Sir Philip Rutnam

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Sir Philip Rutnam

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 pm

My major concern is Priti Patel will be appearing more frequently on TV, during the next few weeks. This will put our TV in grave danger; I am finding it increasingly difficult to avoid throwing something at the TV when she comes on.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Re: Sir Philip Rutnam

Post by bmforre » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:35 pm

My advice depends on whether you want to keep your present TV or get a new one?

To keep the TV undamaged a strong protective screen in front is a possibility.

Alternatively wear selfprotection against irritation threatening you and your TV. Will no-see glasses that turn black in an instant be enough or must sound be turned off too? Is there a suitable MC helmet that can be adapted?

If it comes to buying a new TV is there one available with instant blackout and muting that can be conveniently controlled?

I guess protecting irritating equipment in the US is made more difficult by the second amendment.

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Sorry, what was wrong with her waving a blue passport about, saying that's what people voted for?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Hadn't seen this story. This could be fun.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

plebian

Post by plebian » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm

The schadenfreudgasm of Patel and Cummings having to explain smoking gun emails (carefully saved in triplicate) under oath should be earth shattering. Will this be the thing that sinks the DCU?

So probs won't happen. What a shame. Shame I tell thee.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm

plebian wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm
The schadenfreudgasm of Patel and Cummings having to explain smoking gun emails (carefully saved in triplicate) under oath should be earth shattering. Will this be the thing that sinks the DCU?

So probs won't happen. What a shame. Shame I tell thee.
Where does Dublin City University fit into all this?

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Sorry, what was wrong with her waving a blue passport about, saying that's what people voted for?
It’s the way she oozes passionate insincerity that annoys me.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:42 pm

I'm going to start a sweepstake on how many cartoonists have something like this ready to submit. Imagine a door with a nameplate:

Spoiler:
Something something hammer something something nail

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Patel aside, the minister's the boss, and if her team are backsliding and obfuscating then that's on them.

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am

plodder wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Patel aside, the minister's the boss, and if her team are backsliding and obfuscating then that's on them.
Doesn't excuse bullying or other unreasonable behaviour.
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 am

Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am
plodder wrote:
I'm pretty sure he isn't doing. I think he's saying the buck stops with the minister in charge.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:57 am

Occam points to Priti being the problem.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:12 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:42 pm
I'm going to start a sweepstake on how many cartoonists have something like this ready to submit. Imagine a door with a nameplate:

Spoiler:
Or otherwise, musically -
It Ain't Priti - Lady Antebellum
Priti Hurts - Beyoncé
Priti Persuasion - R.E.M.

Carry on, the rest of you
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:11 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 am
Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:10 am
plodder wrote:
I'm pretty sure he isn't doing. I think he's saying the buck stops with the minister in charge.
What I’m saying is that if the team aren’t supporting the person in charge, then that’s their risk. I don’t condone acting like a tw.t, but I don’t doubt this guy was making life difficult for Patel.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Why wouldn't he? She's an obvious f.ckwit, promoted waaaay beyond her ability ... and he knows that bc that's his job.
Time for a big fat one.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:43 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:11 pm
What I’m saying is that if the team aren’t supporting the person in charge, then that’s their risk. I don’t condone acting like a tw.t, but I don’t doubt this guy was making life difficult for Patel.
Competent professionals often find that they are making life difficult for people like Patel just by turning up to work and doing their job.

See most of Trump's early cabinet and appointees.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. But I'm pissed.
Time for a big fat one.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:53 pm

Opti wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm
...But I'm pissed.
See, this is the kind of competence at your assigned role that I expect to see from a consummate professional like you.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Yup, Patel comes across as one of those who doesn't like being questioned or challenged, doesn't like to hear why their scheme won't work and we know that 'cos it was tried before, no matter how polite one is, interprets anything other than fawning as obstruction and likes to punch down...See many NHS managers.

Oh, and is not actually that bright - see also many NHS managers.

Experienced civil servants, especially at Rutnam's level, are well accustomed to dealing with erratic, here-today-gone-tomorrow (to borrow a phrase) politicians - see also many NHS managers...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:59 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:53 pm
Opti wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:47 pm
...But I'm pissed.
See, this is the kind of competence at your assigned role that I expect to see from a consummate professional like you.
Yup, Opti: lead by example!
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 pm

murmur wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:58 pm
Yup, Patel comes across as one of those who doesn't like being questioned or challenged, doesn't like to hear why their scheme won't work and we know that 'cos it was tried before, no matter how polite one is, interprets anything other than fawning as obstruction and likes to punch down...See many NHS managers.

Experienced civil servants, especially at Rutnam's level, are well accustomed to dealing with erratic, here-today-gone-tomorrow (to borrow a phrase) politicians - see also many NHS managers...
Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s now the boss and Rutnam was likely presenting problems rather than solutions. We’ll see whether his replacement gets on with her.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:33 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 pm
murmur wrote:

Yes, but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s now the boss and Rutnam was likely presenting problems rather than solutions. We’ll see whether his replacement gets on with her.
I believe the role of the Civil Service was to present options to the Minister for the Minister to choose and decide from. The Civil Servants advise, the Minister decides. It may be that Home Secretary was dissatisfied with the range of options being presented to choose from, as the traditional approach does not nurture revolutionary change.

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:33 pm
plodder wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:47 pm
murmur wrote:

I believe the role of the Civil Service was to present options to the Minister for the Minister to choose and decide from. The Civil Servants advise, the Minister decides. It may be that Home Secretary was dissatisfied with the range of options being presented to choose from, as the traditional approach does not nurture revolutionary change.
Or maybe she was talking b****cks and he told her

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:15 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 70251.html

In this piece, in the Independen’t about a man deported to Pakistan, despite a court order ruling it illegal, and flown back a few hours after he reached Pakistan, it says,
The Times reported last week that allegations against home secretary Priti Patel centre on bullying civil servants because they would not breach the court order.
The Times article is pay walled, so I can’t check whether they actually said that; I find it difficult to believe that even Priti Patel would be that stupid.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:15 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 70251.html

In this piece, in the Independen’t about a man deported to Pakistan, despite a court order ruling it illegal, and flown back a few hours after he reached Pakistan, it says,
The Times reported last week that allegations against home secretary Priti Patel centre on bullying civil servants because they would not breach the court order.
The Times article is pay walled, so I can’t check whether they actually said that; I find it difficult to believe that even Priti Patel would be that stupid.
Well, Amber Rudd got away with it.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.