SARS-CoV-2 testing

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
headshot
Snowbonk

Re: SARS-CoV-2 testing

Post by headshot » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:44 pm
Has anyone had a PCR Home testing kit recently?
How much of the 'liquid' was in the sample receiving tube?

At the start of the week I reported a slight ringing in my ears on the Covid Zoe app. Next day I got an email suggesting that although this isn't a 'red flag symptom' for Covid, they would like to invite me to take a PCR home test as part of their study.

This is the second time I've had one of these, the first being back in May (negative result).

The first time, I recall there being no more than about a cm of the liquid in the bottom of the tube; whereas this time the tube was about half full.

What's it been for others?
About 1cm for the four I've done via Zoe.

Huh...ringing in the ears. I had that for a few weeks in late 2020, but didn't report it via Zoe.

Gfamily
After Pie

Post by Gfamily » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm
Gfamily wrote:
This is the second time I've had one of these, the first being back in May (negative result).
The first time, I recall there being no more than about a cm of the liquid in the bottom of the tube; whereas this time the tube was about half full.

Huh...ringing in the ears. I had that for a few weeks in late 2020, but didn't report it via Zoe.
I don't think it's a primary red flag for Covid, but I thought it worth reporting - the test came back negative anyway.

I have read someone describe ringing in the ears as a continuing side effect after recovering from a period with Covid
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Snowbonk

Post by headshot » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm
headshot wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm
Gfamily wrote:

I don't think it's a primary red flag for Covid, but I thought it worth reporting - the test came back negative anyway.

I have read someone describe ringing in the ears as a continuing side effect after recovering from a period with Covid
TBH, I just put mine down to stress, which has been considerate of late.

I mentioned it in a post on FB and a surprising number of people reported the same.

shpalman
Stummy Beige

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am

Peter Diamandis, "ENTREPRENEUR. SPEAKER. AUTHOR. INNOVATOR. PHILANTHROPIST." thought that creating a COVID “Immunity Bubble” for a small group in a TV studio setting was possible.

Guess what? It wasn't.
The bottom line is that I am sincerely and deeply sorry for the consequences of the choices we made. As a scientist, engineer and medical person, I believed we were using the very best that science had to offer. And I trusted that an immunity bubble was a “real thing”.

I no longer believe that.

In fact, further investigation into testing has revealed even more curious and concerning data. Once it was clear that I personally had contracted COVID-19 (which sucks as much as everyone says it does), I tested myself with Rapid PCR and Rapid Antigen every day, twice per day, for several consecutive days. I was flabbergasted that NONE of the tests turned up positive. I was consistently negative. Four days into my quarantine, I finally tested positive on a PCR “Spit Test” that measures viral load. I was told I was “highly infectious."
molto tricky

shpalman
Stummy Beige

Post by shpalman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm

molto tricky

jimbob
After Pie

Post by jimbob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:38 pm

For those wittering about false positives - NSW and Victoria have good Covid testing stats on their dashboards:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus ... nment-area

183,816 tests

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... s-nsw.aspx

I make that 188,797 plus 183,816 = 372,613 tests with zero positives.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation