Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Light of Blast

Russia Interference report

Post by Gfamily » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:59 pm

This from the 2020 Democratic Candidate thread
JQH wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:50 pm
TBH since I can't vote in the US I'm more concerned about the report into Russian interference in Britain, including the Brexit referendum, being biuried by Johnson and f.cking NOBODY is challenging him on this.
The UK Parliament Petitions site is back up.
There's a Release the Russia report Petition - including the need for reinstatement of the Intelligence and Security Committee

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300059
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

JQH
After Pie

Re: Russia Interference report

Post by JQH » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks for that. Signed and shared on Facebook. It's exceded the threshold for a government response twice over.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Re: Russia Interference report

Post by Pucksoppet » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:52 pm

On the topic of government petitions, I just got a message on this one.

Petition Parliament UK: Halt Brexit For A Public Inquiry
The UK's departure from the EU looms but questions remain about the legitimacy of the Referendum. The Electoral Commission said illegal overspending occurred during the Referendum. Were the vote/any subsequent political acts affected? Article 50 was triggered. Was the overspend known about then?
111,918 signatures
Parliament will debate this petition

Parliament will debate this petition on 23 March 2020.

You'll be able to watch online on the UK Parliament YouTube channel.
Government responded

This response was given on 15 April 2019

Investigations are conducted by the independent Electoral Commission. There are no plans to establish a Public Inquiry. The Government is committed to delivering the result of the EU referendum.

Date closed 5 September 2019
I laughed hollowly inwardly on receiving the email informing me that the debate was scheduled for the 23rd March 2020.

I recommend reading the government's full response.