India riots

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
greyspoke
Fuzzable

India riots

Post by greyspoke » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:59 am

Has Modi got more than he bargained for with his pro-Hindu stance, or is this intended?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-51639856

If it really kicks off, it doesn't bear thinking about. We just got back from holiday in India last night, the security at the airport and hotel was very thorough, hence the particular interest.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: India riots

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 pm

I mean given what Modi has been overseeing in Kashmir he's already crossed from "pro-Hindu stance" into "anti-Muslim violence" and this is just more of the same.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 am

Modi is Hindu Hitler.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 pm
I mean given what Modi has been overseeing in Kashmir he's already crossed from "pro-Hindu stance" into "anti-Muslim violence" and this is just more of the same.
Well I for one am sure he is horrified. How could he have possibly foreseen that violence might occur.

The UK taking a strong stance as usual as well. I estimate about 200,000 Muslims of Indian descent in the UK, is that about right or am I way off?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Well I for one am sure he is horrified. How could he have possibly foreseen that violence might occur.

The UK taking a strong stance as usual as well. I estimate about 200,000 Muslims of Indian descent in the UK, is that about right or am I way off?
This page: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Indians) talks about 1.45 million British Indians and mentions that 14% are Muslim. 14% of 1.45 million is 203,000! (Is this where you got the number from?)

But this Wiki page: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... #Ethnicity) confirms the 1.45 million of Indian ethnicity, but also mentions 1.2 million of Pakistani ethnicity and nearly 0.5 million of Bangladeshi ethnicity. If you are counting Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as "Muslims of Indian descent", then it looks like a lot more than 200,000.

So while there may be 200,000 Muslims who identify as ethnically Indian, there are also 1.2 million (mostly) Muslims who identify as ethnically Pakistan, and if you are discussing Kashmir, they take an interest, too!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:46 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 pm
discovolante wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:14 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:

This page: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Indians) talks about 1.45 million British Indians and mentions that 14% are Muslim. 14% of 1.45 million is 203,000! (Is this where you got the number from?)

But this Wiki page: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... #Ethnicity) confirms the 1.45 million of Indian ethnicity, but also mentions 1.2 million of Pakistani ethnicity and nearly 0.5 million of Bangladeshi ethnicity. If you are counting Pakistanis and Bangladeshis as "Muslims of Indian descent", then it looks like a lot more than 200,000.

So while there may be 200,000 Muslims who identify as ethnically Indian, there are also 1.2 million (mostly) Muslims who identify as ethnically Pakistan, and if you are discussing Kashmir, they take an interest, too!
I got it from a combination of 2 figures on the 'Islam in the United Kingdom' page - but I suppose yes you would want to be looking outside India itself to anyone in the region who has ties or would be affected by the CAA. Point is though that 200k isnt a huge proportion of the population but it's not an inconsiderable number.

I read in the news this morning on that the police are being accused of getting in the way of Muslims injured in the violence from getting medical treatment. Not sure of the exact source of those allegations.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.