COVID-19 in the United States

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4190
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:27 pm
And in the UK we have other measures.

Mainly schools closed. Also working from home.

Plus good level of masks, distancing, outdoor life, and reduced social activity.

The US is worse for all of those? Plus poor vaccination numbers.
Schools in much of the US are closed and have been for several weeks, many more like 6 weeks, simply because it's summer. Summer camps etc. are going on, but those are usually smaller groups and often outdoors. And more likely to be sorted by social status, which probably reduces mixing between vaccinated and unvaccinated households.

This bit of the US has also been vaccinating kids over 12 for a couple of months, with 3-4 weeks between shots.

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 pm

My work is now making everyone wear masks indoors (from tomorrow). No mandates from the city or state yet though, not sure they will come to be honest. The email I got mentioned that they were expecting cases to treble from what they are now, which would give us a slightly higher peak than last winter, when the hospitals were close to capacity, this was unsourced though.

Vaccination rate is up this week though. Think people might be starting to realise that things are bad.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Herainestold » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 pm

monkey wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 pm
My work is now making everyone wear masks indoors (from tomorrow). No mandates from the city or state yet though, not sure they will come to be honest. The email I got mentioned that they were expecting cases to treble from what they are now, which would give us a slightly higher peak than last winter, when the hospitals were close to capacity, this was unsourced though.

Vaccination rate is up this week though. Think people might be starting to realise that things are bad.
Does the carrot or the stick work better for motivating people to get vaccinated? I would like to believe that positive incentives work better, but it seems that scaring people has the most effect. I am scared enough that i would be out there vaccinating other people if I could.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:30 am

Herainestold wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 pm
monkey wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 pm
My work is now making everyone wear masks indoors (from tomorrow). No mandates from the city or state yet though, not sure they will come to be honest. The email I got mentioned that they were expecting cases to treble from what they are now, which would give us a slightly higher peak than last winter, when the hospitals were close to capacity, this was unsourced though.

Vaccination rate is up this week though. Think people might be starting to realise that things are bad.
Does the carrot or the stick work better for motivating people to get vaccinated? I would like to believe that positive incentives work better, but it seems that scaring people has the most effect. I am scared enough that i would be out there vaccinating other people if I could.
To be honest, I think the governor giving it out to the unvaccinated the other day helped. All she did was point the finger, and say it's the unvaccinated's fault cases are up, but she's a good person to do that round here.

User avatar
bolo
Catbabel
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by bolo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Biden is reportedly going to require vaccination (or frequent testing) for federal workers.

Some interestingly varied reactions from the unions:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... l-workers/

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm

molto tricky

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 pm

The US just reported 101 176 cases, up from 83 063 the day before and 9 690 on 28 June.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rendscases

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3967
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm


In an interview Sunday on “This Week,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the number of Americans who were already vaccinated was likely sufficient to prevent caseloads and hospitalizations on the scale seen by much of the country in the winter.

“I don’t think we’re going to see lockdowns,” he said. “I think we have enough of the percentage of people in the country — not enough to crush the outbreak — but I believe enough to not allow us to get into the situation we were in last winter. But things are going to get worse.”

Over the past two weeks, new coronavirus infections have risen by 148 percent in the United States, and hospitalizations have increased by 73 percent, according to New York Times data. The surge of infections has been largely attributed to the highly contagious Delta variant and to low vaccination rates in some states.

“We are seeing an outbreak of the unvaccinated,” Dr. Fauci said, noting that there are 100 million people in the United States who are eligible to get vaccinated but have not done so.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/01 ... e-unlikely

Looks like they’re not going to try to use further lockdowns to stop the unvaccinated getting infected.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Herainestold » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:30 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm


Looks like they’re not going to try to use further lockdowns to stop the unvaccinated getting infected.
There is not the political will to impose further lockdowns. Too bad , because a combination of lockdowns and mask mandates could stop this surge in its tracks, allowing time for another mass vaccination campaign.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Hooray!

Cases in my state (3rd wave) are now higher than they were last summer (1st wave) and we're about halfway to where we were last winter (2nd wave).

But are we going to have mask/social distancing laws again? Are we bollocks.

Hold my beer.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Herainestold » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:08 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:43 pm
Hooray!

Cases in my state (3rd wave) are now higher than they were last summer (1st wave) and we're about halfway to where we were last winter (2nd wave).

But are we going to have mask/social distancing laws again? Are we bollocks.

Hold my beer.
Be careful.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:34 am

molto tricky

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:54 pm

It was reported yesterday that my state has net* two ICU beds left. Not sure what it is locally for me, because they stopped reporting that, AFAICT, but I'm going to be extra careful about not getting run over on top of everything else. Things aren't as bad here as they are down south though.

It looks like cases are peaking, but given the ~2 week lag between cases and hospitalisation, it doesn't look good *at all*. Plus the schools opened the other week and the students are back at The University. And there's a Trump rally coming up this weekend, just after a massive country and western music festival in the same place last weekend.

The Guv'ner has declared an emergency, but that is just so paperwork for out of state doctors/nurses can be done faster, no masks or owt.



*Net because some hospitals are already putting ICU patients in non-ICU beds, and some still have some spare.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1307
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by Herainestold » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:40 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:54 pm
It was reported yesterday that my state has net* two ICU beds left. Not sure what it is locally for me, because they stopped reporting that, AFAICT, but I'm going to be extra careful about not getting run over on top of everything else. Things aren't as bad here as they are down south though.

It looks like cases are peaking, but given the ~2 week lag between cases and hospitalisation, it doesn't look good *at all*. Plus the schools opened the other week and the students are back at The University. And there's a Trump rally coming up this weekend, just after a massive country and western music festival in the same place last weekend.

The Guv'ner has declared an emergency, but that is just so paperwork for out of state doctors/nurses can be done faster, no masks or owt.



*Net because some hospitals are already putting ICU patients in non-ICU beds, and some still have some spare.
And the big motorcycle rally at Sturgis S. D., how many millions of cases will result?

America 7 day average deaths creeping up, 2/3 of what is was last year at this date, when there were no vaccinations.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:27 pm

On the intensive care wards getting full: the NYT have done a map - clicky

I'm in an orangey red bit.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 am

molto tricky

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4190
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:33 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 am
Texas governor Abbott, who fought mask mandates, tests positive for Covid

He's fully vaccinated.
And is asymptomatic.

And despite this, immediately advertised that he was a full course of Regeneron. I presume because he holds stock in the manufacturer </cynicism>.

I'm trying very hard to not schaden the freude, but I'm failing.

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4190
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:35 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:33 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 am
Texas governor Abbott, who fought mask mandates, tests positive for Covid

He's fully vaccinated.
And is asymptomatic.

And despite this, immediately advertised that he was a full course of Regeneron. I presume because he holds stock in the manufacturer </cynicism>.

I'm trying very hard to not schaden the freude, but I'm failing.
BTW, in case you think I'm being too cynical about Regeneron (from Florida rather than Texas) - https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/sta ... 30823?s=20

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:33 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 am
Texas governor Abbott, who fought mask mandates, tests positive for Covid

He's fully vaccinated.
And is asymptomatic.

And despite this, immediately advertised that he was a full course of Regeneron. I presume because he holds stock in the manufacturer </cynicism>.

I'm trying very hard to not schaden the freude, but I'm failing.
What do you mean, you're failing to not find shame in the joy?

Are you implying he's faking the positive covid result just to take Regeneron and therefore pump the stock? Does Regeneron actually work? I presume it would be too expensive for a normal person who was actually suffering from symptoms to be able to take so this hypocritical bigoted c.nt is just wasting it.
molto tricky

User avatar
dyqik
Light of Blast
Posts: 4190
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:50 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm
dyqik wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:33 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:56 am
Texas governor Abbott, who fought mask mandates, tests positive for Covid

He's fully vaccinated.
And is asymptomatic.

And despite this, immediately advertised that he was a full course of Regeneron. I presume because he holds stock in the manufacturer </cynicism>.

I'm trying very hard to not schaden the freude, but I'm failing.
What do you mean, you're failing to not find shame in the joy?
I mean that I don't speak German that well, and am just splitting words up to put other words in the middle of them for comic effect.
shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm
Are you implying he's faking the positive covid result just to take Regeneron and therefore pump the stock? Does Regeneron actually work? I presume it would be too expensive for a normal person who was actually suffering from symptoms to be able to take so this hypocritical bigoted c.nt is just wasting it.
I doubt he's faking the positive result. But like DeSantis, he is promoting it heavily on Twitter and in the press. And he's taking up healthcare resources which are stretched to breaking point.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:58 pm

I'd be more freudey if he were actually ill enough to be suffering.
molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:03 pm

molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:34 pm

molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:00 pm

Texas school district requires masks after finding dress code loophole to bypass ban.
“The Board [of Trustees] believes the dress code can be used to mitigate communicable health issues, and therefore has amended the PISD dress code to protect our students and employees,” read a part of the statement.
“Wonder what they would do if EVERY Parent against this pulled their kid(s) from their district all that money they would lose if they would then rethink this ‘Dress Code’ BS!” one parent shared in the discussion.
The city of Paris, with a population of about 25,000, currently has almost 3,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases.
molto tricky

monkey
Catbabel
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: COVID-19 in the United States

Post by monkey » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:00 pm
Texas school district requires masks after finding dress code loophole to bypass ban.
“The Board [of Trustees] believes the dress code can be used to mitigate communicable health issues, and therefore has amended the PISD dress code to protect our students and employees,” read a part of the statement.
“Wonder what they would do if EVERY Parent against this pulled their kid(s) from their district all that money they would lose if they would then rethink this ‘Dress Code’ BS!” one parent shared in the discussion.
The city of Paris, with a population of about 25,000, currently has almost 3,000 confirmed Covid-19 cases.
Similar has happened at Universities and vaccinations. Some states have banned their institutions from requiring vaccinations, some of those institutions are requiring tests for the unvaccinated instead - and charging a "Covid fee" for the privilege, which is really a de facto vaxx requirement.

Round here it often it seems like the politicians set the laws, but what happens is set by lawyers finding loopholes, or at least claiming to. This can be good or bad, as there are good laws and stupid ones, but it is always good for the lawyer's wallets.

(My place is not doing much for the students outside of pretty much begging them to get vaccinated, but all staff are getting a bonus if we've been jabbed. Masks are compulsory for all)

Post Reply