SARS-CoV-2 testing

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
headshot
Dorkwood

Re: SARS-CoV-2 testing

Post by headshot » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:44 pm
Has anyone had a PCR Home testing kit recently?
How much of the 'liquid' was in the sample receiving tube?

At the start of the week I reported a slight ringing in my ears on the Covid Zoe app. Next day I got an email suggesting that although this isn't a 'red flag symptom' for Covid, they would like to invite me to take a PCR home test as part of their study.

This is the second time I've had one of these, the first being back in May (negative result).

The first time, I recall there being no more than about a cm of the liquid in the bottom of the tube; whereas this time the tube was about half full.

What's it been for others?
About 1cm for the four I've done via Zoe.

Huh...ringing in the ears. I had that for a few weeks in late 2020, but didn't report it via Zoe.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm
Gfamily wrote:
This is the second time I've had one of these, the first being back in May (negative result).
The first time, I recall there being no more than about a cm of the liquid in the bottom of the tube; whereas this time the tube was about half full.

Huh...ringing in the ears. I had that for a few weeks in late 2020, but didn't report it via Zoe.
I don't think it's a primary red flag for Covid, but I thought it worth reporting - the test came back negative anyway.

I have read someone describe ringing in the ears as a continuing side effect after recovering from a period with Covid
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:03 pm
headshot wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm
Gfamily wrote:

I don't think it's a primary red flag for Covid, but I thought it worth reporting - the test came back negative anyway.

I have read someone describe ringing in the ears as a continuing side effect after recovering from a period with Covid
TBH, I just put mine down to stress, which has been considerate of late.

I mentioned it in a post on FB and a surprising number of people reported the same.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am

Peter Diamandis, "ENTREPRENEUR. SPEAKER. AUTHOR. INNOVATOR. PHILANTHROPIST." thought that creating a COVID “Immunity Bubble” for a small group in a TV studio setting was possible.

Guess what? It wasn't.
The bottom line is that I am sincerely and deeply sorry for the consequences of the choices we made. As a scientist, engineer and medical person, I believed we were using the very best that science had to offer. And I trusted that an immunity bubble was a “real thing”.

I no longer believe that.

In fact, further investigation into testing has revealed even more curious and concerning data. Once it was clear that I personally had contracted COVID-19 (which sucks as much as everyone says it does), I tested myself with Rapid PCR and Rapid Antigen every day, twice per day, for several consecutive days. I was flabbergasted that NONE of the tests turned up positive. I was consistently negative. Four days into my quarantine, I finally tested positive on a PCR “Spit Test” that measures viral load. I was told I was “highly infectious."
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:25 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:38 pm

For those wittering about false positives - NSW and Victoria have good Covid testing stats on their dashboards:

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus ... nment-area

183,816 tests

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectiou ... s-nsw.aspx

I make that 188,797 plus 183,816 = 372,613 tests with zero positives.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:53 pm

So we did these newly available LFT tests today at home, as part of the twice weekly tests for households with kids thing.

After marvelling at being able to get the result there and then, like a pregnancy test, I wondered why I had to go to a special centre to get the testing kits. It seems like a much better idea to hand them out at the school gate. Is it because of safety or just man power?

Anyone know?

I also wondered this because the test centre was empty, not being used for testing, just handing out kits to be used at home. They said uptake had been slow...

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:49 pm

Maybe the logistics of getting the tests to school was awkward? Or the school didn't want lots of parents coming in?

Sister's school was initially saying you'd have to pick the LF tests up at a test centre, but then they said they'd do it at school I think. Idk if that's what happened; haven't spoken to her yet this week. (She's been doing twice weekly lateral flow tests at home for a while, 'cos she's on staff.)

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:45 am

So it seems the UK daily new case numbers have stopped falling.

But presumably this is due to the massive increase in LF testing at schools this week? Positive cases identified via that route are getting included in the daily totals aren't they?

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 am

raven wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:49 pm
Maybe the logistics of getting the tests to school was awkward? Or the school didn't want lots of parents coming in?

Sister's school was initially saying you'd have to pick the LF tests up at a test centre, but then they said they'd do it at school I think. Idk if that's what happened; haven't spoken to her yet this week. (She's been doing twice weekly lateral flow tests at home for a while, 'cos she's on staff.)
yes, probably logistics. My kids are both primary, where most parents come in (or rather drop at the gate).

Thinking about it, there may be also be a waste issue, where parents feel obliged to take the kits then they sit at home and are never used or just dumped in the bin one the way home. There's a real resistance to doing them, anecdotally because of the difficulty of swabbing a child (which I sympathise with - it's hard to do even remotely correctly, as in to the letter of the instructions, and often kids hate it and their resistance can be intense).

People going to collect kits at the test centre are almost definitely intending to use them.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:55 am

That makes sense. I'm thinking fewer primary parents will be up for testing their kids regularly too. Sister's school does have boxes of test kits on site, but not a lot of parents are picking them up so far.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:50 pm

the Guardian explains Bayes's theorem

To be fair, it should be taught to more people. I mention it in my masters' course.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:50 pm
the Guardian explains Bayes's theorem

To be fair, it should be taught to more people. I mention it in my masters' course.
It certainly should. I remember a few years back there being demands for mass testing for HIV/AIDS. Fortunately didn't happen partly through it being pointed out that there would be a truly enormous number of false positives.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:12 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm glad I had second thoughts and brought a few from Portugal now.

You just can't put your faith in anything run by the UK these days, especially pandemic related. What a shitshow.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:17 pm
I'm glad I had second thoughts and brought a few from Portugal now.

You just can't put your faith in anything run by the UK these days, especially pandemic related. What a shitshow.
Apparently it's a logistics thing https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/14 ... -153Q&s=19

I'm going to say, in fairness, that there has probably been a surge in demand recently that could have been planned for yes, but if it's only a short disruption then overall it's been a pretty good service.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Logistics linear. Demand exponential. I wonder how this is going to go.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Yeah I guess there's nothing like a perceived shortage to drive a surge in demand...there's time yet for it to calm down before Christmas :?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Probably everybody doing what I just did: trying to order a pack so we can test more often over Christmas before we meet up with elderly parents....

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:35 pm

We got our panic ordering in a couple of weeks ago :)

Interestingly, in addition to the requested pack of LFTs. they sent an unrequested PCR test with 'mailing box', presumably so we don't need to go online again if we get a +ve LFT.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm

I've done the Xmas present shopping, so there :P

Didn't think to order LFT early too. Ah well, it'll probably be up again soon.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:14 pm

jdc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:49 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:25 pm
Government figures from the mass testing programme in Liverpool showed that the tests missed half of all positive cases detected by the standard coronavirus tests, and missed 30% of those with a high viral load
“They are a low-tech test, they can’t detect low levels of the virus. The World Health Organization has said: ‘Don’t use it for this purpose’, the manufacturer said: ‘Don’t use it for this purpose’”
Dr Susan Hopkins, the chief medical adviser to NHS test and trace, defended the use of the tests, saying they had picked up many cases of infection which would otherwise have been missed.

“What we are doing here is case detection. We are not saying people do not have the disease if their test is negative,”
I read this in the BMJ yesterday: https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4690
Pollock believes that the harms of testing have not been adequately considered. “Some people are getting false reassurance as the tests are not very accurate,” she said. “People were being told on the radio that if they got a negative test they could go about their business.” She added that, since she raised concerns, the FAQ page on the Liverpool council website has been updated to include information on false negatives, and it now says that a negative lateral flow test result does not constitute a “green pass.”
The following quote looks to me like it's suggesting that this initial stage shouldn't have involved telling people to crack on once they got a negative test but that future stages would:
Buchan said that Liverpool was pursuing “SMART” testing: systematic, meaningful asymptomatic repeated testing. This has three components: test to protect (where testing is accessible to the whole community but can focus on people at highest risk, such as care home visitors), test to release (to enable people to exit quarantine earlier), and test to enable (to allow a return to activities).

Buchan said they were just completing the pilot’s first phase, which was about making testing accessible to all members of the community. They are about to enter phase 2, which is about targeting areas of high need, such as care home visiting, and release from lockdown.
Some fairly damning quotes from Pollock and Peto in the BMJ piece too:
“The whole thing seems extraordinarily rushed and poorly thought through. It appears they are making it up as they go along, and they have marginalised experts who could have offered help, such as the National Screening Committee.”
An advocate of mass testing, Julian Peto, professor of epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, told The BMJ, “The pilot scheme in Liverpool has been ridiculous and an absurd way to go about mass testing. It’s missing those in the areas that are most affected.” He added, “They have been inundated with the worried well, and those in the most deprived areas are not coming forward.”
Mass lateral flow testing cut the number of people needing hospital treatment for Covid by 32% and relieved significant pressure on the NHS
... an analysis of the press release, has shown that it was more successful than Liverpool’s scientists and public health teams had anticipated, after they compared Covid cases and outcomes in the region with other parts of England, according to the press release which we're copying and pasting out of and if we linked to the article that would only make it obvious.
Key workers saved 8,292 work days by taking the rapid tests instead of isolating. Of 34 Covid cases, only three were missed by LFTs.
ETA https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/coronavirus ... art-pilot/ but I can't obviously find anything recent.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:37 am

Covid self-isolation cut to seven days with negative test in England
Public health bosses say move for those who test negative on days six and seven will help support essential services

But strangely, my friend who has Covid and was supposed to be isolateing until the 24th just said this:
… they told me not to bother doing a PCR or lateral flow for 90 days as the results can be flawed
So should Covid+ people get tested or not??

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:56 am

**Test and Trace told him not to take tests.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:57 am

90 days!

But then the UK never had a protocol for declaring someone recovered from covid, did it?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk