Badger culling is ending

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Badger culling is ending

Post by Fishnut » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:13 pm

The government has announced that it will phase out badger culling in favour of vaccination trials. This is not before time though the phrasing of the announcement doesn't give much of a timeline and reserves the right to licence new culls.

Badger culling has a longer history than I realised. The link between badgers and TB was first posited in 1971 following the discovery of a dead TB-infected badger on farmland where TB was common in cattle. MAFF concluded in 1973 that badgers should be culled through gassing to reduce the spread of TB and by 1982 badgers were virtually eliminated in the South West (where TB was most prevalent) and there were no outbreaks for a decade. However, the Dunnet report (1986) found that while TB rates had declined in the South West as gassing was occurring, TB rates also decreased in other parts of the country where culling had not taken place. At the same time there were greater restrictions on cattle imports from Ireland and a better test that reduced false positives.

TB rates in cattle began to rise again during the 1980s and in 1996 the Krebs review was begun which published its findings in 1997. It concluded that there was "compelling" evidence that badgers were implicated in the spread of TB to cattle and so the Independent Scientific Group on Cattle TB (ISG) was formed in 1998. The ISG then established the Randomised Badger Culling Trial (RBCT) to test the impact of culling. The final report of the ISG (PDF) was published in 2007 and concluded that,
1. On the basis of our careful review of all currently available evidence, we conclude that badger culling is unlikely to contribute positively, or cost effectively, to the control of cattle TB in Britain (10.48 and 10.92).
2. We conclude that there is substantial scope for improvement of control of the disease through the application of heightened control measures directly targeting cattle. Therefore, we recommend that priority should be given to developing policies based on more rigorous application of control measures to cattle, in the absence of badger culling (10.57 and 10.93). [p23]
The report is really interesting and I recommend that anyone interested read it as it well written.

It points out that,
...the evidence of an association between M. bovis infection in badgers and in cattle, which is undisputed, is not the same as evidence of transmission from badgers to cattle. This therefore injects considerable uncertainty into how effective badger culling will be in reducing the risk of TB breakdowns...
...the magnitude of risk reduction resulting from badger removal may not be simply proportional to the quantitative importance of badger infection as a risk factor. The dynamics of the disease may involve two-way interactions between infection in badgers and in cattle. The badger culling policies of the past have been based on the implicit assumption that, in those areas where the incidence of TB breakdowns is high, it is infected badgers that have been the main source of continuing cattle infection, discounting the possibility that it could be transmitted in multiple directions and, in particular, from cattle to badgers.(p30)
It's a lovely example of correlation not equalling causation.

The ISG report notes that in undisturbed populations, badger groups generally occupied exclusive territories whereas in culled areas home-ranges expanded and overlapped, reducing territoriality (p70). This matches with an anecdote a local farmer told me which was that the best thing you could want was an uninfected badger group on your land because they'll keep any infected badgers away.

Incredibly, culling actually increased TB rates in badgers,
Overall, by the fourth cull the prevalence of infection was approximately double that recorded on the initial cull... Because of this rise in prevalence, the reduction in the density of badgers achieved by proactive culling was not associated with an equivalent reduction in the density of infected badgers (p78)
Despite all the data collected,
...[it] cannot conclusively demonstrate the direction of transmission. Hence, these patterns could be generated by badger-to-cattle transmission, cattle-to-badger transmission, or some combination of the two. (p83)
The foot-and-mouth outbreak in 2001 provided a natural experiment to test the impact of cattle-to-cattle and cattle-to-badger transmission (see p84 for the details). They found that rates of TB increased in badgers and cubs, and this was taken as potential evidence to suggest that,
cattle-to-badger transmission may be an important factor in TB dynamics [and] that cattle controls may have the capacity to influence not only cattle-to-cattle transmission but also, indirectly, the chances of reinfection from badgers through their effect on cattle-to-badger transmission. (p84)
Analysis of the culling data found that,
...proactive badger culling reduced the incidence of cattle TB inside trial areas, but elevated incidence on unculled land up to 2km outside. (p103)
A year later the government announced they would not pursue culling, instead favouring vaccination options.

And the authors concluded that,
...that there is convincing evidence that reactive culling of badgers, in the form and time span implemented in the RBCT, does not offer a beneficial effect large enough to make it useful as a practical policy option and that indeed there is substantial evidence of an adverse effect of that reactive culling strategy. (p113)
So in 2007 we knew that culling did not work. And the government listened. In 2008, Hilary Benn announced that the government would not support culling to control TB outbreaks based on the evidence of the ISG report.
Having listened carefully to a wide range of views from scientists, farming, veterinary and wildlife organisations, and many others, and having considered all the evidence, I have decided that although such a cull might work, it might also not work. It could end up making the disease worse if the cull was not sustained over time or delivered effectively, and public opposition, ​including the unwillingness of some landowners to take part, would render that more difficult. It would not be right to take that risk. Therefore, in line with the advice that I have received from the Independent Scientific Group, our policy will be not to issue any licences to farmers to cull badgers for TB control, although we remain open to the possibility of revisiting that policy under exceptional circumstances, or if new scientific evidence were to become available.
Despite all this the coalition government decided (PDF) that,
Having carefully considered all the evidence and the responses to the public consultation we held last autumn, we are of the view that badger culling could make an important contribution to our fight against TB as part of a comprehensive package of measures.
And so the latest round of ineffectual culling began. This time with far less scientific scrutiny than previous culls and while more evidence was being released that pointed out the ineffectiveness of culling and the need to focus on biosecurity in farms.

I don't know how many badgers have been culled since 2013, I don't even know if the government really knows, but it's clear that it's been a huge waste of time, money, and badger lives. It's good that the government is finally (if probably only temporarily) listening to the evidence but I can't help but feel this isn't really about evidence as much as it is political winds blowing against farmers for some reason.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Badger culling is ending

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Blimey, good post, fishnut. Don't really have anything to add but very interesting, thanks.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Seconded.

That really is very good.

science_fox
Snowbonk

Post by science_fox » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Sometimes you just want a LIKE button to save the need for commenting.

Note that these are details from the 2007 report (unless I'm misreading the OP?), hence all the current trials were always likely to be useless as so many of the loud voices against them stated, although science does require that negatives be tested too. I wonder if there will ever be a report published from the current trials.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 pm

science_fox wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 pm
Sometimes you just want a LIKE button to save the need for commenting.

Note that these are details from the 2007 report (unless I'm misreading the OP?), hence all the current trials were always likely to be useless as so many of the loud voices against them stated, although science does require that negatives be tested too. I wonder if there will ever be a report published from the current trials.
Indeed, this is a great post. And yes, everybody knew that culling badgers doesn't work before they started culling badgers.

I doubt that there will be a report, not least because they refused to collect any of the relevant data to monitor efficacy.

Has the NFU reduced its donations to the Tories or something?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm

science_fox wrote:
You're not misreading - everything I quoted, apart from where otherwise indicated, is from the 2007 report which was based on a decade-long experiment that resulted in numerous academic publications including in Nature. In contrast the most recent badger culling has been chaotic and expensive. In 2013 it cost around £4,121 for each badger shot and by 2015 that figure was £6,775/badger. Just policing the culls cost £3.2million in 2018, or, by my calculations, £99.31/badger. A Farmers Weekly article from 2013 decries the fact it cost £662 to vaccinate a badger, still a fraction of the cost of culling.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Really interesting, thanks for posting.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Nominated to Post of the Day.

Thank you for an interesting, if depressing, post

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm
science_fox wrote:
You're not misreading - everything I quoted, apart from where otherwise indicated, is from the 2007 report which was based on a decade-long experiment that resulted in numerous academic publications including in Nature. In contrast the most recent badger culling has been chaotic and expensive. In 2013 it cost around £4,121 for each badger shot and by 2015 that figure was £6,775/badger. Just policing the culls cost £3.2million in 2018, or, by my calculations, £99.31/badger. A Farmers Weekly article from 2013 decries the fact it cost £662 to vaccinate a badger, still a fraction of the cost of culling.
Worth pointing out the huge amount of work activists put into disrupting the full, which is the cause of the police costs. There's a few people I know for whom it has been a year round project, who are probably cracking out the champagne tonight whilst also wondering what they are going to do with all their spare time!

plodder
Stummy Beige

Badger cull

Post by plodder » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Looks like it’s quietly being dropped

https://mobile.twitter.com/RosieWoodrof ... 7840256000
Last edited by Bird on a Fire on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Nerd Lab and merged with this one

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm
science_fox wrote:
Worth pointing out the huge amount of work activists put into disrupting the full, which is the cause of the police costs. There's a few people I know for whom it has been a year round project, who are probably cracking out the champagne tonight whilst also wondering what they are going to do with all their spare time!
Their celebration is well deserved.

I'm all in favour of evidence-based policy, and scientists aiming to answer relevant questions and communicate better and so on - but there's still no guarantee we'll be listened to.

Sometimes you just have to turn up en masse and nature a right f.cking nuisance of yourselves.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Pucksoppet wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:03 pm
Nominated to Post of the Day.

Thank you for an interesting, if depressing, post
Thank you :)
mediocrity511 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pm
Great work from the activists :D Especially given the continued reports of cruelty surrounding the cull.

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Hypothesising here, rather than the excellent evidence-laden opening post. I also wonder if a reasonable proportion of anti-vaxxers are members of groups that have an interest in/position on being anti-badger culls, so the likes of PETA et al? And therefore, I wonder if anti-vaxxers will take any degree of interest in this move to vaccination? My hunch is not enough of an interest to derail stuff, or if they do try, they'll find it hard to gain traction ("But I thought you wanted us to stop culling?"... "Yes, but not like that" - might be a tricky message to sell)

Unsure specifically what the vaccine advances are that are being referred to. The University of Surrey do a lot in this area, such as this 2019 paper though the paper is on testing on guinea pigs. Their findings there are promising, efficacy was high and appeared to work well with the diagnostics. I assume there must be something a bit more advanced, surely not hanging the changes promised over the next few years on this particular hat.
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing url

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 pm

mikeh wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 pm
Unsure specifically what the vaccine advances are that are being referred to. The University of Surrey do a lot in this area, such as this 2019 paper though the paper is on testing on guinea pigs. Their findings there are promising, efficacy was high and appeared to work well with the diagnostics. I assume there must be something a bit more advanced, surely not hanging the changes promised over the next few years on this particular hat.
If the BBC report is correct (you never know, it happens sometimes), the line is that it's not a new vaccine but a new test that is able to tell whether a cow has been infected or whether it has been vaccinated. Officially, the opposition to vaccinating was that you couldn't tell the difference before (they have apparently never heard of the concept of "writing it down when you do stuff").

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:53 am

Excellent post, Fishnut.

I read that the government are calling this 'Phase Two' so they don't have to admit that culling was a waste of time and money.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:17 pm

According to the Torygraph badger culling is going to be phased out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... announces/

Well that's OK then; we know it doesn't work, but we'll keep on killing some just in case. Duh!
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.