian, stresses the importance of distinguishing between the US and UK criminal justice systems.
Laura Hoyano wrote:"I’m very keen that complainants are not deterred from coming forward on misunderstandings from the Weinstein case,” she said. “It’s very important for British women to understand that no rape trial across the UK would proceed in the same way as in any state in the US.
Hoyano is definitely worth paying attention to. She is a significant figure in legal academe, and her research helped shape the Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act, whose provisions are one of the main reasons why UK and US law is different in this respect (at least as far as the Criminal Courts are concerned - the case that Sciolus mentioned is from the Family Court which is a different and possibly murkier kettle of fish). She is also the author of a recent survey of the effectiveness of the provisions introduced the the YJCEA (executive summary here, full text on her author page , numbers probably need to be treated with some caution because the study is not based on a probability sample).
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Your link is borked. It's fixed here.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:31 pm

Thanks
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:20 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:37 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm
Yup. And expect far more to come out now he's been found guilty.

I do wonder if Bill Cosby's conviction helped.

Of course NDAs for illegal acts should be rendered void.

NDAs have their place in commercial negotiations, but not as part of damages settlements.
Problem is, if you want to settle a civil claim involving harrassment, pretty much the only way to find any middle ground is for both sides to promise to shut up about it, with our without a carefully worded statement that they must stick to. Otherwise you are just going to roll on to a trail, or one side will blink (and that will not necessarily be the more blameworthy party). It is a difficult problem.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm

23 years.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Post by rockdoctor » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm

What is "23 years" in US prison sentence years?
In UK prison sentence years it would be 11.5

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Isn't there still some pending LA litigation? I don't think he'll get out alive. Save a Presidential pardon.
Time for a big fat one.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 pm

How long before he tops himself?
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

philip
Bank Butt

Post by philip » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 pm

rockdoctor wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm
What is "23 years" in US prison sentence years?
It varies by state, in this case (NY) I believe it is 6/7ths before being considered for parole.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Opti wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:45 pm
Isn't there still some pending LA litigation? I don't think he'll get out alive. Save a Presidential pardon.
Presidential pardon only applies to federal cases. I think this conviction is under NY state law.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:08 pm

That's good to know.
Time for a big fat one.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm

AMS wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:04 pm
Opti wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:45 pm
Presidential pardon only applies to federal cases. I think this conviction is under NY state law.
It is. And the California case is under California state law, so he's need to be pardoned by governors of both states.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:43 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 pm
How long before he tops himself?
Well, if he's anything like Epstein Spoiler:
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.